Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was kid it was Vietnamese gangs. Before that the Oakleigh wogs and Lebanese tigers.

Some the actions I witnessed were pretty bad.

And before all these migrants the crime rate was zero, right?

Good and bad in every race colour and religion.

Sadly we hear nothing about the Triads, Russian Mafia and bikie gangs.

Whilst there are the usual issues, the Sudanese the the latest scapegoats IMO.

The problem is if a white man robs a bank, it's a bank robbery. If an African does it, his race is pointed out.

White man runs people over in Bourne St he's mentally ill.

Muslim runs people over, he's a terrorist.
Before the wogs, it was the pommies or abos. If not, catholics or protestants.
I actually got chased by a huge gang of Lebanese youth once. Grew from about 3 of them to 50 in minutes. All pre mobile phone, so it was damn impressive how they got numbers there so quickly. I didn't hang around to ask how they did it.
Despite all the bullshit Australia does pretty well with this stuff.

The media love this rubbish it had it all, the right wing the left wing and more police than have been seen in st Kilda for years.

If the police continue to turn up in numbers and the courts do their job then this should be a fairly easy fix. As a local I couldn’t give a rats about the politics but the beach and surrounding area should be safe for locals and visitors to enjoy. It hasn’t been for some time and not just because of some fairly recent out of control Africans, this area needs a permanent police presence. It’s a tourist hot spot and full of backpackers who seem to love a drink and party, mix that in with the families that visit plus the locals and you have a difficult mix.

The state government and council need to get on with developing the triangle site and a smart move would be to incorporate a new police station into the plans.
I remember the St.Kilda police annex, which was set up in the 80's, purely to clean up street crime, prostitution and drug dealing. It was independent of the station in Chapel Street and was staffed mainly by eager young beavers like yours truly. Former Chief Commissioner Neil Comrie, then an up and coming inspector, was in charge. He ran a tight ship. It was a little like Rudi Guiliani's "zero tolerance" to crime initiative in New York.

It worked very well and some even suggested it moved the centre of drugs and prostitution out into the western suburbs. St.Kikda became a much safer and pleasant place as a result. Of course there was still no shortage of scallywags around the Fitzroy, Acland and Grey Street precinct, but it was a forerunner to the gentrification of that looney suburb.

One of the reasons they chose greenhorn coppers is that we hadn't been tainted. I knew several coppers who were up to their eyeballs in controlling the drug and prostitution industries. For many years in the 70's and 80's you couldn't do "business" in St.Kilda without the impramatur of certain uniform and plain clothes crooks.

Yes it’s pretty hard to belong when you’re excluded, all the data of the different groups is there and readily available.

Dozens of questions though, have we brought in illiterate people with poor English skills.

I don’t think for a minute any of these things are solved by clicking your fingers, I just really dislike the way we can’t have a sensible debate about anything without it getting hijacked by one fringe group or another.

Everybody who has lived here and seen the post war immigration growth has seen and known countless migrants who have come here worked hard and generally done very well. That’s not to say we haven’t had bumps along the way but I think we’re demonstrably pretty successful as a multicultural society.

I still think that until the waves of Vietnamese we really largely just assimilated ourselves in the sense that most were white and Christian. Maybe it’s a tougher ask with some groups, do we have any stats on how well different groups have settled in other countries that would be interesting.

I still keep coming back to the fact that immigration is meant to benifit us, if it doesn’t then it’s an epic fail.
i was born in this country and raised on english and i still struggle from time to time ... i can forgive those who have issues learning english

