Random Discussion - NO POLITICS, NO RELIGION

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Challenge accepted! Here's my stream of consciousness.

Lockdown has been a challenge for me mentally. We pulled Booger out of daycare for a while so I was stuck in the house 24/7 with a 3 month old (when lockdown began) and a 2 year old. Not being able to do simple things like go to the playground or visit my mum was tough. HBF has been working from home and Booger couldn't understand why his dad didn't want to play with him all day. Gomez (the baby) wouldn't nap anywhere except in my arms until very recently, so 4 hours out of every day were spent stuck under the baby. Booger couldn't understand that, either. I also haven't had more than 4 hours' unbroken sleep in more than 6 months so I'm exhausted.

It has been surprisingly good for my marriage though. Previously HBF and I really only saw each other for an hour or two on a weeknight before I went to bed, and the weekends were spent rushing around and busy busy busy. We've had to slow down, get back to the simple things in life, and we have the opportunity for actual conversation during the day. It has been nice to reconnect and HBF has had an amazing opportunity for bonding with Gomez that he otherwise wouldn't have had.

I got called back to work early, just 6 or so hours a week from home, to assist with restructuring the business. While that has been good for me mentally it has also been really hard to juggle two kids, no sleep, cooking, my twice-weekly health appointments and work. I have felt stretched very thin and am at the end of my tether more often than not.
We’re lucky that our babies are 31 and 35 and don’t live at home. However it’s been hard not seeing them on a weekly basis for a sit down meal at our place (although good for our budget).

You have my respect and admiration for raising two babies during this time (and Booger and Gomez are great names).

It’s great to hear that you and HBF are experiencing a renaissance during this time. Just one question. Are his conversations more expansive than his twitter like contributions on Big Footy.

We’re lucky that our babies are 31 and 35 and don’t live at home. However it’s been hard not seeing them on a weekly basis for a sit down meal at our place (although good for our budget).

You have my respect and admiration for raising two babies during this time (and Booger and Gomez are great names).

It’s great to hear that you and HBF are experiencing a renaissance during this time. Just one question. Are his conversations more expansive than his twitter like contributions on Big Footy.
He actually speaks in complete sentences at home. I’m definitely the big talker though.

It’s great to see that the Government and Services Australia finally admit that Robodebt was illegal (not exact words but that’s what they mean). It’s such a monumental stuff up that it was only admitted during a once in a century crisis. So many vulnerable people were treated with contempt and deserve our heartfelt sorrow at being treated in this way. So many others have got away with daylight robbery and ripped off the nation. They now get away with it because the Government and Services Australia didn’t follow established processes to raise genuine debts. Despite this announcement I’m still annoyed.

It’s great to see that the Government and Services Australia finally admit that Robodebt was illegal (not exact words but that’s what they mean). It’s such a monumental stuff up that it was only admitted during a once in a century crisis. So many vulnerable people were treated with contempt and deserve our heartfelt sorrow at being treated in this way. So many others have got away with daylight robbery and ripped off the nation. They now get away with it because the Government and Services Australia didn’t follow established processes to raise genuine debts. Despite this announcement I’m still annoyed.
Some people suicided over the robodebt debacle, didn’t they?

What if I told you that you're all a little bit right, and then mostly wrong?

8k QLED isn't exactly great due to an issue known as 'contrast modulation'. Basically the resolution has now reached a point where contrast ratios are too poor to deliver the panel's true resolution due to light bleeding through from the backlight which illuminates the LCD panel. OLED doesn't suffer from this problem, but Samsung and LG are both working out the kinks and it should improve a tad.

The problems with motion on all panels (including OLED and plasma) is a combination of three things: refresh rate (how often the panel updates), response times (the speed at which the panel illuminates its pixels), and display persistence (how long it takes for this illumination to cease once the display stops the current pattern or changes it). You can crank up the refresh rate, but without good response time and low persistence, you'll notice issues with ghosting (slow response), overshoot (a response that literally overshoots the target), and the ocular impact of your always-moving eye trying to focus on each frame being shown for longer than it's prepared to sit still.

Plasma and CRT did motion better not just because of insane response times, but because their flicker reduced their persistence, and the two combined for very natural looking motion, but a rather dim panel with limited colour ranges. Both also used enormous amounts of power, and are heavy technologies to produce the kinds of panels and resolutions we've become accustomed to.

LCD has the worst response times and persistence (particularly the VA tech used in the vast-majority of LCD TVs) but this has slowly improved over time, and at the high end they offer well-calibrated backlight strobing to improve this further (at the expense of panel brightness). VA technology is mostly good enough for 120Hz, with its biggest issues being transitions from black to near black (and this produces a dark smearing look on dark content). The very latest in VA technology is very close to overcoming this, but you still have the option of utilising strobing.

