Banter Random Discussion Thread 146 - Quinz still thinks he has a job

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finally got around to watching The Room last night.

It was the first time in a long time my eyes have been completely glued to the TV for the entirety of the movie.

Uncomfortable, made me feel sick at times yet completely enthralling and impossible to look away. Tommy Wiseau was tremendous.

Conspiracy theories make me despair because they detract from the actually ****ed things that are wrong with society. They make it impossible to have a mature conversation with any nuance, they destroy trust in important institutions and allow monied interests to degrade the remaining safeguards that actually protect people.

When the reality is there is no master plan, the system is ****ed. The modern multinational corporation was unforeseen when the limited liability company was envisioned nearly 200 years ago. Directors have a legal obligation to maximise value for their shareholders. There's no incentive to create jobs or provide fair pay, quite the opposite.

So you end up with serious money being lobbied at government to reduce regulation and erode safeguards. Disadvantaged folks lose their jobs, blame the government - often rightfully and then side with the monied megaphones that tell them the problem is government or immigrants or vaccines or the CSIRO or whatever. Your Trump's, Johnson's whatever, get in, the stock market goes up, people aren't any better off in real terms, but at least their sticking it to 'the big bad' or so they're told. And the cycle continues.

Drug companies do some nefarious s**t --> More regulation? No - Instead --> Vaccines create autism --> Buy completely unregulated supplements and don't vaccinate.

The working class is obliterated by offshoring and automation, the real economy is destroyed but the GDP goes up --> Immigrants are stealing our jobs.

The planet is heating but hugely powerful fossil fuel corporations still want to make a ton of money --> logical response - transition the economy, capitalise on an expanding market, create jobs and help save the planet --> Instead massive money is spent to make people think its some conspiracy by underpaid scientists.

Predatory social media algorithms, poor future prospects, social isolation and increased diagnosis --> mental illness is more common --> Response - It's gender or something? (Ok this one still doesn't make sense)

Sigh, we're ****ed.

Conspiracy theories make me despair because they detract from the actually f’ed things that are wrong with society. They make it impossible to have a mature conversation with any nuance, they destroy trust in important institutions and allow monied interests to degrade the remaining safeguards that actually protect people.

When the reality is there is no master plan, the system is f’ed. The modern multinational corporation was unforeseen when the limited liability company was envisioned nearly 200 years ago. Directors have a legal obligation to maximise value for their shareholders. There's no incentive to create jobs or provide fair pay, quite the opposite.

So you end up with serious money being lobbied at government to reduce regulation and erode safeguards. Disadvantaged folks lose their jobs, blame the government - often rightfully and then side with the monied megaphones that tell them the problem is government or immigrants or vaccines or the CSIRO or whatever. Your Trump's, Johnson's whatever, get in, the stock market goes up, people aren't any better off in real terms, but at least their sticking it to 'the big bad' or so they're told. And the cycle continues.

Drug companies do some nefarious s**t --> More regulation? No - Instead --> Vaccines create autism --> Buy completely unregulated supplements and don't vaccinate.

The working class is obliterated by offshoring and automation, the real economy is destroyed but the GDP goes up --> Immigrants are stealing our jobs.

The planet is heating but hugely powerful fossil fuel corporations still want to make a ton of money --> logical response - transition the economy, capitalise on an expanding market, create jobs and help save the planet --> Instead massive money is spent to make people think its some conspiracy by underpaid scientists.

Predatory social media algorithms, poor future prospects, social isolation and increased diagnosis --> mental illness is more common --> Response - It's gender or something? (Ok this one still doesn't make sense)

Sigh, we're f’ed.

4DCD6531-E9E1-4507-A8DE-1DB08178F4A0.jpeg

It was the first time in a long time my eyes have been completely glued to the TV for the entirety of the movie.

Uncomfortable, made me feel sick at times yet completely enthralling and impossible to look away. Tommy Wiseau was tremendous.
Well played, campaigner

Conspiracy theories make me despair because they detract from the actually f’ed things that are wrong with society. They make it impossible to have a mature conversation with any nuance, they destroy trust in important institutions and allow monied interests to degrade the remaining safeguards that actually protect people.

When the reality is there is no master plan, the system is f’ed. The modern multinational corporation was unforeseen when the limited liability company was envisioned nearly 200 years ago. Directors have a legal obligation to maximise value for their shareholders. There's no incentive to create jobs or provide fair pay, quite the opposite.

Sigh, we're f’ed.

$tl:dr$

Finally got around to watching A Room With a View last night.

Uncomfortable, made me feel sick at times yet completely enthralling and impossible to look away. Helena Bonham Carter was tremendous.

Finally got around to listening to Rumours last night.

It was the first time in a long time my ears have been completely glued to the speakers for the entirety of the album.

Uncomfortable, made me feel sick at times yet completely enthralling and impossible to step away. Lindsey Buckingham was tremendous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally got around to playing Doom last night.

It was the first time in a long time my eyes have been completely glued to the TV for the entirety of the game.

Uncomfortable, made me feel sick at times yet completely enthralling and impossible to look away. The BFG was tremendous.

Finally got around to playing Doom last night.

It was the first time in a long time my eyes have been completely glued to the TV for the entirety of the game.

Uncomfortable, made me feel sick at times yet completely enthralling and impossible to look away. The BFG was tremendous.
Them chunky old graphics can induce a barf these days

On this note though, has anyone been a Luna outdoor screening of it. Can't recommend highly enough.

Finally got around to cleaning my Room last night.

It was the first time in a long time my vacuum cleaner has been completely glued to the carpet for the entirety of the task.

Uncomfortable, made me feel sick at times yet completely enthralling and impossible to look away. The end result was tremendous.

Finally got around to listening to Boom! Shake the Room last night.

It was the first time in a long time my ears have been completely glued to the radio for the entirety of the song.

Uncomfortable, made me shake-shake-shake the room at times yet completely enthralling and impossible to not listen. The end result was Tic-tic-tic-tic Boom!

Finally got around to listening to The West Coast Eagles Big Footy Podcast last night.

It was the first time in a long time my ears have been completely glued to the earphones for the entirety of the dribble.

Uncomfortable, made me feel sick at times yet completely enthralling and impossible to look away. HoneyBadger35 was tremendous.

Last one from me, I promise -

Finally got around to going to the bathroom last night.

It was the first time in a long time my bum has been completely glued to the toilet for the entirety of my dump.

Uncomfortable, made me feel sick at times yet completely enthralling and impossible to look away. My output was tremendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back