Discussion Random Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, on both of these posts. We're a lazy country generally, people don't want to take risks to start a company and do something great. They'd rather work a terrible job at a bank or telco or something, earn enough to pay off the house by the time they're 65, then retire having done nothing with their life. This despite having a super-comfortable country with an amazing safety net if you do fail.

Its not people taking risks .
Its people taking risks here.
Because our government have not made it a favorable environment.

Example.

Drivetrain Systems INternational. Based in Albury.
Designer and manufacturer of second rate auto transmissions.

Their main customer Sanyong goes broke, they don't pay their bills. So DSI go broke.

Ok so far so good. But why the hell doesn't our pissweak goverment say that SANYONG are not allowed to sell one of their crap cars in australia until they pay back all their australian debts. Hell Holden kept General motors going with dodgy tranfer fee's. THere is a reason the last COmmodore was the most expensive ever.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
ULP was $0.37/L cheaper in Geelong than Melbourne today.
Yeah - how is it not market manipulation and price gouging by the fuel suppliers? ACCC talks about "price cycles" - I say bull*****

$1.73 ATM in Melbourne and yet after freighting the same fuel 280 kilometres I can buy it for $1.39 at any number of petrol stations in my home town and haven't paid above $1.45 this year!!!

The reason - we actually have "COMPETITION"

Yeah - how is it not market manipulation and price gouging by the fuel suppliers? ACCC talks about "price cycles" - I say bull*****

$1.73 ATM in Melbourne and yet after freighting the same fuel 280 kilometres I can buy it for $1.39 at any number of petrol stations in my home town and haven't paid above $1.45 this year!!!

The reason - we actually have "COMPETITION"

They colluded to fix prices for years. Now they still screw us but in a different way.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Please can I come back as a Banking CEO.

In 4 years under your watch you see the share price tumble from $34 to $24, including an 11% fall after a capital raising three weeks ago when you must have known that they were being investigated by AUSTRAC for 23 MILLION breaches of the rules including facilitating child abuse in the Philippines and leave the company facing fines of up to $1 BILLION

- yet you still you get a $2.7 million payout.

Please can I come back as a Banking CEO.

In 4 years under your watch you see the share price tumble from $34 to $24, including an 11% fall after a capital raising three weeks ago when you must have known that they were being investigated by AUSTRAC for 23 MILLION breaches of the rules including facilitating child abuse in the Philippines and leave the company facing fines of up to $1 BILLION

- yet you still you get a $2.7 million payout.

When i used to work in General Motors , young switched on guys would make management.
It was like they went and had their brain removed.
They'd start talking in a slow monotone. They'd make dumb decisions to meet stupid targets, that didn't actually help the company.
Bizarre how unaware some of these people are.

Some of the really dumb ones i recall offhand.
Patrick Stevadores : How could the action they took EVER have worked out OK.

Masters Hardware : Now if it was me i'd have put together a list of places as far as possible from existing Bunnings stores to build my Masters, pickinig up the "just go to the closest one " customers. Was putting them across the road arrogance, overconfidence, delusion, or idiocy ?

As a top business Manager, i thought Paul Little displayed very little common sense throughout the Essendon drugs debacle, preferring to put on display his style of using the legal system to try to bully his way through.

When i used to work in General Motors , young switched on guys would make management.
They'd start talking in a slow monotone. They'd make dumb decisions to meet stupid targets, that didn't actually help the company.

Masters Hardware : Now if it was me i'd have put together a list of places as far as possible from existing Bunnings stores to build my Masters, pickinig up the "just go to the closest one " customers. Was putting them across the road arrogance, overconfidence, delusion, or idiocy ?

As a top business Manager, i thought Paul Little displayed very little common sense throughout the Essendon drugs debacle, preferring to put on display his style of using the legal system to try to bully his way through.

Toll holdings was sold off to Japan Post under Little and when they found what they'd bought, they weren't happy. Not quite accurately portrayed would be an understatement.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

He’s actually a smart guy (from people who’ve worked closely with him) but he’s also a campaigner so that causes him to make bad decisions.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams

Nah - they're smart enough - its just that they aren't held responsible for their actions.

I remember a few years ago Alan Joyce (CEO Qantas) being asked why he was still getting his bonus even though the company was tanking - his response - I deserve it because without me it would have been worse. Can't argue with that logic!!!!