OLED is fast enough to push for 500-1000Hz both in response time and persistence, but driving that from a bandwidth, voltage and controller board perspective is still very much the work of on-going research, so it too needs deliver a flickering effect to produce more natural motion perception for the human eye. In this case, because OLED is self-emissive and has no backlight, they simply insert black frames (again, at the expense of perceived brightness) between content refreshes.

You can roughly see the results here (8k QLED vs 4k OLED, respectively):

Stock
q900r-motion-blur-small.jpg
vs
c9-motion-blur-small.jpg

strobing/BFI
q900r-bfi-small.jpg
vs
c9-bfi-small.jpg

Keep in mind the BFI on the LG OLED to this point has been 60Hz based, despite having 120Hz panels for 2 years. This year will see that change to 120Hz BFI, which puts it on par with the competing LCD options.

The older 100Hz and 200Hz+ TVs didn't typically have 100Hz refresh rates, let alone 200Hz: this was a reference to their motion interpolation technology, and what their processors put out when faking frames and modifying the image to try and 'clean' it for the specific panel technology in use. The TV signal was never going above 50-60 fps, and the refresh rate never above 100Hz from a PC source.

You can see the results this tech at 60 fps on both panels:
q900r-soap-opera-effect-small.jpg
vs
c9-soap-opera-effect-small.jpg

The next technologies will likely be QD-OLED and microLED. QD-OLED is Samsung's OLED answer using quantum dots to clean up issues they've had, and it will only be an interim technology, one that probably will have voltage/thermal issues relative to LG's WOLED solution and existing LCD.

microLED is basically the inorganic version of OLED (where the 'O' literally refers to organic), and that should result in the best of LCD tech (high brightness, resulting colour volume, lack of burn-in) combining with the best of OLED (self-emissive benefits of contrast and fidelity), and then extending beyond with incredible response times, low persistence and extremely low energy usage.

The problem right now? They haven't developed a technology to produce this at the scale required to remotely compete with LCD or OLED just yet. So each current microLED offering (which is only Samsung, outside of prototypes), relies on machines picking and placing individual LEDs, millions of times. This is expected to be overcome by 2025.

The next challenge after that? Pushing towards 1000Hz, at which point human vision (most notably peripheral vision after around 200Hz) no longer requires flicker in order to see the image as natural motion. Things may go slightly further than this due to physiological response to the lights themselves (I think it needs to exceed 1300Hz to solve for this?), and this is all expected to happen in the vicinity of 2028-2035.

Why does this matter to you guys? The bigger the TV gets, and the bigger the resolution gets, the more this will become an issue. We've been in a hell hole of screen technology since most people moved over to LCD (and both the planet, and removalists' spines, thank you for this), but with the advent of 8k and later 16k TV, we need to move fast as TVs over 100" diagonals start to become more common place. Driving towards 1000Hz will probably be lead by VR and AR technology, however.

We should start seeing more 120 fps (HFR) content in the next couple of years, and we'll also start to see up to 360Hz TVs in the next few years. With every step up in refresh rate, the brightness impact of utilising strobing/BFI diminishes, but VA LCD will probably be left in the dust at around 200-240 Hz, at best (hence why Samsung is bothering with QD-OLED). The biggest thing now holding this back? Power/thermal requirements and bandwidth.

We won't talk about the bandwidth issue, because that then leads to discussions about video compression, machine learning, and how these interact with the development of hardware bandwidth both in TVs and in consumer internet connections, not to mention frame rate amplification technologies to fake frames better than ever before, because I've already written a ******* dissertation here.

TL;DR version:
OLED > QLED for contrast
4k OLED > 8k QLED for perceived detail currently
120Hz OLED with 120Hz BFI should start returning us to CRT motion (and in some ways, beyond)
QLED > OLED for colour volume

QLED > OLED for brightly coloured content
OLED >>> QLED for dark content

Once 8K is established (2020-2021), frame rates and refresh rates will take precedent for short while over 16K resolution, but the longer road will be to 1-1.3kHz refresh rates in around a decade.
This helps thanks

Now we’ve upset the US.

Surely both “superpowers“ will see how even handed we are when we make policy and sign agreements that annoy them and just leave us alone. We’re clearly doing what’s in our best interest. A concept that they put above all others when they make their decisions.

we and the rest of the world should disconnect from the US if their cops continue using excessive brute force/killing of black people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to judge unless you've been in their shoes...
Of all the things they've lost they no doubt miss their minds the most.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If you are looking for reasons as to why that massive anti mining convention protest in Melbourne was justified here several months ago, look no further than this.