Before the wogs, it was the pommies or abos. If not, catholics or protestants.
I actually got chased by a huge gang of Lebanese youth once. Grew from about 3 of them to 50 in minutes. All pre mobile phone, so it was damn impressive how they got numbers there so quickly. I didn't hang around to ask how they did it.
Despite all the bullshit Australia does pretty well with this stuff.
its a strange thing its almost like a hazing ... anyone who comes to this country with a differant cultural background or looks differant go's through a period of isolation , fear, suspision then intergration .... its always the first generation who cops it but then by the time the second generation comes it smooths out ... time plays a factor but i think its more to do with the children , by nature kids are not driven by perceptions they see someone friendly they are a friend they see some on mean they are not the kids act as that glue to bring communities together a kid doesnt look at his friend and see him as an african they see him as a friend .. i think we often have a lot to learn from kids

ok so we talk about assimilation ... thats a great topic and i have my own beliefs around that , basically i see assimilation as a two way street as much as the person coming here needs to be mindful and respectful of the customs and traditions of here the inhabitants also need to be mindful and respectful of the customs and traditions of those coming here , its not a case of you come here you do all the changing to fit in , we learn this as kids when we meet new people that to become friends with people you have to get to know them as they get to know you its a give and take prospect , if a person is all push and no take then the chances are a friendship will not develop.. for many migrants the hardest part of coming to Australia is the part of fitting in especially when people already have a perception of you before they meet you..

As an immigrant myself let me say that the onus to adapt, respect the laws and lifestyle of our adoptive country and become contributing, tax-paying members of society, is absolutely on us.

In no way does this mean that we cannot keep our cultures and traditions as long as they are not harmful to my (not so new anymore) countrymen and there is mutual respect for the cultures and religions of others.
The vast majority of us are extremely grateful to be living here!

Yes, it’s up to Aussies to put out the welcome mat, but it is 100% up the immigrant to be the best citizen they can be, and in a country with social welfare and pretty much free ( school) education there should be no excuse.

Last edited:
that sounds a tad like saying "if she wasnt wearing such a short dress they wouldnt attack her"
as i said from here in Perth i can only go by what is reported on the news but from my (all be it limited) experiance in Melbourne i can honestly say i havent seen any of this "gang" action in Melbourne that is apparently happening all the time, so my question to you guys who are locals who are in Melbourne all the time is it really a big problem as it is reported ?
im of the age and i reckon StCicatriz would have a similar recollection that i still remember the time when it was the Vietnamese gangs so called terrorising Perth (gangs like the Dragonboys , Swordboys etc) and that launched a pretty hostile counter group who used the community fear of those gangs to build up their own "gang" of justice fighters ... at the time to me it just looked like a good excuse to have fights ... i wondering if this is a similar situation heading for melbourne

i never had any issue with gangs or bikies but remember what you are saying. it was 00s to mid 00s. basically the bikies had settled their turf wars and were using the asian gangs to do the street work for pushing their drugs etc. but i never saw them or had a problem with them. you'd see them punch on though with other troublemakers in northbridge

i remember in the late 90s the bikie war. bloke i went to school with in my year, had his old man beaten to near death, after he led the attack on another bikie leader and cut off his ear at some country pub. happened in the drive way of his house. others were killed during that stint in the eastern suburbs. bloke was shot to death at a local pool.

the real issue i did have was with indigenous youth. i got beaten up as a kid for being white when i was around 8-10, by a group in their teens, same with my brother. friends had the same issue. cops did nothing. same when our house got broken into. you would report the crime. they'd never come. you'd walk in there and they'd do nothing. they ended up changing the police commissioner and things started to improve. they eventually sorted out the local indigenous problem. before they did though our family had the pleasure of witnessing a woman beaten with a wooden picket, kids as young as 5 sniffing glue and paint, domestic abuse etc.

the one time anyone did anything about it, funnily enough, was a patched member few houses up, who had enough. went down there with a bat and proceeded to lay into some of the s**t bags. it got a bit better but not by much.

real change was government driven.

As an immigrant myself let me say that the onus to adapt, respect the laws and lifestyle of our adoptive country and become contributing, tax-paying members of society, is absolutely on us.

In no way does this mean that we cannot keep our cultures and traditions as long as they are not harmful to my (not so new anymore) countrymen and there is mutual respect for the cultures and religions of others.
The vast majority of us are extremely grateful to be living here!

