Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the prices make me depressed, drinking on your own at home is far better :D .
Can afford to down a decent amount .
Ive decided to try an Espresso Martini. For 17 dollars it appears all I get is iced coffee that gets me drunk.

Ive decided to try an Espresso Martini. For 17 dollars it appears all I get is iced coffee that gets me drunk.
Bloody hell!
I remember it used to be dollar jack and cokes at Bills at southland back in the day, in those crappy plastic glasses.
Good times

The train system is just so old , its still based on 1900 models.
Stopping at nearly all stations means it takes longer than a car.
Inadequate car parking , because they still think everyone can walk to their nearest station. ( the further out from the cbd , the further a lot of people live from a station ).
Even newer stations are built near main roads , so that the old level crossing ( out near narre ) has its boomgates down when the train is stopped at the station.

Hopefully the newer tracks mean they will be able to run more express services .
It shouldn't take an hour to travel less than 30km.

More than 20 years ago i lived in the northern suburbs of Perth. Further from Perth than Narre, the park n ride system was brilliant, quicker and cheaper than cars on weekdays. Oh and ticketing was better than Myki.
Narre is horrible when two trains arrive at once. The booms stay down longer because of the re signalling the axle counter that activates the bell block* "in the rear**" a few meters causing the booms to stay down longer. They have a stopping function holds the signal at danger that allows a train to get ontop of Narre Warren/Cranbourne Rd before lowering the booms but its haphazard in use.
* bell block is the section that triggers a crossing
** in the rear is railway speak for behind you. In advance is the opposite

I can drive to Gardiner or Tooronga and get a train there and beat a Pakenham easily by 5-10minutes.
The bus services from the station are useless. 1 bus an hour on my route

Had about 5 last weekend and paid the price on the bank account front and liver front the next day. Steer clear of those things.
Im only having the 1

I have been cutting back and only buying schooners or pots to save a bit of coin lately.

Even trying to use only a 50. Goes nowhere these days

Im only having the 1

I have been cutting back and only buying schooners or pots to save a bit of coin lately.

Even trying to use only a 50. Goes nowhere these days

Keeping it below 3 figures is a challenge if it's a full night out in the city, getting a pint under $10 is a minor miracle these days.

Keeping it below 3 figures is a challenge if it's a full night out in the city, getting a pint under $10 is a minor miracle these days.
Impossible in the city I reckon. Most places are 10 plus easily.
Im trying to use just a 50 for the footy. I end up with AFL record money by the days end.

Narre is horrible when two trains arrive at once. The booms stay down longer because of the re signalling the axle counter that activates the bell block* "in the rear**" a few meters causing the booms to stay down longer. They have a stopping function holds the signal at danger that allows a train to get ontop of Narre Warren/Cranbourne Rd before lowering the booms but its haphazard in use.
* bell block is the section that triggers a crossing
** in the rear is railway speak for behind you. In advance is the opposite

I can drive to Gardiner or Tooronga and get a train there and beat a Pakenham easily by 5-10minutes.
The bus services from the station are useless. 1 bus an hour on my route

Isn't technology wonderful

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ash Barty - what an absolute champion!

Classy as! Someone we can really get behind and be proud of.

And not forgetting Dylan Alcott. What a great day for Australia :)

:star::clapping::star: :fire:

Last edited:
And another thing, don't get me started on places that will only sell you some types of beers in schooners instead of pints.

(I'm actually only in my 20's, I'm just channeling my inner grumpy old man about beer prices)
You show great promise for a young ‘un!
It’s actually middle age that’s the bigger $ problem when drinking. I could pretty much drink any quantity of anything in my forties and early fifties. Since those glory days my brain and liver have formed an unholy alliance whereby I doze off after a couple.

It’s actually middle age that’s the bigger $ problem when drinking. I could pretty much drink any quantity of anything in my forties and early fifties. Since those glory days my brain and liver have formed an unholy alliance whereby I doze off after a couple.
Oh No! Don't tell me i have that to look forward to! Drinking is all i have man! :oops:

Must ignore your sensible forecast of doom and what docs have been telling me for years....Have to push through!
Plus not concerned about possible brain concerns...That scheming bastard deserted me many moons ago!
My Liver has taken a sturdy beating over the years, but it continues to serve it's master well...Whose a good liver? Yes you are!
Screw the professionals and common sense...It's still good....It's still good! :frowning:

Oh No! Don't tell me i have that to look forward to! Drinking is all i have man! :oops:

Must ignore your sensible forecast of doom and what docs have been telling me for years....Have to push through!
Plus not concerned about possible brain concerns...That scheming bastard deserted me many moons ago!
My Liver has taken a sturdy beating over the years, but it continues to serve it's master well...Whose a good liver? Yes you are!
Screw the professionals and common sense...It's still good....It's still good! :frowning:
Self delusion and deception is an excellent short term strategy, I got a good few years out of that one!
While you’re refining that, hedge your bets by working on your dreams. I’ve convinced myself that I am indeed awake and continuing to enjoy a few drinks right up until I wake up in an awkward position somewhere/anywhere. I’ve watched some cracking saints games this way, much better that the turgid crap reality serves up..