Rio Tinto has always been textbook example of what I consider to be an corrupt capitalistic monolith corporation, that only cares about the pursuit of profits, over far more important issues like the environment or native/indigenous Australian land and their rights etc

Prior to logging in here and noticing your post, I had been thinking similarly; i.e that my praise for DA may have been premature; given later public announcement of Victoria's deal with China. I'm most probably grossly naive, but, I don't get a good feeling about doing that deal with that regime at this time in context of whats happened health-wise of late.

Where do you draw the line though?

Our country deals with China on a daily basis, we have a free trade agreement with them, they are our biggest trading partner And have been for a long time And without them, our economy would be in tatters.

The recent negativity about the belt and road deal is ridiculous and is driven by politicians trying to stoke fear for political gain, 138 countries have signed the same memorandum of understanding of Andrews, at this time, it’s important to note, we haven’t actually committed to building or doing anything.

The Chinese government doesn’t have a good record on a lot of things, we all know this, but we have never not wanted to take their money and it’s no surprise that when an opposing super power (USA) risks losing a foothold in the region due to certain deals and expansion, we start hearing conspiracy theories about 5G and the federal government stars criticising a state for signing an understanding, although the liberal government were more than happy to lease the port of Darwin to a Chinese owned company for 99 years for the tiny sum of $500M

Here’s another monumental * up by the Federal Government. The conservatives have always hated superannuation (except the scheme run for their benefit). This article is about the fraud committed in relation to early access of super. The moronic comments by the junior minister in this article are epic for stupidity.

There will be more articles written about the deleterious effects of this poor policy decision. Robbo was against it as soon as it was announced and the outcomes for people who accessed their super savings will effect them for the rest of their lives. To think that people have accessed this money for gambling and alcohol is mind boggling. The ABS said that some had accessed it so they had savings. FFS!

Let's separate the two acts, that of the police and those rioting

Both disgusting
This is a sorry tale of an “instant replay“ that has been replaying for years. It’s America’s continuing shame which will eventually subside until it rises again. Such a sad situation. No doubt that the pandemic has heightened the outrageous behaviour we are witnessing through the media.

Our country deals with China on a daily basis, we have a free trade agreement with them, they are our biggest trading partner And have been for a long time And without them, our economy would be in tatters.

The recent negativity about the belt and road deal is ridiculous and is driven by politicians trying to stoke fear for political gain, 138 countries have signed the same memorandum of understanding of Andrews, at this time, it’s important to note, we haven’t actually committed to building or doing anything.

The Chinese government doesn’t have a good record on a lot of things, we all know this, but we have never not wanted to take their money and it’s no surprise that when an opposing super power (USA) risks losing a foothold in the region due to certain deals and expansion, we start hearing conspiracy theories about 5G and the federal government stars criticising a state for signing an understanding, although the liberal government were more than happy to lease the port of Darwin to a Chinese owned company for 99 years for the tiny sum of $500M
Adhering overly stringently to ideological consistency can sometimes be counter productive. But, there are conduct thresholds which need to be respected; and when crossed justify making a stand in more ways than merely words. Our ongoing commercial relations with China make it even more important to communicate displeasure when necessary. If this isn't one of those times when it shouldn't be business as usual, then I don't know what would.

Last edited:

No such thing as a free lunch though. There will be strings attached and "obligations" . DA doesnt have the resources to know these things - that is why there are federal agencies that investigate the geopolitical ramifications . Their judgement was that we shouldnt be entering into these agreements and DA went behind their back- that is not acceptable IMO.
Australia has a few big calls to make in the next decade: In many ways we are part of asia, in many ways we are not. Defence is the biggest positive that is associated with being close to the US and europe. China arent asking us to chose YET. What will we do when china take over Taiwan? Will we allow the south china sea to become a chinese military zone. Huge ramifications.

This is a sorry tale of an “instant replay“ that has been replaying for years. It’s America’s continuing shame which will eventually subside until it rises again. Such a sad situation. No doubt that the pandemic has heightened the outrageous behaviour we are witnessing through the media.

What p1sses me off is the constant reference to "white policeman"

Seriously, the media are complicit in this current situation

A life has been lost, when it shouldn't have been, that's the story

They have a very poor reputation of how they treat; black people, asians, Mexicans and countries south of Mexico, and women (backgrounds don't matter, all are equally treated poorly).
Makes you wonder who they actually treat well.

I don’t doubt the influence of provocateurs but the sad thing about the narrative is that’s the fact. When will America learn being black shouldn’t label you as a criminal and subject to this appalling treatment.

They have a very poor reputation of how they treat; black people, asians, Mexicans and countries south of Mexico, and women (backgrounds don't matter, all are equally treated poorly).
Makes you wonder who they actually treat well.
I don’t doubt the influence of provocateurs but the sad thing about the narrative is that’s the fact. When will America learn being black shouldn’t label you as a criminal and subject to this appalling treatment.

Can't disagree with either of you

Wish they would just report the facts, rather than the constant racial tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back