Random discussion thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Working from home, work-life balance.

I'm looking to return to Australia after a few years working overseas.

I've been turned off a few jobs because they only allow 1 day per week of working from home. I was thinking that I would want to WFH at least 2 days a week, perhaps 3. I've got 4 kids under 5, so I want to be around for them. I enjoy being there when they get back from school, having lunch with my (Stay at home) wife, and avoiding long commutes.

What is everyone's view on WFH is a post-COVID world? Am i being too greedy?
None of my business, but I don't think "greedy" is the word to describe your feelings. What I would do in a similar situation is try and prioritize things and maybe weigh some alternatives. For example, could your desire to work from home be mitigated by a proximity to your workplace? IOW, if you had a 5 minute walk to an office, would you really need more than one day working from home? Does being with your family outweigh the desire to live in Australia? I was never very good at this, so I wouldn't speak to what works for you, but that would be my approach...

I've been turned off a few jobs because they only allow 1 day per week of working from home. I was thinking that I would want to WFH at least 2 days a week, perhaps 3. I've got 4 kids under 5, so I want to be around for them. I enjoy being there when they get back from school, having lunch with my (Stay at home) wife, and avoiding long commutes.

What sector are you in out of interest?

I have been able to negotiate with my employer for me to move to Melbourne and work 3 weeks per month from home, with the other week entirely in the office up in Brisbane. A few people at my work have done similar things. My company though has been pretty positive on being flexible with working arrangements

What sector are you in out of interest?

I have been able to negotiate with my employer for me to move to Melbourne and work 3 weeks per month from home, with the other week entirely in the office up in Brisbane. A few people at my work have done similar things. My company though has been pretty positive on being flexible with working arrangements
Corporate Finance / Restructuring. I'm not sure whether its a positive or negative

It’s a very interesting time for employers and businesses with their practices and protocols around work flexibility.

If they’re not up to speed on the needs and feelings of the post-Covid workforce they’re going to lose valuable employees very quickly.

Just recently we lost a guy to a competitor who was told that in order to be promoted to a more senior role within supply chain that they really wanted him to move into that he would need to move to Sydney, despite the person who is currently in that role having worked from home for the last 2 years full time. Madness.

He resigned.

There’s a lot on offer out there at the moment.

It’s a very interesting time for employers and businesses with their practices and protocols around work flexibility.

If they’re not up to speed on the needs and feelings of the post-Covid workforce they’re going to lose valuable employees very quickly.

Just recently we lost a guy to a competitor who was told that in order to be promoted to a more senior role within supply chain that they really wanted him to move into that he would need to move to Sydney, despite the person who is currently in that role having worked from home for the last 2 years full time. Madness.

He resigned.

There’s a lot on offer out there at the moment.
I'm interested to see how the post-covid WFH is looking like in Melbourne. I wonder which employers will modernise and accept that, or stay dinosaurs.

In my corp. finance role, I have been executing my role for the last 2 years, whilst WFH 4 days a week.
I'm happy to go into the office 2 or 3 days a week if needed, but the flexibility to that being on my terms is important.

Looking at roles to come back to Aus for, the flexibility of WFH is probably one of the items top of the list that makes me decide if I pursue the opportunities or not. I'd say is above pay at this point too.

I'm interested to see how the post-covid WFH is looking like in Melbourne. I wonder which employers will modernise and accept that, or stay dinosaurs.

In my corp. finance role, I have been executing my role for the last 2 years, whilst WFH 4 days a week.
I'm happy to go into the office 2 or 3 days a week if needed, but the flexibility to that being on my terms is important.

Looking at roles to come back to Aus for, the flexibility of WFH is probably one of the items top of the list that makes me decide if I pursue the opportunities or not. I'd say is above pay at this point too.
It's a fair call. It'shighly important in this day and age.

I've been approached very informally by a competitor recently, and the first thing they asked is how I felt about working from home, and when I said that I was liking it, they immediately said "you'd just keep doing what you're doing right now, no need to go into any office, unless you felt the need".

I can't get my head around businesses who are not flexible right now.

Bit of a late response, not sure if you've had much luck finding something more flexible.

I'm in IT and changed jobs in November, I had quite a few recruiters ring about roles in other cities that were 100% remote which I had to turn down as I actually wanted something where I could go in at least a day or 2 (but still a couple of days at home). Pretty much everyone was fairly flexible though, so it is surprising to hear your industry is that different. At my current role, different teams are in on different days, so I've never seen the office full. Right now, there's literally only 5 of us in the whole office!

I've only got the one kid, born just before COVID hit (or just before s**t really hit the fan anyway), it has been nice to spend more time with him in those early stages than I would have otherwise. So I can definitely understand your want to do similar. I don't think it's unreasonable.

Good day Hawks supporters.

I'm an American footy fan and podcaster (A Yank on the Footy). I have been following the game since 2016, and footy has become my sole sports focus.

I've had a small thread in the podcast section of Big Footy for a few years. While we are mired in the offseason, I am working to set up some discussions with supporters that want to discuss their most memorable game. If you're interested, please consider reaching out to me at ayankonthefooty@gmail.com. My first episode of this series (recalling a game from 1973) is out now.

Cheers,
Craig Wessels
Host of "A Yank on the Footy" Podcast
Sandusky, Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm an American footy fan and podcaster (A Yank on the Footy). I have been following the game since 2016, and footy has become my sole sports focus.

Hey Craig, I follow you on twitter, keep those tweets coming - just not about Geelong that is all! :).

Good luck with the broadcasts.

Hey Craig, I follow you on twitter, keep those tweets coming - just not about Geelong that is all! :).

Good luck with the broadcasts.
I do my level best to not sledge any clubs, as I absolutely love the game. Of course I support the club I chose to support, but I won't denigrate any other club to shine the spotlight on them. Unless of course, it is to give the Tigers a hard time about always complaining about having to go play at Marvel every once in a while.
tv land lol GIF by nobodies.

I've had a small thread in the podcast section of Big Footy for a few years. While we are mired in the offseason, I am working to set up some discussions with supporters that want to discuss their most memorable game. If you're interested, please consider reaching out to me at ayankonthefooty@gmail.com. My first episode of this series (recalling a game from 1973) is out now.

Cheers,
Craig Wessels
Host of "A Yank on the Footy" Podcast
Sandusky, Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
A Cats fan AND an Ohio resident????? Not sure how much lower you can go! LOL

I'm actually very happy to hear about your podcast and will be looking into it. Always great to discover new Yank footy fans!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On this day in 2008 we lost a good one.

Rest In Peace Clinton Grybas. I always remember when working in the media suites @ a major sporting venue how, even when he only had like 4 minutes to make a cup of coffee and grab something to eat during the half time break in the football broadcast, Clinton would see me and say "How those Hawks going?" or words similar.

So as I take a break in my busy schedule of life, I remember you Clinton and say, "Those Hawks are going well!".

RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back