Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poison City on Brunswick Street is fantastic for original and re release alternative and punk vinyls.
Their knowledge in regards to skate/pool boards is a bonus if anybody is into that.
Yeah they're great as well! One of my teachers from Uni last year, his name is Anty - he's the lead singer of The Bennies who are signed with Poison City, I've bought a few records from there as well

Yeah that's it, Strangewolrd Records and Off The Hip are awesome for alternative and rock LP's too, especially the more local homegrown stuff. Melbourne is very lucky with the music scene and all the independent record stores we have around
Havnt tried Strangeworld but I'll have to give it a look.
Used to like Gaslight and Dixons in the city yrs ago.

Poison City on Brunswick Street is fantastic for original and re release alternative and punk vinyls.
Their knowledge in regards to skate/pool boards is a bonus if anybody is into that.
I may be waaaaaay too old for the skateboards lol.
But im always on the look out for Bad Brains or Fishbone vinyl, stuff like that.
Might try there as well, thanks for the tip :thumbsu:

I may be waaaaaay too old for the skateboards lol.
But im always on the look out for Bad Brains or Fishbone vinyl, stuff like that.
Might try there as well, thanks for the tip :thumbsu:
It all depends on order times due to it being a small store, but i've been incredibly lucky with some finds there.
Good luck.

Do you use Discogs? You can literally find almost any release on there
Yeah i have used it.
But i gotta admit i love going through crowded record shops, record Fairs, 2nd hand markets etc going through boxs and boxs of records looking for a hidden gem.
Its a hobby.

Nice man, can't go wrong with the stones! If that's the one I'm thinking of they can go for up to $60 so that's a great bargain! My best eBay experience with records was picking up a really rare pressing of a King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard (Aussie band) album for $100 - it was a crazy price to pay, but on the second hand market it generally sells for anywhere between $250-400. I then got it signed by the entire band and it's now one of my most prized possessions, worth god knows how much but I wouldn't ever sell it anyway :D

King Gizzard are awesome, I'm loving the psychedelic Aussie bands around at the moment, Tame Impala are a pretty decent band too.

Yeah i have used it.
But i gotta admit i love going through crowded record shops, record Fairs, 2nd hand markets etc going through boxs and boxs of records looking for a hidden gem.
Its a hobby.

Yeah I only use it to scoff at how cheap my find were. It seems to have lots of stuff so cheap it's ridiculous though. Popsike is better for showing insane prices.

I found a whole lot of original pressings of Bob Dylan and early Beatles at Cheltenham market recently all like new and under $10 each. Another guy there had some more expensive stuff but really good titles and listed off all the stuff he'd sold, He had killer stuff and were all his from when he was young. Wish I'd got there earlier, he'd sold all his Floyd and Zeppelin etc already. I bought some Doors and Neil Young and a few others though. Another guy has a pretty big set up there with heaps to dig through if you are going past on a Sunday.

Try Round and Round in Brunswick too, Dave has the best knowledge of punk and post punk you will find anywhere. He's a bit prone to thinking anything that anyone has heard of is too mainstream though so you'll end up buying something so obscure you won't remember why you bought it.

Try Round and Round in Brunswick too, Dave has the best knowledge of punk and post punk you will find anywhere. He's a bit prone to thinking anything that anyone has heard of is too mainstream though so you'll end up buying something so obscure you won't remember why you bought it.
My brother used to live right around the corner from it. So every time I went around to his, i'd detour past R&R.
Some seriously good tastes in music on here from the sounds of things.

King Gizzard are awesome, I'm loving the psychedelic Aussie bands around at the moment, Tame Impala are a pretty decent band too.
They're great, and a lot of the King Gizzard boys are Saints supporters too ;) if you like them though you should check out The Murlocs, a couple of the guys from King Gizzard are in it and they're awesome as well

They're great, and a lot of the King Gizzard boys are Saints supporters too ;) if you like them though you should check out The Murlocs, a couple of the guys from King Gizzard are in it and they're awesome as well

Yeah I know them too I think they were on triple J unearthed. heard them somewhere.