Nah - they're smart enough - its just that they aren't held responsible for their actions.

I remember a few years ago Alan Joyce (CEO Qantas) being asked why he was still getting his bonus even though the company was tanking - his response - I deserve it because without me it would have been worse. Can't argue with that logic!!!!

But for normal people, its all in the results.

Location was not their issue going by some of the meetings I was privy to.

Their closure was rather obvious when you met a couple of them and heard their ideas on how best to move forward.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm seeing all these adds for black friday sales. Now, is that the same black friday where a bunch of people were burned to death, or another black Friday??
Coz I'm assuming its the former, and I'm finding it really disgusting. Like really, really, really disgusting..

Is the retail sector actually piggybacking on a tragedy to sell more pointless sh1t, and is government actually letting them do it??

Someone tell me I've got it wrong please!!!

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Nothing to do with Australia or bushfires.

It’s the day after thanksgiving in the US, many people have a four day weekend and it’s seen as the start of the Christmas shopping period. It’s a relatively recent invention like cyber Monday, with internet shopping many people here have taken advantage of the special deals and retailers here have jumped on board.

It’s unfortunate that it has other connotations here but unfortunately just about every day has some terrible fire connected to it including Ash Wednesday for example.

Nothing to do with Australia or bushfires.

It’s the day after thanksgiving in the US, many people have a four day weekend and it’s seen as the start of the Christmas shopping period. It’s a relatively recent invention like cyber Monday, with internet shopping many people here have taken advantage of the special deals and retailers here have jumped on board.

It’s unfortunate that it has other connotations here but unfortunately just about every day has some terrible fire connected to it including Ash Wednesday for example.

Because in general we are Americanised idiots.
Next thing we'll be ditching the Grand Final holiday so we can have Superbowl.

Its not recent and its certainly not an Invention.

From Wikipedia...
"The day after Thanksgiving has been regarded as the beginning of America's Christmas shopping season since 1952, although the term "Black Friday" did not become widely used until more recent decades.

I encourage anyone attending these sales at non-virtual stores to troll them in the following manner.

"What is black Friday "

and in the event that you get the correct reply of " the Friday after thanksgiving.
"What is Thanksgiving"?

Its idiocy started as a cynical marketing champagne.

I liked the advertising i received from Fantastic Funiture. "Black Friday? We just call it Friday "

-------------------------------------------------
In recent years, Black Friday has been promoted in Australia by in-store and online retailers. In 2011, Online Shopping USA hosted an event on Twitter. Twitter users had to use the hashtag #osublackfriday and it allowed them to follow along and tweet favourite deals and discounts from stores.[84] In 2013, Apple extended its Black Friday deals to Australia. Purchasing online gave customers free shipping and free iTunes gift cards with every purchase. The deals were promoted on their website, it read "Official Apple Store—One day Apple shopping event Friday, November 29".[85] Australia Post's ShopMate parcel-forwarding service allows Australian customers to purchase products with "Black Friday" deals from the US and get them shipped to Australia. In addition to this, numerous stores in the country run Black Friday promotions in-store and online throughout the country.[86]

Black Friday started picking up in New Zealand around 2013. In 2015, major retailers such as The Warehouse, Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman offered Black Friday sales,[87] and by 2018 were joined by Farmers, JB Hi-Fi, Briscoes and Rebel Sport. Paymark, which processes around 75 percent of New Zealand's electronic transactions, recorded $219 million NZD (US$151 million) of transactions on Black Friday 2017, up over 10 percent from the previous year

Last edited:

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Because in general we are Americanised idiots.
Next thing we'll be ditching the Grand Final holiday so we can have Superbowl.

Its not recent and its certainly not an Invention.

From Wikipedia...
"The day after Thanksgiving has been regarded as the beginning of America's Christmas shopping season since 1952, although the term "Black Friday" did not become widely used until more recent decades.

I encourage anyone attending these sales at non-virtual stores to troll them in the following manner.

"What is black Friday "

and in the event that you get the correct reply of " the Friday after thanksgiving.
"What is Thanksgiving"?

Its idiocy started as a cynical marketing champagne.

