Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unsurprisingly lots about the umpire is crap and very little about Lyons incompetence in stuffing up a straight forward run out.

I have to say when I saw the ball live I immediately thought Not Out!!!. Going down legside.

And I've watched it about 20 times now, slowed it down to 1/4 speed, marked my screen with texta's but every time I rerun it at normal speed I still can't believe that the ball wasn't going to miss leg stump. Right arm around the wicket ball pitching in line with leg stump, understandable call in the situation.

Anyway - what everyone should be talking about is the absolute audacity and brilliance of Ben Stokes innings. 3 of 73 balls before the new ball was taken and finishes the test off with 135 off 218 balls - including 75 of the last wicket stand of 76 - absolutely staggering innings.

That reverse sweep of Lyon and the ramp shot were absolutely incredible - the innings was the perfect blend test stoicism and one day bravado.

All the bolded says is that you are added to the list of people that 100% shouldn't be umpiring cricket at international level - a list with Joel Wilson at the very top of it.

Not sure how you could miss the ball straightening. It was full too, so height was instantly a non-issue for an umpire - completely out of the equation. To a lefty so no issue with pitching outside leg and with the turn, not the usual problem the right-armer has to a lefty of going down leg more often than not. Was plum on first watch and got more and more plum every time for me.

The best umpires were the likes of the old English bloke David Shepherd. I used to love watching him umpire Warnie. He was old but never missed seeing when the ball had straightened off a spinner: he'd give batsmen out without hesitation. He'd be turning in his grave after that horrible decision by Wilson.

I raised my finger, ball pitched in line, could see it straighten back in, Stokes was taking leg guard, only issue was height which was a non factor as attempted slog sweep. Expected Stokes to walk but then remembered it was Stokes and he'd probably just belt a bloke for shits and giggles, so it was unlikely to happen.

That being said, for all intents and purposes, someone bent over a pooch and screwed it good and proper.

But outside of Marnus, the batters lost the match as still a day to play and England would have romped it in with half a brancell between them.

All the bolded says is that you are added to the list of people that 100% shouldn't be umpiring cricket at international level - a list with Joel Wilson at the very top of it.
To a lefty so no issue with pitching outside leg and with the turn, not the usual problem the right-armer has to a lefty of going down leg more often than not. Was plum on first watch and got more and more plum every time for me.

The best umpires were the likes of the old English bloke David Shepherd. I used to love watching him umpire Warnie. He was old but never missed seeing when the ball had straightened off a spinner: he'd give batsmen out without hesitation. He'd be turning in his grave after that horrible decision by Wilson.
Guess we will disagree on this one then.

"Not sure how you could miss the ball straightening. It was full too"

See there lies the problem - the ball did straighten but was very full so the decision involved guesswork. Certainly not plumb!!!

And just like the AFL, umps shouldn't guess. Enough doubt to understand the decision - which was my point.

See there lies the problem - the ball did straighten but was very full so the decision involved guesswork. Certainly not plumb!!!

And just like the AFL, umps shouldn't guess. Enough doubt to understand the decision - which was my point.

Very magnanimous of you, mate, but it was out. We get a huge piece of luck at a vital moment.

Fair enough mate, must admit, it took me a while to get over that decision so was probably over-the-top in my post. Was a crazy game regardless, why Test cricket is easily the best form of cricket in my opinion. :thumbsu:

Fair enough mate, must admit, it took me a while to get over that decision so was probably over-the-top in my post. Was a crazy game regardless, why Test cricket is easily the best form of cricket in my opinion. :thumbsu:

Agree, give me the twists, turns and dramas of test cricket any day!

Here's a piece that explains perfectly why I don't get to fired up about umpiring decisons V DRS.

I had a full on argument with some mates about this exact thing at golf on Tuesday because I'd noticed that DRS was showing the ball continuing move towards off after it bounced. That's swing not spin - aerodynamically it might happen - but impossible to predict in the space of the 1 or 2 frames of TV footage they rely on to "track" the path of the ball.

