Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

lol
Was one of the more defining images of my childhood!
Loved the commentary at the time too. Think it was Peter Landy who was beside himself with glee
Screaming over and over A Beauty A Beauty! lol

What was a little more unsettling though was Robbie's wild haymaker he threw at some little kid
Running off the ground after the siren!
Thankfully it too missed!

Dont start me on that Plugger , if you think planes hit the towers the way it appeared on TV ,,,,,,,,,,

I can destroy this one if you like.

As well as being an artist and lecturer, I did my first degree as an Architect and have worked the architectural and structural design fields for much of my life.

After September the 11th, the structural design world went into an analysis meltdown asking "what the * happened". And not for the obvious reason, because many structural designers in the know were wondering why the towers, both of them, feel straight down... and didnt fall over at the point of impact, taking out other buildings and killing 1000s more in the process.

The quick realisation was that these two buildings were not built the same way many other buildings since the 50s have been. Most buildings now are build with the a central concrete core and a column and beam structure radiating out, one column on top of each other to the outside surface of the building, supporting the structure from the inside out. it makes a ridged building than needs only cladding on the outside and can be almost completely cast in concrete. Like a medieval cathedral.

The twin towers were build in an old Romanesque style, all structure on the outside, almost completely out of steel (because they didn't know how high they could build a core building). All the ribs on the outside of the building are very close together, tighter than most buildings to allow it to be as tall as it is. This is backed up by the fact that people who worked in the buildings commented that you could hear people talking in the elevators, through core wall (because it was made of drywall and not concrete) as they speed past, and that the building could move upwards of 10 metres at the top floor, from its central line on a windy day, because its steel.

So why is this important? Well when those planes hit, they both hit the middle of one side of the each building destroying the steel columns on one side of each structure, and bending the columns of 3 or 4 levels out on the other 3 sides in the explosion zone. The threory that steel doesn't melt at this temps is correct (sort of), but melting wasn't the problem... Dead weight was!

So as the hours pasted and the stress on those 3 sides of structure grows, the steel on each beam reaches overload, then all at once (like a dam) the steel in those sides fails, and the dead load shifts, gains moment and pushes out the next set of columns below, and the momentum of 25 and 45 levels of steel takes over. As each level shifts the columns bend and a puff of smoke appears on the outside of the building at the centre of each column (in slow motion analysis). This is the government explosive conspiracy: if this building was to fall down that way, the puff of smoke would be on the inside to pushing the column out, this theory is made up by people thinking this is a core building which explodes from the outside in...and is fause!

So the building collapses straight down because each level of columns collapses out and and momentum began straight down so it continues that way. And, as extra proof, the building that got hit second go's first because the plane struct lower on the building, meaning this building had more dead weight above the explosion zone weakening that steel quicker.

How do I know all this? I was living in London at the time and my company which was developing a lot of the load modelling programs for earthquakes was tasked with modelling the attack. I was designing the models at the time.

As for the "government allowed the terrorists to do this" theory, I have no information, but the structural information does prove that these buildings did fall down because a plane flew into the side of each tower.

Sorry for the long email... I hope the American landed on the moon, because this was a great moment that made humanity feel united and small, and we need to feel small more often!

Thanks for taking the time to write this , i have no doubt you are a smart person and what you say does sound viable but the only problem is that for every person like you there are the same amount of qualified people saying it wasn't planes , anyway im not going to argue , we just have a different opinion

It was horrendous and surreal at the same time, it went from shots of planes hitting buildings without commentary for a sizeable portion to people jumping to their deaths. What was there to say? How do you describe that?.
They bought out a magazine not long after the incident , it had the most amazing horrific photos you have ever seen , it will never be forgotten no matter what happened there

Thanks for taking the time to write this , i have no doubt you are a smart person and what you say does sound viable but the only problem is that for every person like you there are the same amount of qualified people saying it wasn't planes , anyway im not going to argue , we just have a different opinion

No probs. There is nothing wrong with a different opinion, as there is nothing wrong with discussion or assessment. Things should always be analyzed and I have seen the same information about it not being the planes. My statement just informs you that if it was the planes, the maths works out.