Self delusion and deception is an excellent short term strategy, I got a good few years out of that one!
While you’re refining that, hedge your bets by working on your dreams. I’ve convinced myself that I am indeed awake and continuing to enjoy a few drinks right up until I wake up in an awkward position somewhere/anywhere. I’ve watched some cracking saints games this way, much better that the turgid crap reality serves up..
Ain't that the truth man! lol
One stage against Port in China, i was convinced we had 36 players on the ground to their 18 yet we were still getting pumped! :huh:
As for awkward positions somewhere/anywhere, this my friend i have dedicated my life to! Tis a skill i feel i am at olympic level in!
Can't say the same for my dreams sadly! I have been working on them feverishly as you would expect brother, but i keep on having nightmares about a steamy yet
Most disturbing romantic tale about myself, Caro and Jeannie Pratt, for my performance to suddenly transform into the Saints ball movement forward of centre! :weary:
Just cannot seem to put it through the big sticks!

As i may have alluded to Mr Brain abandoned me some time back! Turncoat he was, I don't mind though, never liked the annoying smart arse prick anyway! :moustache:

The economy relies on growth.
There is no way we can have the kind of growth that happened through the last couple of centuries , fueled by huge population growth and the industrial revolution.

We see small countries rich on the back of minerals.
Larger countries , like Australia are too, to an extent.
There will be less minerals and more population to spread the wealth through.

At some point capitalism driven by growth will slow down. Low interest rates are not a local ( australian) phenomenon.

The irony is we have learnt to commodify everything so there is more money around now. Money is not finite and is really just IOU notes so more can be made as populations grow. The real issue is the condensing of wealth these days, there is more money held by less people than at any point since the days of feudalism.

We need some form of basic income at some point though, we have made production less hands on and at some point there won't be enough to do for a bulk of people. That's when capitalism falls over, you need consumers to make it work, consumers need money to buy stuff, you need to work to get money.

Capitalism worked that out and created globalisation, then you have some growth economies to buy your s**t even when you've stuffed your own country up.

The train system is just so old , its still based on 1900 models.
Stopping at nearly all stations means it takes longer than a car.
Inadequate car parking , because they still think everyone can walk to their nearest station. ( the further out from the cbd , the further a lot of people live from a station ).
Even newer stations are built near main roads , so that the old level crossing ( out near narre ) has its boomgates down when the train is stopped at the station.

Hopefully the newer tracks mean they will be able to run more express services .
It shouldn't take an hour to travel less than 30km.

More than 20 years ago i lived in the northern suburbs of Perth. Further from Perth than Narre, the park n ride system was brilliant, quicker and cheaper than cars on weekdays. Oh and ticketing was better than Myki.

The vic libs sold all the train corridors, unbuilt strips that would have future proofed the train lines. Also sold all the car park areas put aside. It was one of the most corrupt acts ever.

Its the prices make me depressed, drinking on your own at home is far better :D .
Can afford to down a decent amount .

I went to a jazz bar last night where they tab you and before you leave they bring a bill to your table. FFS I needed to ring the bank manager to get another mortgage nearly. I must be getting old, 3 glasses of red, two pints and a glass of scotch were $120. The scotch was alright by the rest were meh.

Wow back in my mate 20s and early 30s we'd step out of the hat onto daylight, put up Auction flags and boards on the way home, quick shower and back in the office by 9am.

Even into my 40s it was easy to polish off a bottle of good red in one night.

But due to unspoken health issues i gave it away.

These days half a glass at lunch and I'm ready to snooze.

The irony is we have learnt to commodify everything so there is more money around now. Money is not finite and is really just IOU notes so more can be made as populations grow. The real issue is the condensing of wealth these days, there is more money held by less people than at any point since the days of feudalism.

We need some form of basic income at some point though, we have made production less hands on and at some point there won't be enough to do for a bulk of people. That's when capitalism falls over, you need consumers to make it work, consumers need money to buy stuff, you need to work to get money.

Capitalism worked that out and created globalisation, then you have some growth economies to buy your **** even when you've stuffed your own country up.

Anyway, the way forward is to increase productivity in order to lift living standards.

Traditional jobs will go, but New industries will emerge as we transition from a fossil fuelled economy.

People will also need to learn to live with less IMO.

I have already shifted to minimalism. I have a good standard of life and no longer need to work 60 hours per week to afford the things I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back