Discussion Random Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss the crate delivery of 12 bottles of random drinks, change over every week empties out and replaced.

Certainly beats seeing plastic on shelves and lumping it, storing it then simply disposing of it.

I can remember as a kid the last of the milk bottles getting delivered and Gold medal soft drinks would drop of cases and refill them. Coke was still in glass or aluminium cans and kids would collect them to cash them in. That went up to the early to mid 90s.

Where we stayed in Cornwall there was a truck came around with bottled milk and green grocery was the same, they rang a bell as they came along and you'd buy what you wanted. On the Amalfi we had a general store that you would buy fruit and veg and at the end of the day the old lady left what fruit and veg wasn't sold out on the footpath for the poor. It wasn't frozen or chilled, everything there was in paper even cheese and meat. It can be done.

Had to look that one up!
Hoping someone would go with Dogmatix or Old Yeller, (minus the ending of course)

I don't know what the * is going on.

Not hard to tell who wasted their childhoods watching TV. 😀

I know about Monkey, Dr Who and The Goodies. The ABC played them for about 25 years. I pretty much blame them all for my unstable temperament.

I don't know what the **** is going on.

giphy.gif

I started it.
Sorry. 😁

I was lost with the horse racing, I know just enough to not get beaten up in a pub but once there is any real in-depth stuff I'm out of my depth, then a wave of pop culture references that I had no idea about, I thought I knew everything about trivial crap.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think it was Loys around near us, the truck was in Wilton grove.

I wasn’t allowed to have it anyway, we never had it in the house very occasionally I was allowed a can as a treat.

We used to get ours from a mob in Balaclava. Nightingale Street.

I still remember the milk wagon. There was a guy that brought eggs from the farm and we even had bread delivered in the back of a panel van.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I can remember as a kid the last of the milk bottles getting delivered and Gold medal soft drinks would drop of cases and refill them. Coke was still in glass or aluminium cans and kids would collect them to cash them in. That went up to the early to mid 90s.

Where we stayed in Cornwall there was a truck came around with bottled milk and green grocery was the same, they rang a bell as they came along and you'd buy what you wanted. On the Amalfi we had a general store that you would buy fruit and veg and at the end of the day the old lady left what fruit and veg wasn't sold out on the footpath for the poor. It wasn't frozen or chilled, everything there was in paper even cheese and meat. It can be done.
They did that a lot in Italy.

Lower the basket from the balcony. Fish, bread, fresh ricotta...

Some may know him already but Boyan Slat is a Dutch inventor who runs a company called The Ocean Cleanup.

They've done some research on the amount of plastic filling the oceans and concluded there's five "Garbage Patches" (circulating ocean currents) across the globe that a majority of the worlds plastic is found.

He is taking on the project of clearing our oceans of plastic and says by 2025 that ONE of the five garbage patches will have their plastic pollution halved. So it's a massive project but it's being done at minimal cost and has huge positive effects on the environment and global warming.

Effectively it will take 50 years to clean all the oceans of almost all plastic pollution - which seems like a while but clearly is a huge step forward.

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is that from Asterix comics? I think I get something.
The first 24 written by Rene Goscinny (script) and Albert Uderzo (artwork) are still well worth owning but after Goscinny died Uderzo took over the scripts as well and the quality dropped off. Issue 35 onwards are a new writer and artist and only for tragics. Ahhhh…….. like me :rolleyes:

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
The first 24 written by Rene Goscinny (script) and Albert Uderzo (artwork) are still well worth owning but after Goscinny died Uderzo took over the scripts as well and the quality dropped off. Issue 35 onwards are a new writer and artist and only for tragics. Ahhhh…….. like me :rolleyes:
I have a client who has a few old ones lying about. Might grab them.

Were you a Slades or Gold Medal guy? Or Loys..

I believe it was Loys, I was only young at the time but it seemed like the best alternative given our neighbour was a dairy farm, we butchered our own meat, had our own veggies, milled our own bread in some cases and simply went to town for basically "sugar and salt" type instances. Came from one side being farmers and the other side being Italian, that we always had "this is where it comes from, the work required, and you've got to give a damn about it" both in the how and the reasoning, which is largely why I will never understand vegans for example.

I think it was Loys around near us, the truck was in Wilton grove.

I wasn’t allowed to have it anyway, we never had it in the house very occasionally I was allowed a can as a treat.

Missed out, we were firmly under the "you can have it, but if you overdo it, you will cop the consequences" type upbringing, so many a time when belts were removed and faces were plush with tears. Twas the Italian side where you want for not food wise but generally always knew that it had it be sustainable from go to woah.