I liked the advertising i received from Fantastic Funiture. "Black Friday? We just call it Friday "

-------------------------------------------------
In recent years, Black Friday has been promoted in Australia by in-store and online retailers. In 2011, Online Shopping USA hosted an event on Twitter. Twitter users had to use the hashtag #osublackfriday and it allowed them to follow along and tweet favourite deals and discounts from stores.[84] In 2013, Apple extended its Black Friday deals to Australia. Purchasing online gave customers free shipping and free iTunes gift cards with every purchase. The deals were promoted on their website, it read "Official Apple Store—One day Apple shopping event Friday, November 29".[85] Australia Post's ShopMate parcel-forwarding service allows Australian customers to purchase products with "Black Friday" deals from the US and get them shipped to Australia. In addition to this, numerous stores in the country run Black Friday promotions in-store and online throughout the country.[86]

Black Friday started picking up in New Zealand around 2013. In 2015, major retailers such as The Warehouse, Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman offered Black Friday sales,[87] and by 2018 were joined by Farmers, JB Hi-Fi, Briscoes and Rebel Sport. Paymark, which processes around 75 percent of New Zealand's electronic transactions, recorded $219 million NZD (US$151 million) of transactions on Black Friday 2017, up over 10 percent from the previous year

I regard something that started in 1952 as recent and it’s certainly a recent date on the calendar here, of course it’s a marketing campaign so what?.

Do you really care as a consumer why you’re getting a discount?. I’ll never understand why people get so bent out of shape by so little, don’t like Halloween etc then ignore it. Thanksgiving is an American Holiday with no relevance to Australians, nobody is suggesting you celebrate the day.

Just add Black Friday to the list like Valentine’s Day etc that have crept onto the calendar here and grown in popularity.

I regard something that started in 1952 as recent and it’s certainly a recent date on the calendar here, of course it’s a marketing campaign so what?.

Do you really care as a consumer why you’re getting a discount?. I’ll never understand why people get so bent out of shape by so little, don’t like Halloween etc then ignore it. Thanksgiving is an American Holiday with no relevance to Australians, nobody is suggesting you celebrate the day.

Just add Black Friday to the list like Valentine’s Day etc that have crept onto the calendar here and grown in popularity.

So Thanksgiving is an American Holiday with no relevance to Australians, but the Sales the day after are relevant ?

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
So Thanksgiving is an American Holiday with no relevance to Australians, but the Sales the day after are relevant ?
Thanksgiving isn’t relevant in any sense here other than the timing of the sales, fourth Thursday in November.

You have already detailed how consumers here were buying online from the US sales and how that was extended here, obviously many businesses have decided it’s not a bad way to kick off the Christmas spending spree.

The dates relevant to Australia the holiday that the US celebrates isn’t.

Thanksgiving isn’t relevant in any sense here other than the timing of the sales, fourth Thursday in November.

You have already detailed how consumers here were buying online from the US sales and how that was extended here, obviously many businesses have decided it’s not a bad way to kick off the Christmas spending spree.

The dates relevant to Australia the holiday that the US celebrates isn’t.

But the "Black Friday" event is directly related to the holiday.
You literally don't know when it is except for Thanksgiving.

Seriously... We don't have to do everything just because someone who works in marketing thinks its a good idea.
OK there are internet sales in the States who call it that. That doesn't mean that you are getting the same bargain at Harvey Norman because they copied the name.

In the USA its a big sale before Christmas, the retailers clear their stock because after Christmas you are less likely to clear it.
Try getting something online shipped from the USA tomorrow and having it in time for Christmas.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
But the "Black Friday" event is directly related to the holiday.
You literally don't know when it is except for Thanksgiving.

Seriously... We don't have to do everything just because someone who works in marketing thinks its a good idea.
OK there are internet sales in the States who call it that. That doesn't mean that you are getting the same bargain at Harvey Norman because they copied the name.

In the USA its a big sale before Christmas, the retailers clear their stock because after Christmas you are less likely to clear it.
Try getting something online shipped from the USA tomorrow and having it in time for Christmas.
It’s a total non event as far as I’m concerned but the retail sector must have some data to support it.

My eldest daughter moves out in a couple of weeks so we had a look for the last few things she needs fridge, washing machine, dryer etc. I’m sure there are some good discounts but I think I could have done just as well last week and I’ll probably do better next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back