Yes, it’s up to Aussies to put out the welcome mat, but it is 100% up the immigrant to be the best citizen they can be, and in a country with social welfare and pretty much free ( school) education there should be no excuse.
the problem is often the welcome mat is never extended ....
i mean obviously abiding by the laws is a given but there are lots we can do to make the people feel more welcome ... im a first generation Australian so my parents came here and i was born here later, after settling in this country my Grand Father made it a mission of his to help people from the old country feel more welcome when they got here as it can be really tough when you first arrive he helped countless familys who came here to find their feet and from that they became members of the community .. i dont think we have that now days especially with the people who have come with trauma from their country of origin i think we are more judgmental now days towards new people and we dont really take the time to be welcoming ... i mean take my father his first months in this country his work mates took him to a Saints game at Moorabbin to introduce him to football , he wasnt especially close to them but they took the time to invite him along... i dont know if that happens much anymore

i never had any issue with gangs or bikies but remember what you are saying. it was 00s to mid 00s. basically the bikies had settled their turf wars and were using the asian gangs to do the street work for pushing their drugs etc.

i remember in the late 90s the bikie war. bloke i went to school with in my year, had his old man beaten to near death, after he led the attack on another bikie leader and cut off his ear at some country pub. happened in the drive way of his house. others were killed during that stint in the eastern suburbs. bloke was shot to death at a local pool.

the real issue i did have was with indigenous youth. i got beaten up as a kid for being white when i was around 8-10, by a group in their teens, same with my brother. friends had the same issue. cops did nothing. same when our house got broken into. you would report the crime. they'd never come. you'd walk in there and they'd do nothing. they ended up changing the police commissioner and things started to improve. they eventually sorted out the local indigenous problem. before they did though our family had the pleasure of witnessing a woman beaten with a wooden picket, kids as young as 5 sniffing glue and paint, domestic abuse etc.

the one time anyone did anything about it, funnily enough, was a patched member few houses up, who had enough. went down there with a bat and proceeded to lay into some of the s**t bags. it got a bit better but not by much.

real change was government driven.
i think the early 90 was a bit of a flashpoint in Perth as you say the indigenous youth were pretty out of control in the southern eastern suburbs as well and yeah it was pretty common to have the white kids get jumped by them... but to an extent i feel that was the start of things turning around i cant say for certain but i think Nickys stand in 93 and the changes in the attitudes from that helped a lot , being a kid i remember the name calling and the racisim these guys faced and it reached a tipping point over here with them starting to fight back and then from fighting back it turned to just fighting and then turned to being thugs and trouble makers after the whole racisim in sport thing took off and it suddenly started to be taught in school that it was not ok things in my area at least settled down so by the early 00's it wasnt a real issue

When I was kid it was Vietnamese gangs. Before that the Oakleigh wogs and Lebanese tigers.

Some the actions I witnessed were pretty bad.

And before all these migrants the crime rate was zero, right?

Good and bad in every race colour and religion.

Sadly we hear nothing about the Triads, Russian Mafia and bikie gangs.

Whilst there are the usual issues, the Sudanese the the latest scapegoats IMO.

The problem is if a white man robs a bank, it's a bank robbery. If an African does it, his race is pointed out.

White man runs people over in Bourne St he's mentally ill.

Muslim runs people over, he's a terrorist.

I lived in Footscray in the 80's , and managed to lose my license so was on foot a lot.
Thought Romper Stomper was total crap, and didn't have any issues at all with the Viets settling there.
Certainly there were no car jackings. There was none of the brazen behavior we've seen recently.

I don't care if they are black or white, i don't care if they are muslem, sikh, christian or buddist. We should not have an immigration system that accepts people and keeps them here after they demonstrate that they are not acceptable.
Skapegoat my arse.
Nothing wrong at all with the non criminal Africans.

I We should not have an immigration system that accepts people and keeps them here after they demonstrate that they are not acceptable.
Skapegoat my arse.
Nothing wrong at all with the non criminal Africans.

If only indigenous Australians had that option all those years ago.