Regardless, as you said, thousands of innocent people died on a terrible day, regardless of what opinion we all have, the tragedy can't be denied.

Last edited:
Your daughter must be thrilled.
Brian Lara named his daughter Sydney, after making his maiden test ton at the SCG, turning it into a massive 275 (run out). On hearing this, the late, great Richie Benaud remarked "Just as well he didn't play that innings in Lahore! "

And Trump is milking it for all it’s worth. When is the next election?

Given the arithmetic in parliament, with the Conservatives relying upon the loonies from Northern Ireland, the DUP, to get any legislation passed, it could be soon - perhaps within 12 months.

The other 27 countries of the EU have been laughing at us since the Brexit vote in 2016; now the whole world will be laughing. It looks very likely we will leave the EU without a trade deal, led by a serial liar and serial adulterer. He has a reputation as a deeply unpleasant and elitist individual - there are many unpleasant stories about him floating around. So called 'family values' Conservatives have proven that, in electing Johnson, they don't really care about that stuff at all.

I'm tired of seeing this country drifting towards American style populism, and Johnson is the standard-bearer for that. We are being swept away in a tide of glib promises and a good helping of intolerance, which has been stoked by the right wing press for decades.

I fear some very bad times ahead.

Given the arithmetic in parliament, with the Conservatives relying upon the loonies from Northern Ireland, the DUP, to get any legislation passed, it could be soon - perhaps within 12 months.

The other 27 countries of the EU have been laughing at us since the Brexit vote in 2016; now the whole world will be laughing. It looks very likely we will leave the EU without a trade deal, led by a serial liar and serial adulterer. He has a reputation as a deeply unpleasant and elitist individual - there are many unpleasant stories about him floating around. So called 'family values' Conservatives have proven that, in electing Johnson, they don't really care about that stuff at all.

I'm tired of seeing this country drifting towards American style populism, and Johnson is the standard-bearer for that. We are being swept away in a tide of glib promises and a good helping of intolerance, which has been stoked by the right wing press for decades.

I fear some very bad times ahead.
He certainly comes across that way to me. His whole persona is so pathetically staged, even by politicians standards. The disheveled, slightly eccentric but well meaning character is in complete discord with his cynical political maneuvering.
As for Brexit, it has to go down as one of the greatest political miscalculations in recent times. So easy to fix through an informed re-vote but that's not possible with self-serving clowns like Boris I guess.

I thought I was the only one. Me too.
He certainly comes across that way to me. His whole persona is so pathetically staged, even by politicians standards. The disheveled, slightly eccentric but well meaning character is in complete discord with his cynical political maneuvering.
As for Brexit, it has to go down as one of the greatest political miscalculations in recent times. So easy to fix through an informed re-vote but that's not possible with self-serving clowns like Boris I guess.

Troompf has called Boris, "The British Trump." I'm not sure I wouldn't sue if I was described in that way.

Anyhoo, we can't say we weren't warned. Nostradamus foretold it and it is prophesied in the Book of Revelation. "And he shall know the beasts by their ridiculous hairstyles. The white haired clown will have his mentor from across the seas clear a path for him. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth will follow. If thou hath no teeth, they will be provided."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Troompf has called Boris, "The British Trump." I'm not sure I wouldn't sue if I was described in that way.

Anyhoo, we can't say we weren't warned. Nostradamus foretold it and it is prophesied in the Book of Revelation. "And he shall know the beasts by their ridiculous hairstyles. The white haired clown will have his mentor from across the seas clear a path for him. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth will follow. If thou hath no teeth, they will be provided."
Ah, free teeth! Add hair & I drop my principles and he gets my vote...

I can destroy this one if you like.

