Random Discussion - NO POLITICS, NO RELIGION

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never got the impression they were looking for a muscle bound commander at any point. The name of the film is literally saving Private Ryan - Private, not commander. Most privates in WW2 were kids. I think you getting that impression is an error on your part, not the films.

One of the GOAT films, I have to re-watch it at least once a year.

Terrible post on my part.

Jeez, what a let down of a film. They spend weeks looking for Private Ryan who you as the viewer think is this muscle bound commander of the unit trying to find him and the big reveal when they do end up finding him is Matt Damon who looked like he was about 16 years old at the time. Makes you think it really wasn’t worth risking life and limb.

Muscle bound Commander?? I think you may be getting mixed up with the 'other' version of the film, 'Saving Ryan's Privates'..😆

I never got the impression they were looking for a muscle bound commander at any point. The name of the film is literally saving Private Ryan - Private, not commander. Most privates in WW2 were kids. I think you getting that impression is an error on your part, not the films.

One of the GOAT films, I have to re-watch it at least once a year.
One of the all time greats no doubt. 5 Oscars. Just a great film.

I'm sure you probably like Band of Brothers as well? I watch that through every few years as well. Absurdly good series.

Hanks is actually a huge history nut which probably helps make the series so good. His on an episode of Hard Core history with Dan Carlin if that type of thing interests you.

I'm sure you probably like Band of Brothers as well? I watch that through every few years as well. Absurdly good series.

Hanks is actually a huge history nut which probably helps make the series so good. His on an episode of Hard Core history with Dan Carlin if that type of thing interests you.
Also, The Pacific.

I do love that series also. It's amazing how many modern big names are in it before they became big. Just star after star. I started watching it again about 6 months ago but stopped - no idea why. I'm about due to go again

I didn't know Hanks was on an episode, but Countdown to Armageddon is probably my favourite podcast series ever. I just finished his Supernova in the East series which was also very good.

I do love that series also. It's amazing how many modern big names are in it before they became big. Just star after star. I started watching it again about 6 months ago but stopped - no idea why. I'm about due to go again

I didn't know Hanks was on an episode, but Countdown to Armageddon is probably my favourite podcast series ever. I just finished his Supernova in the East series which was also very good.
Yeay that blueprint for Armageddon series is so good.

Carlin just has a way to talk for hour upon hour and be completely captivating. That series must go for 25 hours but just completely compelling. Does a great job describing the overall movements and events of the war, but also mixes in and gives you a feel for life for a soldier down on the ground.

Hanks is actually on one of his other podcasts Hard-core history Addendum. It's shorter podcasts that don't warrant a full series. Give it a look. Episode 5 nightmare on the Indianapolis is excellent.

Hanks is on episode 12 Wolf pack hunting.

Yeay that blueprint for Armageddon series is so good.

Carlin just has a way to talk for hour upon hour and be completely captivating. That series must go for 25 hours but just completely compelling. Does a great job describing the overall movements and events of the war, but also mixes in and gives you a feel for life for a soldier down on the ground.

Hanks is actually on one of his other podcasts Hard-core history Addendum. It's shorter podcasts that don't warrant a full series. Give it a look. Episode 5 nightmare on the Indianapolis is excellent.

Hanks is on episode 12 Wolf pack hunting.
That's right, blueprint, not countdown, my bad! He has a great way of confronting you with the gritty realism of what they guys were experiencing. Giving you some idea of how bad the environment would've been for the individuals in the war, something that's often overlooked in favour of the broad scope battles/events and repercussions.

Also I think the fact he has an interesting and unique voice helps with the longevity of the podcasts.

Have you checked out Supernova in the East? About the Pacific in ww2. He released the last ep in the series maybe a month ago, part 6. That ep alone is nearly 6 hours long!

That's right, blueprint, not countdown, my bad! He has a great way of confronting you with the gritty realism of what they guys were experiencing. Giving you some idea of how bad the environment would've been for the individuals in the war, something that's often overlooked in favour of the broad scope battles/events and repercussions.

Also I think the fact he has an interesting and unique voice helps with the longevity of the podcasts.

Have you checked out Supernova in the East? About the Pacific in ww2. He released the last ep in the series maybe a month ago, part 6. That ep alone is nearly 6 hours long!
Yeah I am about halfway through supernova. Everything he does is so detailed and perfect. Must take him forever to research and articulate the episodes. Cant imagine the time it actually takes for each episode.

god that was a loooong series. The Mirror of Her Dreams is better.
Too funny. Went looking for that book aftrr seeing the reference. It's what I remember from that author. Read many many moons ago but remember I liked it at the time. :smilev1:

god that was a loooong series. The Mirror of Her Dreams is better.
was that the endless s**t-tome around that leper, unclean dude thingy? well? was it? well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to get my Pfizer jab tomorrow... :cryv1:

If I don't make it... Due to excessive woosyness to needles... Bigfooty it's been fun...
Also if I don't make it back... I will leave the small number of likes I may have accumulated somewhere to ferrisb ,
so he will stop posting in the bluemour no discussion thread :tongueoutv1:

If I don't make it... Due to excessive woosyness to needles... Bigfooty it's been fun...
Also if I don't make it back... I will leave the small number of likes I may have accumulated somewhere to ferrisb ,
You'll be fine,it's a walk in the park.

Got mine a week ago, it's just a second, followed by a waiting room.

and?

Got my first dose this morning.

The lady at the counter hesitated when I said I was there for Pfizer. She seemed slightly surprised when I said I was 40yo.

Highlight of my week so far!

Make sure you tell the nurse and they won't let you face plant during the injection!

Godspeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back