AFL Club
Carlton
Re: Brown is staying.

Anyone who thought he was leaving clearly was kidding themselves

Brown was never going to leave

Fevola was never going to leave

Kerr is never going to leave

I think since we got Judd some Blues fans think we wil get whoever we want

They forget about salary caps and wrecking the fabric of a club by trading young players

Chasing the Dream

I'm Matthew Campbell from Sportsbet
Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - Ryan Harwood 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Daniel Merrett 2008 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Simon Black 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Jets, Padres, USC, Utah Jazz

Anyone who thought he was leaving clearly was kidding themselves

Brown was never going to leave

Fevola was never going to leave

Kerr is never going to leave

I think since we got Judd some Blues fans think we wil get whoever we want

They forget about salary caps and wrecking the fabric of a club by trading young players

Please can someone complete a sanity check on this poster, he clearly shows the signs of a long season. What he said makes complete sense:D

Next we will have Geelong supporters coming onto the Brisbane Board telling us that they are on the right track, but have a fair way to go before they win three in a row:D

lions_den

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 15, 2007
East Horsham
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Orlando Magic

Please can someone complete a sanity check on this poster, he clearly shows the signs of a long season. What he said makes complete sense:D

Next we will have Geelong supporters coming onto the Brisbane Board telling us that they are on the right track, but have a fair way to go before they win three in a row:D
Plus 4 grand finals in a row;) They have just the 1 at the moment:)

kevind

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2008
Mt Waverley
AFL Club
Collingwood

That's been the thinking since the 70's. All I see now is the wrecking ball poised over the ground and a massive elephant of a stand .. talk about hubris. It's a post modern VFL Park.

Interesting that the great elephant of a stand was originally named after a great elephant.

Any way guys, great news that J Brown will stay with the Lions. It's the best result for all concerned. Of course we would love to have him, he's a superstar. But he is a superstar Lion and it will be great to see him play out his career with the one club.

Feb 19, 2008
Rock Bottom
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

For a club that has won more premierships than any other... there seems to be a strange element of spite and malice rather than pride. I suspect it lies in the fact that despite their success, there is an insecurity in not being as big, or as hated as Collingwood. Thus the emergence of "we're Carlton, **** the rest!". A statement that reeks of trying to establish their own cultural identity, but has now become intertwined with the stunning indifference towards salary cap cheating, tanking and an established tradition of shady and corrupt presidents.

GOTDAMN! what a quote.

love ya work :p:p

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

Any way guys, great news that J Brown will stay with the Lions. It's the best result for all concerned. Of course we would love to have him, he's a superstar. But he is a superstar Lion and it will be great to see him play out his career with the one club.

See..... there are some Colllingwood supporters out there that can think rationally.

Yeah, I am trying to avoid disparaging the entire group because there are some quality posters there who have been more restrained and respectful through all the speculation.

I'm also not trying not to claim any moral superiority, because I can be fairly provocative at times. I do however draw the line at baiting supporters of a club who are facing the possibility of losing a player who pretty much defines the club and its culture. Some posters there have been pretty cocky, arrogant and taken great delight in the stress and uncertainly that we've endured. There seems to be a strange offshoot of their club culture that puts much more precedent focuses more on the suffering and poor-will they can inflict on other clubs, rather than celebrating their own achievements.

"For a club that has won more premierships than any other"

... there seems to be a strange element of spite and malice rather than pride. I suspect it lies in the fact that despite their success, there is an insecurity in not being as big, or as hated as Collingwood. Thus the emergence of "we're Carlton, **** the rest!". A statement that reeks of trying to establish their own cultural identity, but has now become intertwined with the stunning indifference towards salary cap cheating, tanking and an established tradition of shady and corrupt presidents.

But bringing it back to the Browny thing. If Browny re-signs, some of those Carlton folk are going to come out of it looking like knobs, and deserve the humiliation that will surely come their way.

If i could just make 1 small correction Carltank 16....Essendon 16......aside from that the rest is on the money!!

Tim the Toolman

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Beaconsfield Super Rules

An interesting correlation was reported on SEN this morning: I think at about Round 15 it must have been, we were 9-6 and that was when the contract negotiations started in earnest - we have managed 5 losses for the solitary win since then.

Is there an actual correlation?

Oct 28, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Pittsburgh(NHL&NFL), FCB

An interesting correlation was reported on SEN this morning: I think at about Round 15 it must have been, we were 9-6 and that was when the contract negotiations started in earnest - we have managed 5 losses for the solitary win since then.

Is there an actual correlation?

I've often wondered if there is link between a well known contract negotiation and on field form. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a factor in Melbourne because it's all over the papers (eg. Fevola) but how much of the Brown saga filters through to Brisbane and how much of that is picked up by the players?

PS. Tim, what the hell are Shermo, Jed and Ash holding in your avatar:confused:

Chasing the Dream

I'm Matthew Campbell from Sportsbet
Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - Ryan Harwood 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Daniel Merrett 2008 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Simon Black 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Jets, Padres, USC, Utah Jazz

PS. Tim, what the hell are Shermo, Jed and Ash holding in your avatar:confused:

Finally, the question I was too afraid to ask.:D

Just saw the 9 news about Browny and looking like an announcement will be made next week (according to Heather, speculation he will announce a 4 year deal)

Of course under the Mike Sheahan school, the fact that he has waited for the season to finish means he is leaving.

A new one I have heard tonight suggests David Parkin claimed on Fox tonight "Jonathon Brown will not be at Brisbane next year."

Did anyone else see this supposed comment from Parkin?

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
A new one I have heard tonight suggests David Parkin claimed on Fox tonight "Jonathon Brown will not be at Brisbane next year."

Did anyone else see this supposed comment from Parkin?

Parkin can't remember players' names half the time, so lets hope this was just another senile comment.

These rumors are like a virus now....Kerr, Brown, Cousins....
Hutchy is going off on yet another mad speculation fest on TFS..at least he did not mention Brown.
It is almost like every footy journo has to have a "scoop" every time they put their head out.

At this moment I seem pretty confident that he will re-sign, although this post will most likely be brought up again if he doesn't.

My most recent reasons are that seeing as Brown has Sydney based management and we are in Sydney this week the meeting on Sunday may have been on the cards for a number of weeks. Maybe even a month, so the "delay" is not necessarily a delay. Also, last night Hutchy didn't mention Brown's contract scenario at all. Could you imagining being "#1 in the business" and not being able to predict the biggest story of the year less than 5 days away from the announcement? Or at least have a guess?

Jesse Custer

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 28, 2008
Melwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Yet on the carltank board they are claiming him already thanks to an announcement on Gold FM today.

What the hell is going on?

If carlton get him, i have had enough of this bloody crap of a system

Loramarthalas

All Australian
Jul 11, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton wont get him. There's no way he'll fit inside our salary cap. He'd want a big pay rise to come south. There's just no way we could afford him. Besides, we could only offer pick 6 to Brisbane and maybe Andrew Walker. That's not enough to get the deal done. Browny would be a low priority for the Blues purely because of the cost involved.

Back