They did that a lot in Italy.

Lower the basket from the balcony. Fish, bread, fresh ricotta...

And in the northern parts where my fam came from, wines.

Had my first sip of a red at like 6, was a great time. Would recommend. :)

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
I loved Saintly for obvious reasons, throw in the great JB Cummings and i was all aboard!
Sadly much like the Saints hopes long term, he broke down just when on the verge of true greatness!
Mind you he won a Melb Cup, Cox Plate, Australian Cup and he was still only 4yo!
Was there at his last run when i swear still to this day his last 200m was the fastest i've ever seen a horse finish when he beat a gun field of
Sprinter/milers first up in the Orr Stakes!

Other favourites i had over the years were Gold and Black my first favourite horse to the underrated yet mighty Hyperno, Silver Bounty
Super Impose, yeah Vo Rogue was awesome in full flight...Lets Elope, Manikato, Family of Man, Campaign King and Bonecrusher all back when i was a young lad
And just loved the theatre of the sport itself without betting much at all if ever back then! That obviously changed in a big way as i got older and more reckless!
Had a massive hard on for the grey flash schillaci too! In recent years loved So you Think, Chataqwua and absolutely adored the old warhorse Zipping!

As you may have gathered i was right into my horse racing over the years, till i started punting too much and lost my passion for the sport itself
And the punt became the focus sadly! Still a bit of a battle to abstain from punting like a madman every now and then, but much better than it was!
Have owned/Part owned a few over the years too with mixed results it's fair to say! Had some very big wins but Certainly nothing at the level of Mikka's achievements!

busso_mick

All Australian
Jan 2, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
West Ham
I have a close mate who is mad about horses and has owned quite a few over the years. The best story he told me was about a horse Hurricane Lad who was a sprinter but used to go very wide coming around the bend into the home straight. They took him to the vets and the vet declared that it had the biggest set of balls he had ever seen and they were getting in the way of his running style. He was then gelded and went onto win 5 races in a row by not running wide and set the track record at Belmont in Perth.

I was keen on Gold and Black as well, I remember I was 17 and hitch-hiking around Tasmania when the 1977 Melbourne Cup was on. Being from WA and with Gold and Black being the WA football team state colours I had my first bet on a horse race and it was a winner. Not had too many winners in the Cup since then though.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
He was a legend
Certainly was! Probably the first superstar horse i remember! Every week on World of Sport it seemed i was watching him romp home!
Didn't mind a bit of Popular Alm action back in the day! When the trotts meant something completely different to what was happening to the
Saints butt cheeks in china!

You may have missed this story last week.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/...n/news-story/393206e76bf0c3320d858f09e743a5e2

Bulgogi is Korean BBQ'd beef.

My joke was tasteless - but bulgogi isn't!!!!
Its just a bullshit story written by some tool who has no idea , it is not Winx's half brother at all , brothers or sisters in horses only come from the mothers side and thats due to the fact that the female(mare ) can only have so many foals in her lifetime and so the market doesnt get flooded with half brothers , unlike the dad who may have fathered thousands of siblings.
So yes they both had the same dad but technically they are not related , if they were that mean my sister has the half brother of the 2018 Melbourne cup in one of her paddocks

I have a close mate who is mad about horses and has owned quite a few over the years. The best story he told me was about a horse Hurricane Lad who was a sprinter but used to go very wide coming around the bend into the home straight. They took him to the vets and the vet declared that it had the biggest set of balls he had ever seen and they were getting in the way of his running style. He was then gelded and went onto win 5 races in a row by not running wide and set the track record at Belmont in Perth.

I was keen on Gold and Black as well, I remember I was 17 and hitch-hiking around Tasmania when the 1977 Melbourne Cup was on. Being from WA and with Gold and Black being the WA football team state colours I had my first bet on a horse race and it was a winner. Not had too many winners in the Cup since then though.
Jeez they sure gave him a flogging , over 100 starts , poor bugger ))))

Certainly was! Probably the first superstar horse i remember! Every week on World of Sport it seemed i was watching him romp home!
Didn't mind a bit of Popular Alm action back in the day! When the trotts meant something completely different to what was happening to the
Saints butt cheeks in china!
Now your bringing out all the old guns , remember the melbourne show grounds , my mate had one who won a few there ,

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

But you ask an AFL player to make a small adjustment like that and they will point blank refuse. Weak. Soft too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back