Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
a) Hiluxes are nothing special , apart from some reliability. On a sealed road to Lake Mountain, they simply make your trip less comfortable.
b) 4 wheel drives don't brake in snow or ice, any better than 2 wheel drives. A Hyundai Getz will handle the road to Lake Mountain as well as a Hilux.
c) Full time four wheel drives, with decent handling , such as Territory or Suburu , will probably be better on a road with snow on it than a monster truck that's allergic to corners though tyres could be the difference/

Driving in snow is deceptive, in an ordinary road car it can feel fine, a bit prone to sliding through the corners, kind of like a gravel road. Then you brake and the brakes simply don't work, you just keep moving, unless you have special snow tires or chains on ANY vehicle.
a1) agreed. the Hilux is more reliable, which is what ya want.
a2)disagreed. Good tyres, suspension and Recaro seats produce absolute premo comfort levels so you hardly even feel the bumps or Getzs, if you get'm right.
b)incorrect. Engine breaking is paramount for traction in snowy conditions so 4x4 will always crap on 2wd in that regard, it makes a huge difference, even in an auto.
c)incorrect. Cornering ability is only relevant when the G forces are passed through the tyres into the suspension, and the traction levels in snow are insufficient to create this effect in any meaningful way. It's all about good tyres, and you can put some really sick ones on a Hilux.

Last trip to the snow l drove behind the road patrol, passing all the poor buggers in their Territorys, X5s and ScoobyDoos putting on their chains on (then off) by the side of the road. The road patrol was a Hilux, as was l. And the kent following behind us was a Melbourne supporter....

Last edited:
England playing a one-dayer in the West Indies. Windies made a whopping 360 runs! And England seems to be on the way to getting them! When did we get to the point where we'd have over 700 runs in a day?! Amazing!

Question one
If I drive to lake mountain through maryvillle at end of June can u get up to the lake mountain resort without chains?
Question two
Will there be snow?
I'm hanging to ping the wife in the scone with a snowball...she knows it's coming too

Lake Mountain is better than Mount Donna Buang but both are really unlikely to get any regular snow at, Mount Baw Baw is only 2 hours or so away and is much more likely to have a little bit of cover if you just want to see some snow. Much safer to get to the resorts if you actually want to do any snow sports though. Most are too far from Melbourne to make it feasible for a day trip unfortunately.

Just want a couple hr drive, ping a snowball at the Mrs and see the waterfall.
We won't be skiing
May toboggan
Just a day thing from where we are staying near the cbd

Baw Baw is probs best. Most won't let you drive past a point without the chains usually the snow line. They have hire places but more than super cheap for new ones. I scratched a new car with hire ones that were the wrong size so definitely worth grabbing some first. Hire a toboggan though but get them down the bottom of the mountain.

a1) agreed. the Hilux is more reliable, which is what ya want.
a2)disagreed. Good tyres, suspension and Recaro seats produce absolute premo comfort levels so you hardly even feel the bumps or Getzs, if you get'm right.
b)incorrect. Engine breaking is paramount for traction in snowy conditions so 4x4 will always crap on 2wd in that regard, it makes a huge difference, even in an auto.
c)incorrect. Cornering ability is only relevant when the G forces are passed through the tyres into the suspension, and the traction levels in snow are insufficient to create this effect in any meaningful way. It's all about good tyres, and you can put some really sick ones on a Hilux.

Last trip to the snow l drove behind the road patrol, passing all the poor buggers in their Territorys, X5s and ScoobyDoos putting on their chains on (then off) by the side of the road. The road patrol was a Hilux, as was l. And the kent following behind us was a Melbourne supporter....

a) its a paved road out the back of Melbourne. Most newish cars are reliable enough. We aren't talking simpson desert here.
b) rubbish.. simple physics doesn't care if you try to stop the wheel with brakes or engine, the tyre won't grip snow. Same issue they have with first snow in countries like Germany, people crash.
c) i think your comment is more relevant to ice. Big knobbly tyres may help a bit, ( though chains are knobblier than any chain. Hiluxes are crap round corners , they are ute pretending to be a truck. Bad ride, bad handling. Rally winner = Suburu.... ( even in snow ) .

Hiluxes are like a new bogan religion lately.