As well as being an artist and lecturer, I did my first degree as an Architect and have worked the architectural and structural design fields for much of my life.

After September the 11th, the structural design world went into an analysis meltdown asking "what the fu** happened". And not for the obvious reason, because many structural designers in the know were wondering why the towers, both of them, feel straight down... and didnt fall over at the point of impact, taking out other buildings and killing 1000s more in the process.

The quick realisation was that these two buildings were not built the same way many other buildings since the 50s have been. Most buildings now are build with the a central concrete core and a column and beam structure radiating out, one column on top of each other to the outside surface of the building, supporting the structure from the inside out. it makes a ridged building than needs only cladding on the outside and can be almost completely cast in concrete. Like a medieval cathedral.

The twin towers were build in an old Romanesque style, all structure on the outside, almost completely out of steel (because they didn't know how high they could build a core building). All the ribs on the outside of the building are very close together, tighter than most buildings to allow it to be as tall as it is. This is backed up by the fact that people who worked in the buildings commented that you could hear people talking in the elevators, through core wall (because it was made of drywall and not concrete) as they speed past, and that the building could move upwards of 10 metres at the top floor, from its central line on a windy day, because its steel.

So why is this important? Well when those planes hit, they both hit the middle of one side of the each building destroying the steel columns on one side of each structure, and bending the columns of 3 or 4 levels out on the other 3 sides in the explosion zone. The threory that steel doesn't melt at this temps is correct (sort of), but melting wasn't the problem... Dead weight was!

So as the hours pasted and the stress on those 3 sides of structure grows, the steel on each beam reaches overload, then all at once (like a dam) the steel in those sides fails, and the dead load shifts, gains moment and pushes out the next set of columns below, and the momentum of 25 and 45 levels of steel takes over. As each level shifts the columns bend and a puff of smoke appears on the outside of the building at the centre of each column (in slow motion analysis). This is the government explosive conspiracy: if this building was to fall down that way, the puff of smoke would be on the inside to pushing the column out, this theory is made up by people thinking this is a core building which explodes from the outside in...and is fause!

So the building collapses straight down because each level of columns collapses out and and momentum began straight down so it continues that way. And, as extra proof, the building that got hit second go's first because the plane struct lower on the building, meaning this building had more dead weight above the explosion zone weakening that steel quicker.

How do I know all this? I was living in London at the time and my company which was developing a lot of the load modelling programs for earthquakes was tasked with modelling the attack. I was designing the models at the time.

As for the "government allowed the terrorists to do this" theory, I have no information, but the structural information does prove that these buildings did fall down because a plane flew into the side of each tower.

Sorry for the long email... I hope the American landed on the moon, because this was a great moment that made humanity feel united and small, and we need to feel small more often!

I thought the twin towers had all their weight bearing structure around the internal elevator shafts like 4 internal columns that took the bulk of the load. I thought it was some mid century modern architectural technique to keep the fine line of the building. The external facades were supporting themselves rather than load bearing the main structure.

Can still work with your theory though. s**t wants to fall when gravity is involved so give it a weakness and it comes down. It's like religion, having a conspiracy helps process the meaningless nature of it all. Somehow the banality of a few religious nutters that reeked terror and havoc on the free world through one set of terrible acts seems like it's not big enough to explain it away.

Heatwave here in the UK. Today the all time record high temperature is expected to be beaten, with 39 degrees expected in London and the south-east. A very warm 33 expected here in the north-west. We aren't accustomed to this.

Jeeeeeesus, that's going to melt the paint off everything there. I need three jackets and snow boots on a normal English summer day.

Heatwave here in the UK. Today the all time record high temperature is expected to be beaten, with 39 degrees expected in London and the south-east. A very warm 33 expected here in the north-west. We aren't accustomed to this.

Was it around 10 years ago when lots of elderly died when temps hit mid 30’s over there?
Stay safe!

