Banter Random Discussion Thread 146 - Quinz still thinks he has a job

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, if your little girl has been naughty and you threaten to send her to the Naughty Girls' School, do NOT google "Naughty Schoolgirls" infront of her to show her what they look like.

The oldest line in the book - “no honey, I swear it was just...no I was just....”

Also, if your little girl has been naughty and you threaten to send her to the Naughty Girls' School, do NOT google "Naughty Schoolgirls" infront of her to show her what they look like.

Your mishap reminds me of a story from the day after Halloween a couple years back. We had some excess lollies left over in the car. I had to duck out for something without my kids and I saw a few random kids on the street. Without thinking things through, I pulled up and asked them if they wanted some lollies. They were obviously well schooled in stranger danger and said no, giving me a disturbed look. I then realised how things must've looked.

I’m often driving around late at night due to work and it’s not unusual to see young women walking alone. For an instant you think of offering them a lift so they get to their destination safely, but quickly realise that for them a middle aged man alone in a car randomly asking if they want to get in is going to set off alarm bells

Last edited:
Your mishap reminds me of a story from the day after Halloween a couple years back. We had some excess lollies left over in the car. I had to duck out for something without my kids and I saw a few random kids on the street. Without thinking things through, I pulled up and asked them if they wanted some lollies. They were obviously well schooled in stranger danger and said no, giving me a disturbed look. I then realised how things must've looked.

Nothing suss
free-candy.jpg

I’m often driving around late at night due to work and it’s not unusual to see young women walking alone. For an instant you think of offering them a lift so they get to your destination safely, but quickly realise that for them a middle aged man alone in a car randomly asking if they want to get in is going to set off alarm bells

When we were kids ( from 12 up) we hitch hiked every where
As did a lot of people - it was pretty common ( the 80’s)

Havnt seen people do it for years now in our “progressive“ society
It would appear there is a break down of trust (in our “progressive“ society)

I wonder why?

Drove past a person trying to hitch hike in joondalup ... The guy looked like he had been partying hard for 2 days and just needed a lift a couple 100m's down the street haha.

How is Jesse these days?

I’d wager its because of all the murders and missing children, but I’m willing to bet that’s not going to be right.

Yep, no doubt that played a significant part in it - the birnies

But if memory serves me correctly, people were still doing well into the mid 90s after the birnies ( and people more aware of the risks ) were caught

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got a phone call from this guy who said I'd be as happy as him if I sent him a dollar. I did and it didn't work, maybe this is the scam Georgie has heard of?

There is a scene in one flew over the cuckoo‘s nest where jack Nicolson is talking to the head psychiatrist
From memory the scene went something like this -

psychiatrist: you seem to be having a problem with nurse ratchet
jack: well she’s something of a c**t aint she doc
psychiatrist: how do you mean?
Jack: she likes to play with a loaded deck

Wow I'm so glad Georgie is here to tell me my depression and generalised anxiety is nothing but $CaPiTaLiSm$ at its finest.

What. The. fu**.

Im not saying anxiety or depression are not real
I am saying the deck is loaded

I know nothing about drones or how much they’re worth - she did say it was worth about $150 so I figured it was a crap one. Even then it was still way more than needed to be offered for a short ride and SHOULD have been an obvious clue that something was awry. It just didn’t

Good thing I didn’t take it though as I’d have been guilty of receiving stolen goods
I assumed drone was some slang/euphemism i wasn't aware of.

Also when negative stereotypes are used to discriminate people unfairly

Speaking of which

On Monday night, I was approached by a lady in her thirties at a guess needing a lift from Whitfords shopping centre to the train station about 5 minutes drive away as the next bus was a 30+ minute wait. Offered to give me a drone as payment which should have triggered suspicion but inexplicably didn’t. She was polite, spoke coherently and seemed harmless enough so since I was at a bit of a loose end at the time gave her a lift

Dropped her off at the train station no dramas, told her not to worry about the drone and that was that. Or so I thought

Yesterday, I got a phone call from the cops. On Monday night a woman was clearly visible on CCTV going on something a stealing spree through the shopping centre, walking outside, getting in a car (my car) and driving off. For all intents and purposes it looked to them as if it was prearranged rather than the chance encounter that it actually was.

A 5 minute phone call cleared it up leaving me to ponder what I might do next time and whether I’d act differently by not ignoring the negative stereotype I could/should have applied
in this instance

And to think I thought I was doing the right thing
Ten years ago I accidentally helped an young Aboriginal kid steal a motorbike. I was walking home from work and saw a kid struggling to push a bike across South street and I ran over and helped him. I burned my hard pretty badly on the burning hot exhaust pipe and he thanked me for helping him. Walking home I realised the kid likely stole the bike from someone who'd just parked it hence the hot exhaust still (and the absurdity of an eleven or twelve year old kid with a motorbike) and lol'd when I further made a realisation that if the police ever find the bike they might find my DNA on it from the burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back