Random Discussion - NO POLITICS, NO RELIGION

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Metalcrusher - if you are leveraged into property via your super - you do understand that your real bet is on the continuation of lax rules by the govmint re Chinese investment in residential real estate - yeah? If you aren't leveraged ( ie have no borrowings on the property, risk is lower but factor bet is the same).

As a general rule the govmint has declared its intentions re super last year - anything above 1.5M is no longer a tax haven - that is stage one.

Generally that would be similar to any investment property, whether through a SMSF or not

Airbnb is a great stream of income for a SMSF, especially if that income sits under $75K a year, which will eliminate GST requirements

Dunno if it happens in the Eastern States, but if you buy a SA residential property, even as a first home buyer, and you lease it out, you are exempt from land/sales tax, which is usually 15k on top.

Might be a SA thing Stig - what horrifies me is that they changed the rules in Super to allow people to borrow and buy into property into their super fund....what is weird about this is that you can't do the same (ie borrow money) to buy equities in your super fund.Too many people are too invested in one asset class in their super (property) - which has been a good bet as interest rates went down and chinese were allowed to buy the stuff propping markets up - but if foreign ownership is turned off ( ala NZ) the leverage is all to the downside ...

Generally that would be similar to any investment property, whether through a SMSF or not

Airbnb is a great stream of income for a SMSF, especially if that income sits under $75K a year, which will eliminate GST requirements

As above Arr0w - too many people are too exposed to one asset class IN their super....

Metalcrusher - if you are leveraged into property via your super - you do understand that your real bet is on the continuation of lax rules by the govmint re Chinese investment in residential real estate - yeah? If you aren't leveraged ( ie have no borrowings on the property, risk is lower but factor bet is the same).

As a general rule the govmint has declared its intentions re super last year - anything above 1.5M is no longer a tax haven - that is stage one.

Yip. Can't have the peasants getting 1.5m at retirement age whilst not earning a tax dollar ;) Plus they also have to pay off their own superannuation (guaranteed) blackhole from the GFC still for their public service workers....

As to your points, they won't kick current buyers out, Australia has opened itself up to foreign ownership and will not change even now. ASICS has slightly tightened its grip in the last 10 years but they (foreign investors) are just buying smaller chunks, see farmland purchases. The housing pressure in places such as Sydney and Melbourne and to a certain degree Brisvegas, especially inside the 15 km ring of the CBD will never be a factor. This will always result in demand pressures which will keep what I call inner city housing artificially inflated. Unless of course you buy into multi story condos. Not for me. That is why there are so many stupid schemes out there to attract unwary buyers.

Why is that so? Look no further than satellite suburbs opening up in the major cities. One would think people moving out from inner city life to the burbs would be wanting land right? Nope. Average land sizes for new developments is 450 m/s! Since your capital appreciation is based on LAND value only (your house being a depreciating asset), you will expect much lower capital growth in outlying areas in so far as it will never fully realise its original investment potential, when say you compare it to inner city purchases.

Never thought of that. Cheers Azza!

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
As above Arr0w - too many people are too exposed to one asset class IN their super....

20 years ago I quit Uncle Rupert, and had 15k in super.

That was the deposit on my first house.

8 years later, during the cowboy years, got it up to near 100k.

45 minutes later it was 32k.

Thing is, Super is always kite flying.......you wanna do the right thing, then last week.....

Do I believe in Super???

Would rather stick with cash right now.

JoeyPBLUES

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Yip. Can't have the peasants getting 1.5m at retirement age whilst not earning a tax dollar ;) Plus they also have to pay off their own superannuation (guaranteed) blackhole from the GFC still for their public service workers....

As to your points, they won't kick current buyers out, Australia has opened itself up to foreign ownership and will not change even now. ASICS has slightly tightened its grip in the last 10 years but they (foreign investors) are just buying smaller chunks, see farmland purchases. The housing pressure in places such as Sydney and Melbourne and to a certain degree Brisvegas, especially inside the 15 km ring of the CBD will never be a factor. This will always result in demand pressures which will keep what I call inner city housing artificially inflated. Unless of course you buy into multi story condos. Not for me. That is why there are so many stupid schemes out there to attract unwary buyers.

