Research Random Footy History article thread (Trove/Google etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Kuka 'played' one game at 16yr, 46 days. Given that he didn't register a stat it looks like he sat on the bench all day. Seems like it was a ruse just to tie him to Fitzroy before he went back to the country, then he didn't play another league game.

No record of him playing a game against Essendon as it suggests in the article.

Andrew Kuka 'played' one game at 16yr, 46 days. Given that he didn't register a stat it looks like he sat on the bench all day. Seems like it was a ruse just to tie him to Fitzroy before he went back to the country, then he didn't play another league game.

No record of him playing a game against Essendon as it suggests in the article.

View attachment 726879
His one and only game at League level was against Essendon in Rd. 10, 1967: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1967/050619670624.html
He doesn't get a mention in The Age match report, but he made it onto the ground *, despite not "troubling the statisticians"!:
* The Football Record (many years later) doesn't agree with this (see end of post)! Perhaps they just assumed that he didn't get onto the field due to his lack of stats!

It seems he returned to Fitzroy in 1969 and played U19's and Reserves that year (from Football Record 1969 Week 1 Finals):
His name appears quite a few times in the best players for the U19's in 1969. Perhaps he headed back home again after that year.

Football Record 1994 Rd. 20:

Football Record 1996 Rd. 20:

Last edited:

Swan districts named a 13yr old (Joe O'Neil) as a reserve in 1967

I'm afraid your source for that piece of information appears to be in error by rather a wide margin !!

Weekly Times  Wed 26 May 1943 I don't believe it.jpg

the "Investigator Replies" column may 1943
people would write in with their queries

what does luftwaffe mean ?
why does my steak glow in the dark ?
what is the world record for sewing hessian bags ?

This guy

Last edited:
Table talk VFL articles 1933 1-6

Last edited:
The rest of the Table Talk - "Round the Training Rooms" articles 1933

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The law on the football field 1911

Last edited:

No, no truth at all as far as I'm aware.

Looks to me as if you have found that in the "3AW Book of Footy Records" or book of similar contents published in 1970s or early 1980s.
Unfortunately, that immediately causes alarm bells to go off for me as I have found such publications to be less than reliable.

Over many years of research, I have never come across any reference in 1858 to
1) a club called Richmond Cricketers or
2) a player named Bruce

Have just checked Trove newspapers and confirmed the same still applies.

Of course, this BF/History bracket of threads has for some years known that the "champion of the colony" award is a hoax.

Last edited:
there was a george bruce but much later:

oh what a pity. Could have revolutionised the handball
A George Bruce was a star player for Richmond (early version) and Hotham in the 1870's. I'm not at all sure whether the George Bruce who ended up with Hotham (played until 1881, it seems) is the same player who was meant to be with the "Richmond Cricketers FC" side way back in 1858. If so, he must have played until he was in his 40's, which seems rather unlikely. I've also never seen mention of this chap having that disability. So who knows?!

A Bruce played for a Richmond side in 1860: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/201377720
1570083251563.png

From The Footballer 1875:
1570084206657.png

The Footballer 1876:
1570084455502.png

G. Bruce joined Hotham from Richmond in 1877 (Origins of Australian Football- Victoria's Early History. Volume 2):
1570090823099.png
The book names the player as George Bruce.

The Footballer 1879:
1570084719292.png
1570084779892.png

This player was Alex Bruce, who lost a hand in an accident, & played with a metal hook from 1858. He is actually named on the Rules Committee (with Tom Wills), in the oldest, surviving 1859 Rules. The early accounts state he "was known to dish out violence with it". He was a Scotsman.
It would be very dangerous being tackled around the neck by Bruce, with his "bad" hand.

This player was Alex Bruce, who lost a hand in an accident, & played with a metal hook from 1858. He is actually named on the Rules Committee (with Tom Wills), in the oldest, surviving 1859 Rules. The early accounts state he "was known to dish out violence with it". He was a Scotsman.
It would be very dangerous being tackled around the neck by Bruce, with his "bad" hand.
Now that makes sense! I tried to find him on Vic BDM before and decided the Geo Alex (George Alexander) Bruce who died at Longwarry in 1911 (born c. 1838) was most likely him. He named one of his sons George Richmond, perhaps due to the football connection!

So this would not have been the same chap who played with Richmond and Hotham a fair few years down the track?

Last edited:
Now that makes sense! I tried to find him on Vic BDM before and decided the Geo Alex (George Alexander) Bruce who died at Longwarry in 1911 (born c. 1838) was most likely him. He named one of his sons George Richmond, perhaps due to the football connection.

So this would not have been the same chap who played with Richmond and Hotham a fair few years down the track?

Not sure the George Alexander Bruce (DOD 30 Nov 1911) is the player. This G.A. Bruce signed his will "Geo A. Bruce."
Would have thought the player might have signed as Alex or at least G Alex rather than Geo A. ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back