Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived in Minneapolis (a long time ago) - it is a great city with great people, hate watching the riots wreck the place. Afraid this chaos will not go away and some from extremes will thrive in it.
I get the feeling the only way it will really settle down is having that police officers head on a stick. Even then it feels more than just people upset over George Floyd's death now. It's people upset over everything.

I get the feeling the only way it will really settle down is having that police officers head on a stick. Even then it feels more than just people upset over George Floyd's death now. It's people upset over everything.

Yep well said, some will thrive in that chaos as well - someone to blame.

It's like years of pent up anger and resentment bubbling over on top of the crazy times we are in helping make crazy normal.

It's like years of pent up anger and resentment bubbling over on top of the crazy times we are in helping make crazy normal.
Indeed. It's all come together in a massive powerkeg. Take once incident and the keg goes off.

Last edited:
It's what happens when you don't look after your citizens. Eventually they run out patience.

I saw earlier in Minniapolis they were looting a bottle shop. Some were walking out with light beer. Surely if you're going to loot you take the good stuff!

Maybe they were grabbing the light beers to throw at cops?

The reason for that is simple. It helps prevent other countries from figuring out what exact parts were used to create the vehicle or whatever it is. What they do is take the total build cost and randomly adjust the prices of everything so a $10,000 computer might be listed for $5,673 but the $600 monitor listed for $6000.
It’s a crude example, but it’s why O-rings are listed as being worth literally hundreds of dollars more than their actual cost.
Bunnings isn’t actually being paid $354 for the hammer, it’s just listed like that in the public records.

Sounds logical spending $26 billion ...particularly when you need Oil paintings & Chesterfields.

It’s a pension plan for politicians nothing more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Round 3, 1997 v Collingwood

Great memories

Someone posted this on FB, the good old days when we nearly cracked 200 points in a match. We'd be lucky to score that in a month these days.

Fair to say it's kicking off in the US tonight.

The killing of George Floyd is a scandal. Who the hell would keep their knee pressed on somebody's neck for around eight minutes? I believe the cop has been charged with murder, and rightly so. Racism is one of the fault lines in American society, along with guns, and there is always the possibility of trouble. Whilst I fully understand the anger of black Americans at police racism, rioting only causes destruction, and those using the tragedy as an excuse to loot shops are a disgrace. Peaceful protest is always more effective; violence gives the racists the excuse to shift the agenda.

The killing of George Floyd is a scandal. Who the hell would keep their knee pressed on somebody's neck for around eight minutes? I believe the cop has been charged with murder, and rightly so. Racism is one of the fault lines in American society, along with guns, and there is always the possibility of trouble. Whilst I fully understand the anger of black Americans at police racism, rioting only causes destruction, and those using the tragedy as an excuse to loot shops are a disgrace. Peaceful protest is always more effective; violence gives the racists the excuse to shift the agenda.

There was a transcript and timeline of his death. He urinated himself, bled from the nose and begged for air and his mum and even after blacking-out and going limp the policeman kept he knee on his neck for over 2 minutes. The cop had shot multiple people who were minorities and chased a car which lead to a group of young people dying. Who ever allowed him back on the street multiple times should be charged too.

My wife just said she though she was watching the Blues Brothers with all the damaged cop carsView attachment 884238

Anger against the police and the political structures which allow racist murder to happen is totally understandable, but violence only enables victims to be cast as those at fault in the media, and thus change the narrative. Keep the focus upon those who perpetuate injustice.

Anger against the police and the political structures which allow racist murder to happen is totally understandable, but violence only enables victims to be cast as those at fault in the media, and thus change the narrative. Keep the focus upon those who perpetuate injustice.
I'm not so sure, America is a nation conceived in blood, and to a fair extent injustice and corruption certainly extremes of behaviour and belief, and while England's and Australia's history isn't clean by any stretch we've never embraced the extremes the way America has. I think you would be right if it occurred in a modern version of our nations. America though has 30,000 plus deaths from guns every year, there is an ingrained acceptance of and a desensitisation to violence that would mean only violence of greater extremes would create change.

How bad does the US have to get before change occurs, it's been worse than this and it made little to no difference, and while I don't push the idea of the need for greater violence, there's a reality that those who have worked quietly at some point would say it was a pointless exercise and why not go the whole hog.

IMHO the things that made our game great to watch were forwards kicking big bags of goals, high marking and one v one contests. I used to watch most games because I wanted to see a Silvagni v Dustall or Carey v Jackovich matchup. Or I tuned in to see lots goals being scored by both teams in game. Nowdays we get excited if a forward kicks 5 goals and a team kicks over 100 points. I used to get disappointed if Lockett had only kicked 5 goals by half time.

If a key forward could kick a bag as well as take high marks e.g Modra or Ablett, that was viewing heaven for me

IMO the interchange has changed the whole fabric of our game and not for the better. I don't know why they just didn't introduce a 20th and 21st man and maybe have 2 interchanges per quarter to deal with injuries or concussion. The whole purpose of the interchange was to stop injured players having to go back on the ground or to stop teams being disadvantaged because they had less than 18 players on the field. It seems like every other week the AFL want to change the rules, but the rule that IMO has had the single most detrimental effect on the game; the interchange ... somehow they don't want to change that!

IMHO the things that made our game great to watch were forwards kicking big bags of goals, high marking and one v one contests. I used to watch most games because I wanted to see a Silvagni v Dustall or Carey v Jackovich matchup. Or I tuned in to see lots goals being scored by both teams in game. Nowdays we get excited if a forward kicks 5 goals and a team kicks over 100 points. I used to get disappointed if Lockett had only kicked 5 goals by half time.

If a key forward could kick a bag as well as take high marks e.g Modra or Ablett, that was viewing heaven for me

IMO the interchange has changed the whole fabric of our game and not for the better. I don't know why they just didn't introduce a 20th and 21st man and maybe have 2 interchanges per quarter to deal with injuries or concussion. The whole purpose of the interchange was to stop injured players having to go back on the ground or to stop teams being disadvantaged because they had less than 18 players on the field. It seems like every other week the AFL want to change the rules, but the rule that IMO has had the single most detrimental effect on the game; the interchange ... somehow they don't want to change that!

I still think the thing that stops big bags is the zone defence though. No-one has a one on one contest with a full back these days. Some campaigner will drop in front of the contest and chop off the entry as you wrestle with an opposition back. Paddy and others played without zones in TAC cup and could kick bags, get them to the AFL and there is no outworking in a one on one any more. Now we have decoy forwards, guys that are there to rebound/ defend on the counter attack but not score etc. It's a different game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back