Can expatriate Aussie crime as well????

thats it ... ive never understood this mentality so if the crim was born in australia they should be more accepted then if they were not born here ?? i mean if my car gets stolen where the car thief was born isnt an issue to me either way my car is gone ...

thats it ... ive never understood this mentality so if the crim was born in australia they should be more accepted then if they were not born here ?? i mean if my car gets stolen where the car thief was born isnt an issue to me either way my car is gone ...

We are taking criminal thugs from warzones and throwing them in amongst people who have never even been in a drunken brawl.

Kids are pretty well brought up in Australia in general at the moment. Certainly less exposure to violence, discrimination and so forth than when i went to school.
So lets fix our good work by bringing in some 7 foot thugs to monster them.
IF NO_ONE steals my car it certainly isn't an issue.

LEts bring in some terrorists StTrav Some Axe murderers.
Maybe the USA would like to empty their prisons here, we can bring them to live next to our primary schools.
Do you really not get it?

No it doesn't matter where they are from, but why bring in other countries problems and make them ours?

It'd be better if it wasn't stolen.. Duh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are taking criminal thugs from warzones and throwing them in amongst people who have never even been in a drunken brawl.

Kids are pretty well brought up in Australia in general at the moment. Certainly less exposure to violence, discrimination and so forth than when i went to school.

Maybe the USA would like to empty their prisons here, we can bring them to live next to our primary schools.

No it doesn't matter where they are from, but why bring in other countries problems and make them ours?
No need to bring them in. We're doing a fairly good job breeding them.

You know its stupid to dredge up the old stuff. How could the world not have been settled. Send them all back....... surely no-one would have settled Australia and treated the indigenous Australians even worse. Irrelevant to the current discussion but whatever floats your boat.

1838. Myall Creek massacre – 10 June: 28 people killed at Myall Creek near Inverell, New South Wales. This was the first Aboriginal massacre for which white European and black African settlers were successfully prosecuted. Several colonists had previously been found not guilty by juries despite the weight of evidence and one colonist found guilty had been pardoned when his case was referred to Britain for sentencing. Eleven men were charged with murder but were initially acquitted by a jury. On the orders of the Governor, a new trial was held using the same evidence and seven of the eleven men were found guilty of the murder of one Aboriginal child and hanged. In his book, Blood on the Wattle, journalist Bruce Elder says that the successful prosecutions resulted in pacts of silence becoming a common practice to avoid sufficient evidence becoming available for future prosecutions.[38] Another effect, as one contemporary Sydney newspaper reported, was that poisoning Aboriginal people became more common as "a safer practice". Many massacres were to go unpunished due to these practices,[38] as what is variously called a 'conspiracy', 'pact' or 'code' of silence fell over the killings of Aboriginal people.

You see this is where your bias gets you into trouble.

Being of Italian descent and havingvtravelled the world, I have found Muslim.kids to be amongst the most respectable around. Muslim countries among the safest. So go figure.

I reckon the phrase "I'm not racist but..." figures a lot in your conversations.

s**t people are s**t people mate. Get it through your skull.

Most of the s**t that happens in my hood is from Aussie kids brought up decently according to you.

Twist it whichever way you want.

Apparently we are importing them now according to the poster.

I'd like to know how you can 100% screen or predict a kid will end up a crim.

i think the early 90 was a bit of a flashpoint in Perth as you say the indigenous youth were pretty out of control in the southern eastern suburbs as well and yeah it was pretty common to have the white kids get jumped by them... but to an extent i feel that was the start of things turning around i cant say for certain but i think Nickys stand in 93 and the changes in the attitudes from that helped a lot , being a kid i remember the name calling and the racisim these guys faced and it reached a tipping point over here with them starting to fight back and then from fighting back it turned to just fighting and then turned to being thugs and trouble makers after the whole racisim in sport thing took off and it suddenly started to be taught in school that it was not ok things in my area at least settled down so by the early 00's it wasnt a real issue

helps when you remove the local elders. the elders were put in charge of a local community camp that was funded by the government. all the money given to them, never saw the people. the local elders took it all. they left their people to live in 3rd world conditions, ordered them into crime. they were sexually assaulting the women and girls. using the others as prostitutes in exchange for food and small amounts of cash. women and children were beaten.