Baw Baw is probs best. Most won't let you drive past a point without the chains usually the snow line. They have hire places but more than super cheap for new ones. I scratched a new car with hire ones that were the wrong size so definitely worth grabbing some first. Hire a toboggan though but get them down the bottom of the mountain.

My best effort was when me and a mate took my old 1960's Cortina up to mount Bulla. It started snowing in Mansfield. Drove it to Merrijig , slighly taily but steering ok round the bends, and saw a heap of cars pulled over to fit chains and thought to do the same. It just drove past them all , like the brakes weren't doing a thing, had to let it just coast to a stop. I know what scrappy said, but it was more like ski-ing, the sidewalls of the tyres were steering it ok but forward /stop was just sliding. Fitted the chains, which were borrowed, and didn't fit right and clunked in the mudgards. Then there was this incredibly slow procession of cars up the mountain, during which time i found that there must have been a small leak in the fuel pump. Continually idling while facing uphil, it ran out of petrol though the tank was full. Put some petrol in a coke can and into the carby , got it going, and had to make sure i fed enough revs to it the rest of the trip.
Coming home after sitting in the snow all day, the seal beam headlights demonstrated that they may not have been sealed well, i lost one high beam and two low

Yes Scrappy your Hilux would have been good that day.

Last week I visited an elderly friend of my mothers in Holmsglen Hospital. I was over from Tassie and I was lucky to see this delightful lady before she died. I walked from Moorabin Station. I was able to veer into RSEA Park. Hadn't been there for 20 years and before that was at a game when John Greening got decked by Jim O'Dea, coincidently with my future brother in law. To celebrate the visit I bought a stubby cooler that plays our theme song. I will always remember Lorna when I use it.

Last edited:
a) its a paved road out the back of Melbourne. Most newish cars are reliable enough. We aren't talking simpson desert here.
b) rubbish.. simple physics doesn't care if you try to stop the wheel with brakes or engine, the tyre won't grip snow. Same issue they have with first snow in countries like Germany, people crash.
c) i think your comment is more relevant to ice. Big knobbly tyres may help a bit, ( though chains are knobblier than any chain. Hiluxes are crap round corners , they are ute pretending to be a truck. Bad ride, bad handling. Rally winner = Suburu.... ( even in snow ) .

Sounds reasonable. I guess l got it all wrong.

Toyotas rock. They are seriously reliable, years ago I had to get a van for my business to fill in after a Ford we had died. I bought the cheapest roadworthy Hiace I could find...it had done 500,000 kms, I thought it would do for 6 months until I got something better, it wouldn't die, apart from servicing it went through a set of brake pads and a water pump, I sold it a few years later at 750,000kms still going well to some hippy who paid more than I paid for it on ebay. It was like the terminator, you seriously couldn't kill it. We now have a more modern Hiace as a delivery vehicle and it gets tortured, it's at 370,000 kms and hasn't had anything seriously wrong with it.

If I needed a 4WD or a ute I would get a Hilux.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of offal jokes

Times Roman, Helvetica and Sans Serif walk into a bar. " Get out" shouts the barman. "We don't serve your type here."

A couple of jumper leads walk into a bar. The barman warned them not to start anything.

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.

A dyslexic guy walks into a bra

Just on Lake Mountain, its really easy to get there, there are places that hire skii's , toboggans etc on the way.
Best bet is to just go by the weather forecast. Wait until snow is reported before going ( don't try to book it ). The road is normally clear unless its snowing heavily at the time.

Speaking of offal jokes

Times Roman, Helvetica and Sans Serif walk into a bar. " Get out" shouts the barman. "We don't serve your type here."

A couple of jumper leads walk into a bar. The barman warned them not to start anything.

did you hear about the dyslexic pimp ???? ... he opened up a warehouse

Speaking of offal jokes

The barman says, "Get out, we don't serve your type in here."
Two time travellers walk into a bar.

A dyslexic walks into a bra...
A bear walks into a bar and takes a huge bite out of the counter and then demands a beer.
The barman says, "sorry we don't serve drug users"
The bear says; I'm not a drug user"
The barman replies; "what about the bar bit you ate"

A bear walks into a bar and takes a huge bite out of the counter and then demands a beer.
The barman says, "sorry we don't serve drug users"
The bear says; I'm not a drug user"
The barman replies; "what about the bar bit you ate"

Now that's quality. Well played, sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back