DRS is not perfect and was not designed for cricket because it cannot take into account what the ball does once it hits the ground. Its great for tennis where the only thing it does is determine where the ball bounces but in cricket to some extent its guessing what may occur so I'm always happy to give the umps a break unless of course it is plumb.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ben-stokes-was-out-or-was-he-20190827-p52lbo.html

Not enough Pirate discussion in this thread

Q: What lies at the bottom of the ocean and twitches?
A: A nervous wreck.

Q: How much do the pirates pay for ear piercings?
A: A buccaneer.

Q:Where do pirates buy their hooks
A: From the second hand store

Q:What has 12 arms, 12 legs and 12 eyes?
A: A dozen pirates

Q: What has 2 arms, 2 legs and 2 eyes?
A: A trainee pirate

A pirate goes to the doctor and say, "I have moles on me back aaarrrghh."
The doctor: "It's ok, they're benign."
Pirate: "Count again, I think there be ten!"

I read today that the guy who invented crosswords died.

Apparently in his Will he asked to be buried 6 down and 4 across

Not enough Pirate discussion in this thread

Q: What lies at the bottom of the ocean and twitches?
A: A nervous wreck.

Q: How much do the pirates pay for ear piercings?
A: A buccaneer.

Q:Where do pirates buy their hooks
A: From the second hand store

Q:What has 12 arms, 12 legs and 12 eyes?
A: A dozen pirates

Q: What has 2 arms, 2 legs and 2 eyes?
A: A trainee pirate

A pirate goes to the doctor and say, "I have moles on me back aaarrrghh."
The doctor: "It's ok, they're benign."
Pirate: "Count again, I think there be ten!"

I read today that the guy who invented crosswords died.

Apparently in his Will he asked to be buried 6 down and 4 across
I'm guessing you're a primary school teacher, a father of young boys or you finally decided to pull apart those Christmas crackers that have been taking up space for years... Or all of the above.

I'm guessing you're a primary school teacher, a father of young boys or you finally decided to pull apart those Christmas crackers that have been taking up space for years... Or all of the above.
Correct on the boys but they are now in their twenties and no longer appreciate pirate humour.
Life can be too serious at times. Sometimes it's just nice to escape for a bit into a world of stupid jokes!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was semi looking forward to watchin the legends game but seeing the soccer field kills it for me

probably still watch though, just need more bourbon
We are witnessing the death of AFLX. Public execution style.

It's actually horrid.

Finally got the ingrown toe nail removed. Sore but soooo much better feeling.

Ps that’s not my thumb with long nail..

View attachment 735979

I've still got mine in a jar on my bar. My mate reckons it's why I don't get laid.

It's a strange feeling, it hurt from having it cut out, but it felt incredible to be free of it. I got fingerblasted on Orange Juice and Vodka for 3 days following, to numb any residual pain.

Did the cut your toenail up the middle, or just remove the parts along the side?

I've still got mine in a jar on my bar. My mate reckons it's why I don't get laid.

It's a strange feeling, it hurt from having it cut out, but it felt incredible to be free of it. I got fingerblasted on Orange Juice and Vodka for 3 days following, to numb any residual pain.

Did the cut your toenail up the middle, or just remove the parts along the side?
Yeah same feeling.. hurts, but weirdly a good hurt..

Cut the sides out. I’ve got a weird 1/2 inch straight nail now.. it’s not the fashion I was going for, but at least it doesn’t stab me with pain every time I walk..

Yeah same feeling.. hurts, but weirdly a good hurt..

Cut the sides out. I’ve got a weird 1/2 inch straight nail now.. it’s not the fashion I was going for, but at least it doesn’t stab me with pain every time I walk..

How the * do you get them, I'm living in fear of them now.

How the fu** do you get them, I'm living in fear of them now.
I think there’s a few ways - but the main cause is when the fat between your toe and the nail basically wears out. When you walk, you put pressure on the fat inbetween the toe and the nail and it pushes the nail up into more of a flat shape. When that wears out the nail curls and grows down..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back