Last edited:
I thought the twin towers had all their weight bearing structure around the internal elevator shafts like 4 internal columns that took the bulk of the load. I thought it was some mid century modern architectural technique to keep the fine line of the building. The external facades were supporting themselves rather than load bearing the main structure.

Can still work with your theory though. s**t wants to fall when gravity is involved so give it a weakness and it comes down. It's like religion, having a conspiracy helps process the meaningless nature of it all. Somehow the banality of a few religious nutters that reeked terror and havoc on the free world through one set of terrible acts seems like it's not big enough to explain it away.

there's a whole conspiracy theory thread about it somewhere on bf. It does your head in, its on its third or forth chapter.

.1 The maths is really hard so most people go by you tube video. It looks just like a controlled demolition, except the controlled demolitions on other youtube video's which are actually very different and make loud booming noises when they go off.

2. One of the smaller building that collapsed, had been extended from an even smaller building and had really suspect foundations.

3. Most plausible theory's end up requiring the use of some secret thermite ( nanothermite ) material that has yet to be proven to exisit.

4. Every time someone proves a point , the subject suddenly changes to another discrepancy.

There's more of it flying around than if a cyclone hit the milking shed.

Please don't do it to this thread.

Jeeeeeesus, that's going to melt the paint off everything there. I need three jackets and snow boots on a normal English summer day.

Except the train lines, that only happens over here.

You also need an umbrella for the English summer as well, should just be an extended spring really.

Spring, second spring, autumn, winter.

Except the train lines, that only happens over here.

You also need an umbrella for the English summer as well, should just be an extended spring really.

Spring, second spring, autumn, winter.
Na thier train lines are set up to cope with less heat then ours are. Some of the trains aren't even air conditioned!

Boris Johnson, our very own Donald Trump.

What a mess we are in; a total laughing stock.

It's alright the Irish made us laugh so hard about your cricket team we forgot about Boris.

there's a whole conspiracy theory thread about it somewhere on bf. It does your head in, its on its third or forth chapter.

.1 The maths is really hard so most people go by you tube video. It looks just like a controlled demolition, except the controlled demolitions on other youtube video's which are actually very different and make loud booming noises when they go off.

2. One of the smaller building that collapsed, had been extended from an even smaller building and had really suspect foundations.

3. Most plausible theory's end up requiring the use of some secret thermite ( nanothermite ) material that has yet to be proven to exisit.

4. Every time someone proves a point , the subject suddenly changes to another discrepancy.

There's more of it flying around than if a cyclone hit the milking shed.

Please don't do it to this thread.

It's come home to random for you. Don't get upset.

Same here in Sweden, it's brilliant.

Next 3 days are over 30. I actually bought a house with a pool and outdoor bar area 4 years ago that all my family and mates in Australia laughed at when I bought it and sent them pictures as they thought you only get to use it for 3 months and even then it isn't usually very hot. But the last 2 summers have been amazing and, as it doesn't get dark until late here, you get your money's worth if the weather is good.

Can't wait for Saturday. 31 degrees, I have friends over for a BBQ with the Saints scheduled to play at 1115 in the morning and a fridge full of cold beer.... it certainly beats watching the footy on cold Melbourne's winter night ;).

Same here in Sweden, it's brilliant.

Next 3 days are over 30. I actually bought a house with a pool and outdoor bar area 4 years ago that all my family and mates in Australia laughed at when I bought it and sent them pictures as they thought you only get to use it for 3 months and even then it isn't usually very hot. But the last 2 summers have been amazing and, as it doesn't get dark until late here, you get your money's worth if the weather is good.

Can't wait for Saturday. 31 degrees, I have friends over for a BBQ with the Saints scheduled to play at 1115 in the morning and a fridge full of cold beer.... it certainly beats watching the footy on cold Melbourne's winter night ;).

43 degrees in Paris today! Record temperature broken in France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg.

On a serious note, climate change is a big factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back