i don't blame the poor people born into that camp. i dont blame the women and children. they had no idea or knew any better or couldn't defend themselves. life of violence and poverty. drugs and alcohol would have been a convenient out.

i do blame the elders who exploited the government and the cop's reluctance to address the issue due to past issues such as the stolen generation, and just how they were treated in general. they wanted to respect their ability to self govern almost/have a sort of independence in the camp. it had nothing to do with social change and less racist views towards the indigenous people and things like nicky winmar. it was everything to do with their own people ******* over the vulnerable in a really bad way. it had everything to do with them exploiting what had come before them to get away with it for so long. they exploited how bad the government and society treated them in the past and thank christ the change in attitude in that regard, but it meant the cops never acted and the government let them go unchecked. it had nothing to do with fighting back. they just wanted to enslave their people to them. so they go on siphoning off all that money and raping whom ever they wanted in that camp.

seriously the camp looked like something from a very remote area up north, except smack back in the metro area.

it took a couple of young girls tragically committing suicide, a new born raped (yes you read that right) and a change in police hierarchy before the government acted. first they withdrew the school because no one would work there. then they shut it down. then they threw the assailants in jail. the head guy ended up thankfully dying in jail.

you had the standard protests, about how the whiteman was kicking the black fella off their land. btw that land still hasnt been sold or used despite how good the location is, which shows you that wasn't the governments intention at all. one of the leaders of the protest who was defending the child rapist leader at the front of parliment, was the same lady who pops up protesting on literally every indigenous issue. the one who protested the island on the swan river in the city. the same one in the doco talking about rottness that adam goodes raves about. makes me sick everytime i hear her speak. what she was defending. and you wonder why the current metro elders who negotiated the last "settlement" refused to acknowledge her. she is utter scum.

but that didn't stop old mate ex-greens senator standing side by side with her in protest. sickening. i remember posting on his facebook pretty much telling him the sort of scum he is standing next to, he didnt want a bar of it. let that sink in.

Last edited:
You know its stupid to dredge up the old stuff. How could the world not have been settled. Send them all back....... surely no-one would have settled Australia and treated the indigenous Australians even worse. Irrelevant to the current discussion but whatever floats your boat.

1838. Myall Creek massacre – 10 June: 28 people killed at Myall Creek near Inverell, New South Wales. This was the first Aboriginal massacre for which white European and black African settlers were successfully prosecuted. Several colonists had previously been found not guilty by juries despite the weight of evidence and one colonist found guilty had been pardoned when his case was referred to Britain for sentencing. Eleven men were charged with murder but were initially acquitted by a jury. On the orders of the Governor, a new trial was held using the same evidence and seven of the eleven men were found guilty of the murder of one Aboriginal child and hanged. In his book, Blood on the Wattle, journalist Bruce Elder says that the successful prosecutions resulted in pacts of silence becoming a common practice to avoid sufficient evidence becoming available for future prosecutions.[38] Another effect, as one contemporary Sydney newspaper reported, was that poisoning Aboriginal people became more common as "a safer practice". Many massacres were to go unpunished due to these practices,[38] as what is variously called a 'conspiracy', 'pact' or 'code' of silence fell over the killings of Aboriginal people.
I know you love a good stat, SaintsSeptember but this has got to be your worst, most selective, self-serving use of numbers I have seen. Dig a little deeper. I know you can do it. What was the indigenous vs non-indigenous fatality count in the settlement wars? How many aboriginals died as a result of European settlement in Australia? What are the lasting impacts of settlement on the aboriginal people?

Your argument is lets throw these here new fellas off the Island because violence and criminality. But let's forget about all the genocide we tried on early in our history because, you know, bygone are bygones, right? How about we treat refugees the same way we want aboriginals to treat us, by accepting the ugly circumstances, and pull up your socks and lets make the best of it. By jove.