Why is that so? Look no further than satellite suburbs opening up in the major cities. One would think people moving out from inner city life to the burbs would be wanting land right? Nope. Average land sizes for new developments is 450 m/s! Since your capital appreciation is based on LAND value only (your house being a depreciating asset), you will expect much lower capital growth in outlying areas in so far as it will never fully realise its original investment potential, when say you compare it to inner city purchases.

Land values can And do change dependent on zoning etc. Council change the zoning your properties worth a s*** ton more if it can be developed. Where I am now houses you wouldn’t have p***** on because they were on major main roads hace had dining’s changed from normal residential to DD08 meaning higher density sell for more than a good house on a good block. You’re talking anything from 700 Sqm block they’re letting them build appartments to 3 stories. 400 sqm inner city in some areas will allow a sizeable dwelling. As the population grows over the next 20 years the outer suburbs will change as well

Land values can And do change dependent on zoning etc. Council change the zoning your properties worth a s*** ton more if it can be developed. Where I am now houses you wouldn’t have p***** on because they were on major main roads hace had dining’s changed from normal residential to DD08 meaning higher density sell for more than a good house on a good block. You’re talking anything from 700 Sqm block they’re letting them build appartments to 3 stories. 400 sqm inner city in some areas will allow a sizeable dwelling. As the population grows over the next 20 years the outer suburbs will change as well

I don't have 20 years my boy! I'm 47.

The only ones losing money from the recent market downturn are the ones who cash out. Otherwise you still hold the same number of shares, in the same companies, as before.

It is a paper loss, not a real one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Keating never intended Super to become a low tax paying investment vehicle for the rich - Costello and Howard fixed that. People aggregating tens of millions of dollars and more whilst paying 15% tax offset by franking credits....just a nonsense theft on the ordinary Australian who has to pay full rack via PAYE - grubby stuff.
Something we can agree on JAB but what is the alternative for poor buggers like me.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Something we can agree on JAB but what is the alternative for poor buggers like me.

Nothing wrong with super for everyone- just limit the amount of super that can be accrued at 15% tax rate ( or less) and then tax the balance at full marginal tax rate.

Reunite us Aphrodite.... this thread is as old as the hills and does not have the same vibe
Please.:)
We’re being socially isolated

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
therubbernub ferrisb thanks for introducing George Carlin ....bit hooked atm.
Smart guy. Got a bit 'Old man yells at cloud' in his very old age.

There's a thing he did which is one of my favourite pieces of standup ever, as part of a speech he gave to the press gallery, all on the nature of the english language. You'd think it'd be bat s**t boring and not funny at all, but the bloke had such a way with words and a charisma to him that he had them all belly-laughing.

Don't like his stance on abstaining from voting. Doesn't make you an rebel or someone 'outside the system', makes you complicit.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Smart guy. Got a bit 'Old man yells at cloud' in his very old age.

There's a thing he did which is one of my favourite pieces of standup ever, as part of a speech he gave to the press gallery, all on the nature of the english language. You'd think it'd be bat s**t boring and not funny at all, but the bloke had such a way with words and a charisma to him that he had them all belly-laughing.

Don't like his stance on abstaining from voting. Doesn't make you an rebel or someone 'outside the system', makes you complicit.
yeah a lot of good stuff...but i did come across a really bad segment unfortunately..."george carlin - answering machines"...i was not happy at all...talking about his hatred for people using their young children to upload their telephone answering messages....some of the stuff he goes on to humor about was very cringe worthy.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
yeah a lot of good stuff...but i did come across a really bad segment unfortunately..."george carlin - answering machines"...i was not happy at all...talking about his hatred for people using their young children to upload their telephone answering messages....some of the stuff he goes on to humor about was very cringe worthy.

He will forever be Rufus to me..

Hope Bill and Ted Face The Music pay tribute to the great man in someway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back