Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Completely off topic, but I have a silly Saturday coming up in a few weeks, and need costume ideas. The theme is “headlines” so anything that has been a controversy or made the news really.
Any ideas?
Go as the kid from the cover of Mad Magazine!

In other words, our new coach Brett Ratten! 😉

MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, Hibernian FC
Are some of these Vegan's losing the plot totally?

I'm a whole week a vegetarian! Been toying with the idea for a long time, but always found a way to procrastinate. Well, I've finally taken the plunge and am seven days meat free. No plans to go vegan, but I have also stopped eating eggs.

I hope I can stay on the wagon.

May 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Did anyone know stuv was going out (well so it seems) with Toby Greene’s ex girlfriend?

Attachments

• 95783FD7-C5C8-4294-A1C0-8A45C36ABEF8.jpeg
    95783FD7-C5C8-4294-A1C0-8A45C36ABEF8.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 45C62982-D018-4390-8250-66EC755F11F9.jpeg
    45C62982-D018-4390-8250-66EC755F11F9.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 202
I'm a whole week a vegetarian! Been toying with the idea for a long time, but always found a way to procrastinate. Well, I've finally taken the plunge and am seven days meat free. No plans to go vegan, but I have also stopped eating eggs.

I have a friend who is almost vegetarian.
He's finding he prefers the diet these days, but by the same token , if he goes to someones house and they serve meat he eats it. Doesn't agree with ideology at all.

The questions are ,
Why do you want to be vegetarian?
Why does it matter if you fall off the wagon occasionally, because you're still eating less meat than you used to?

My daughter is vegan and the best meal I had in England was at a vegetarian and vegan restaurant called Mildred's. It's near Carnaby street in London if you ever get down there. It was pretty reasonably priced for London as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I have a friend who is almost vegetarian.
He's finding he prefers the diet these days, but by the same token , if he goes to someones house and they serve meat he eats it. Doesn't agree with ideology at all.

The questions are ,
Why do you want to be vegetarian?
Why does it matter if you fall off the wagon occasionally, because you're still eating less meat than you used to?

Three main reasons I decided to go vegetarian:
1, Animal welfare.
2, The environmental impact of meat farming and its contribution to climate change.
3, Health benefits in terms of lower cholesterol and fat, plus the link between meat and some cancers.

I don't want to be just an occasional meat eater, for the above reasons. Having taken the leap, I'd like to do it properly. So no more shrimp on the barbie for me.

1, Animal welfare.
2, The environmental impact of meat farming and its contribution to climate change.
3, Health benefits in terms of lower cholesterol and fat, plus the link between meat and some cancers.

I don't want to be just an occasional meat eater, for the above reasons. Having taken the leap, I'd like to do it properly. So no more shrimp on the barbie for me.

After Mad Cow disease I'd be staying away from British meat for life. Every time you give blood here they check that you weren't in the UK in that period.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
1, Animal welfare.

So no seafood either?.

1, Animal welfare.

If you are going to do it MUFKilda just make sure you do it correctly. I've seen too many vegetarians that live on a diet of rice bubbles(krispies), cheese & crackers, muffins, pizza and pasta. They actually had better diets when the weren't vegetarian

For me the whole issue always comes down to one thing. If fats and proteins are essential for life and human beings do not require any carbohydrate to live, why base a diet predominantly on macro nutrient that is not essential for life. I have spent many 100s of hours researching cholesterol, fat, and the so called link between red meat and cancer and from my research the evidence is just not there.

The cholesterol hypothesis of Ancel Keys, based on his seven country study has now been shown to be fraudulent (he cherry picked data to suit his hypothesis). Statin drugs are just a vehicle for the drug companies to make exorbitant profits and the number of people that benefit from them is minuscule ( yet they are one of the most prescribe drugs in the world)
The links between meat and cancer all seem to come from association studies and they are not worth the paper they are written on.

I have followed Professor Tim Noakes for many years. He is eminently qualified to comment on this field and seems to make a lot of sense.
For anyone that is interested there is a link below

MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
If you are going to do it MUFKilda just make sure you do it correctly. I've seen too many vegetarians that live on a diet of rice bubbles(krispies), cheese & crackers, muffins, pizza and pasta. They actually had better diets when the weren't vegetarian

For me the whole issue always comes down to one thing. If fats and proteins are essential for life and human beings do not require any carbohydrate to live, why base a diet predominantly on macro nutrient that is not essential for life. I have spent many 100s of hours researching cholesterol, fat, and the so called link between red meat and cancer and from my research the evidence is just not there.

The cholesterol hypothesis of Ancel Keys, based on his seven country study has now been shown to be fraudulent (he cherry picked data to suit his hypothesis). Statin drugs are just a vehicle for the drug companies to make exorbitant profits and the number of people that benefit from them is minuscule ( yet they are one of the most prescribe drugs in the world)
The links between meat and cancer all seem to come from association studies and they are not worth the paper they are written on.

I have followed Professor Tim Noakes for many years. He is eminently qualified to comment on this field and seems to make a lot of sense.
For anyone that is interested there is a link below

I'm certainly not qualified to know the ins and outs, but clearly there are health benefits to no longer eating bacon, sausages, burgers etc. I'm going to weigh myself each week to see if it has an impact there too. Add that to the ethics of animal slaughter and the contribution meat farming is making to climate change, and I feel its right to finally get on board. Better late than never.

I'm certainly not qualified to know the ins and outs, but clearly there are health benefits to no longer eating bacon, sausages, burgers etc. I'm going to weigh myself each week to see if it has an impact there too. Add that to the ethics of animal slaughter and the contribution meat farming is making to climate change, and I feel its right to finally get on board. Better late than never.
Good Luck MUFkilda
We all have our own journey and you always have do do what feels right for you :thumbsu:

Have to download it , but there's a good article in here on electric vehicles.
Essentially we need to sort out our Power Station issues before we rush out and buy Tesla's, because we are effectively running them on coal.
I wish they'd get a move on, because it doesn't take long to shut down a coal station, but it might take a decade to build a replacement.

-------------------------------
ELECTRIC vehicles that are
charged using power generated by
coal are not as green as cars running
on petrol or diesel, according to
ABMARC, a respected Australian
engineering research group.
Analysis showed EVs, particularly
on Australia’s eastern states, are
responsible for more carbon dioxide
emissions than petrol vehicles, and
that in Victoria “CO2 emissions from