I'm an old man now but played in a few bands in the 90s. You sound young but there were some good bands from oz in those days. Check out Proton Energy Pills, Tumbleweed, Sidewinder, Celibate Rifles, Bored, God, Hard Ons....actually can't remember that many now I come to think of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw a couple of their songs late on Rage one night after id had a few frothies and that film clip of theirs with the big bird was tripping me out.

Yeah I know them too I think they were on triple J unearthed. heard them somewhere.

I'm an old man now but played in a few bands in the 90s. You sound young but there were some good bands from oz in those days. Check out Proton Energy Pills, Tumbleweed, Sidewinder, Celibate Rifles, Bored, God, Hard Ons....actually can't remember that many now I come to think of it.
Haha, yeah I'm 21 but I do know a few of those bands you've mentioned. Some of the guys leading the Aussie charge for garage rock these days would be King Gizzard, The Murlocs, Drunk Mums, Dune Rats seem to be pretty popular and Stonefield are incredible. I'm sure I'm missing a few though. Violent Soho and DZ Deathrays are nuts too

I saw a couple of their songs late on Rage one night after id had a few frothies and that film clip of theirs with the big bird was tripping me out.
Hahaha that would be this one right here, one of my mates helped with the film clip!

They have so many great tunes, they're incredible. Their album 'Nonagon Infinity' was designed so that every song flows into the next, and the last goes right back into the first song so technically it can be played on an infinite loop, believed to be the first ever. Incredible young musicians destined for greatness, they could end up being one of the most prolific bands in Australian music history by the time they finish up, I highly recommend them to anyone and everyone

Sigh.....I opened my mouth and asked if the mrs want3d to go see guns n roses

I'll make sure the phone is charged that night
Cant stand that whiney bitch

Although I'm looking forward to civil war and the Live and let die and Layla covers
Anybody else on here go to the GnR concert at Calder Park in the 90s.
HOLY s**t mother nature unleashed her fury that day with a vengance that was Biblical .
Boiling heat, dust storms and torrential rains.
Only thing missisg was the locust.
Crazy f-ing day.

Question for our Hellenic friends (GJD23 , Saintos ): I'm teaching my kids the words for eating utensils at the moment. We've got πιατι, γαβαθα, κουπα, πιρουνι, κουταλι, and μαχαιρι, all good there... but I can't for the life of me find the word for a spork, or splayed. Can you help a brother out?

Question for our Hellenic friends (GJD23 , Saintos ): I'm teaching my kids the words for eating utensils at the moment. We've got πιατι, γαβαθα, κουπα, πιρουνι, κουταλι, and μαχαιρι, all good there... but I can't for the life of me find the word for a spork, or splayed. Can you help a brother out?
Any word that isn't in the Greek language you just have to say in English with a very Greek accent, lol. Really I'm not too sure. I think stavro#4 is also Greek?

Any word that isn't in the Greek language you just have to say in English with a very Greek accent, lol. Really I'm not too sure. I think stavro#4 is also Greek?
Hehe, yep: it's funny the reversal that's happened there. Obviously, lots and lots of English words are derived from Greek, but as I look more into it, I'm starting to see how Greek words are sometimes derived from English now. We were looking at the words for clothing last night, and found the word for jumper was πουλοβερ, essentially poulover! lol.

Hehe, yep: it's funny the reversal that's happened there. Obviously, lots and lots of English words are derived from Greek, but as I look more into it, I'm starting to see how Greek words are sometimes derived from English now. We were looking at the words for clothing last night, and found the word for jumper was πουλοβερ, essentially poulover! lol.
Interesting isn't it! My old man used to love telling me how we made everything and how every word can be broken down from Greek to English lol

Interesting isn't it! My old man used to love telling me how we made everything and how every word can be broken down from Greek to English lol
Seriously man, that's what got me through Greek at theological college! So many of the words I had to learn were obviously just copied in English, especially in medical and science words. I was set once I realised you just swap υ for y a lot of the time: ie, γυνη = gynaecology = women. Done. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back