Research Random Footy History article thread (Trove/Google etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

This player was Alex Bruce, who lost a hand in an accident, & played with a metal hook from 1858. He is actually named on the Rules Committee (with Tom Wills), in the oldest, surviving 1859 Rules. The early accounts state he "was known to dish out violence with it". He was a Scotsman.
It would be very dangerous being tackled around the neck by Bruce, with his "bad" hand.

You write that "the early accounts state he 'was known to dish out violence with it.' "

Could you please advise which accounts you mean ? I cannot find any reference to such a statement being made during his lifetime.

There's a bit on him here (it calls him Alex M. Bruce, however!): https://australianfootball.com/articles/view/Origins+of+Australian+Football/208

In his reminiscences about the early days of Australian football, the then President of the VFA (Victorian Football Association), T.S. Marshall, writing in 1896, recalled the formidable Richmond player Alex M. Bruce:

"He had one arm, but his one arm was equal to most people’s two backed up as it was by an artificial one with an iron hook at the end of it. He was a good tempered and fine player, but I verily believe he was the cause of more oh’s and ah’s…than a dozen ordinary footballers, for when he pushed from behind, always of course with an iron hook, it meant weeping and wailing, and gnashing of teeth to his unfortunate victim–no matter how his victim took it, Bruce always perceived a calm, unruffled countenance." [1]

One may surmise that if Alex Bruce was available in this year’s draft, he would be just the sort of chap the Richmond football club should recruit to instil a bit of steel (or iron!) into a backline hitherto known for its brittleness.

Last edited:
There's a bit on him here (it calls him Alex M. Bruce, so, if that's correct, no idea where the George came from!!): https://australianfootball.com/articles/view/Origins+of+Australian+Football/208

In his reminiscences about the early days of Australian football, the then President of the VFA (Victorian Football Association), T.S. Marshall, writing in 1896, recalled the formidable Richmond player Alex M. Bruce:

"He had one arm, but his one arm was equal to most people’s two backed up as it was by an artificial one with an iron hook at the end of it. He was a good tempered and fine player, but I verily believe he was the cause of more oh’s and ah’s…than a dozen ordinary footballers, for when he pushed from behind, always of course with an iron hook, it meant weeping and wailing, and gnashing of teeth to his unfortunate victim–no matter how his victim took it, Bruce always perceived a calm, unruffled countenance." [1]

One may surmise that if Alex Bruce was available in this year’s draft, he would be just the sort of chap the Richmond football club should recruit to instil a bit of steel (or iron!) into a backline hitherto known for its brittleness.

Have just come across a Melbourne Cricket Club player A M Bruce playing in matches with, Wills, Thompson and Wray in Oct & Nov 1858

Have just come across a Melbourne Cricket Club player A M Bruce playing in matches with, Wills, Thompson and Wray in Oct & Nov 1858

That's pretty likely to be him! Yet on the Wikipedia page it has:
1570108933898.png
The AFL Season Guide has George Bruce (Richmond CCFC).

Since it appears certain that Alex and George Bruce are two different people, but both were star players with a Richmond team (but a few years apart), it seems very likely that C.C. Mullen plucked out the wrong name (George when it should have been Alex) for his "champion" of 1858!

Since it appears certain that Alex and George Bruce are two different people, but both were star players with a Richmond team (but a few years apart), it seems very likely that C.C. Mullen plucked out the wrong name (George when it should have been Alex) for his "champion" of 1858!

Unfortunately Mullen "plucked out" a few wrong things & published them. Lack of resources at the time no doubt affecting his judgement.
Sadly, in some quarters his word became gospel. It continues to be a devil of a job getting the inaccuracies removed from the public record.

Ambrose Palmer article from the sporting globe 1953

There are a couple of articles in this De lacy SG series
This Jack Dyer one is probably the more interesting:

Last edited:
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1573540242373.png
Moorabbin get rolled into a groundshare deal by the council but at least they get to be part of a VFL club right? Until the VFA expel them, they disband, the Saints forget about them and take the ground without a merger.

View attachment 778125
Moorabbin get rolled into a groundshare deal by the council but at least they get to be part of a VFL club right? Until the VFA expel them, they disband, the Saints forget about them and take the ground without a merger.
Interesting
I'm sure when I was a kid, there was a VFA Moorabin team in second division of VFA.
Sounds like Saints were just going to take over Moorabin to get access to ground there and had no care or real interest in Moorabin name in real terms.
I did not realise they Moorabin I saw on VFA ladder was not the original Moorabin Football Club. Learn something new everyday.

To think as a kid I had a soft spot for St.Kilda in the VFL but over time I learn to consider them a scummy club and soft spot for them went long ago and saw the true colours of characters like Thomas and Butters were really what the club was made of.

Don't take much notice of other clubs, but saw something in an old Inside Football yesterday (07/05/1981 if you're trawling your collection) that blew my mind. Is this legit, or like 75% of the anecdotes in any pre-internet footy autobiography a lie for dramatic effect?

In 1961 Yarraville made the VFA Grand Final but their coach was called overseas on business that week, so instead of an in-house replacement they got Ted Whitten to do the job a week after the Dogs were knocked out of the VFL finals. Because of a rule banning VFL coaches from entering VFA grounds he did it from over the fence and they won the flag.

according to fiddian (in Where Eagles flew) ...
keith drinan the coach had to go to south africa on business

Allan Phillips the chairman of selectors was the GF coach...Ted Whitten helped out
Don Whitten was half forward for yarraville

Keith Drinan was a chemical engineer at one time worked for CSIRO
must be the first player ever to have been "recruited" after being spotted playing in Darwin

Yarraville's coach from 1958-1961

Allan Phillips had been Yarraville's full forward in the early 50s
was on the Footscray list in the late 40s

Last edited:
Another anecdote bites the dust! There's one that's in both Crackers Keenan and Stan Alves' autobiographies about John Beckwith at the Junction Oval that I bet they never thought would be fact-checked by people checking the scores of games at the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back