I know you love a good stat, SaintsSeptember but this has got to be your worst, most selective, self-serving use of numbers I have seen. Dig a little deeper. I know you can do it. What was the indigenous vs non-indigenous fatality count in the settlement wars? How many aboriginals died as a result of European settlement in Australia? What are the lasting impacts of settlement on the aboriginal people?

Your argument is lets throw these here new fellas off the Island because violence and criminality. But let's forget about all the genocide we tried on early in our history because, you know, bygone are bygones, right? How about we treat refugees the same way we want aboriginals to treat us, by accepting the ugly circumstances, and pull up your socks and lets make the best of it. By jove.

when st kilda last won its premiership indigenous people in WA had a passport they had to use to gain legal entry into any town. let that sink in. they had to use a ******* passport to freely move within the state. i could be wrong here but that might not have been abolished until the early 80s/late 70s.

they've been treated extremely poorly.

Last edited:
when st kilda last won its premiership indigenous people in WA had a passport they had to use to gain legal entry into any town. let that sink in. they had to use a ******* passport to freely move within the state. i could be wrong here but that might have been abolished until the early 80s/late 70s.

they've been treated extremely poorly.
Fiji was actually represented in the process leading into establishing a federalist Australian system, but we opted out of joining (along with NZ). Sometimes I am honestly not sure whether we lost the lotto ticket, or dodged a bullet there.

Thank the gods the British had learnt many lessons surrounding successful colonization prior to setting their eyes on little old Vanua Viti. Even then my father grew up needing a license to enter a bar.

You see this is where your bias gets you into trouble.

Being of Italian descent and havingvtravelled the world, I have found Muslim.kids to be amongst the most respectable around. Muslim countries among the safest. So go figure.

I reckon the phrase "I'm not racist but..." figures a lot in your conversations.

s**t people are s**t people mate. Get it through your skull.

Most of the s**t that happens in my hood is from Aussie kids brought up decently according to you.

Twist it whichever way you want.

Are the African thugs Muslims , i didn't look into it that deeply and i sure didn't mention it.
My kids and their friends would probably crawl into a ball and become victims if they came across anyone like the people we are discussing.
Yes there are s**t people here. My point is why bring even SHITTER people in. Surely there are more deserving people in Africa, Fiji, Afganistan....anywhere.

If we throw them out and bring in others to replace them i'm fine with that.

Otherwise we bring them in and throw them in jail ( with the s**t Aussies ) . Which outcome is good? Bring them in and sending them back? Bringing them in and jailing them for public safety.
Why would we choose either option?

Last edited:

Why are we trying to equate actions by the early settlers with people from a totally different country treating their privelege with contempt.

There is no relationship between the Africans and the Indigenous Australians.
I'm not going to let the color of their skin convince me that there is.

Fine lets let Kim Jong have Australia.. His people are certainly under privileged and deserve something better. It might be a bad choice but hell we'll pull our socks up pretend it wasn't stupid.

( Extreme example to make my point. My point being we stuffed up the immigration ).

About 6-7 million years ago the East African Rift Valley continued to split, causing the east part of the separation to dry out & deterioration of rain forests. Chimpanzees in the east were a dominant tree species like all chimpanzees, however due to the dryer climate, & their habit dying off, were forced on to the ground. Evolution then dictate they cope with their new forced habitat & evolve to the bipedal Australopithecines. Over the next few million years after that, Australopithecines evolved to what we “all” are now; Homo sapiens.

History reflects that “we”, being all Homo sapiens, have been cruel to one another but (mostly) “evolved” to not be so cruel. There are victims across all continents & not one “tribe” is not guilty of many atrocities that were acceptable in another era. Like I said, “we” have evolved. This does not make past atrocities acceptable. It is all part of human evolution.

Indigenous Australians, European’s, Arabs, Asians, etc, we are all ancestors from that rather small (in the scheme of things) “tribe” of chimpanzees that were forced out of the trees on to the savanna, evolved to become bipedal due to new surroundings & become what we “all” are now.

All these religious/cultural wars that continue on is so tribal, small minded & so embarrassingly outdated. We’ll be intergalactic species before not to long. Not in our life time but not soon after for some of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back