Random NON FOOTY thoughts not worthy of a thread: Edition II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But who gives a rats what they think. It has nothing to do with footy and should be kept separate. People have a right to vote yes or no without these organisations sticking their noses in all the time. Not all players or people around the club would be for it so why does the club speak as it everyone does. Its a joke, seriously

We of all clubs present ourselves and pride ourselves as a community club and that is inclusive of all minority groups. Did you really think North wouldn't support gay marriage?

You can vote how you like, that's your prerogative but the club is just living to its image. It would be hypocritical not to support it.

You could have joined the existing discussion to share your views.

No one is telling anyone what to think or how to vote in the survey. But individuals and organisations are free to say what values they stand for. NMFC, some other clubs, the AFL, and most sporting codes, many religious organisations, and individuals from Cathy Freeman to Andy Maher as well as many non-celebrities want to say that gay Australians should have the same right to marry as straight Australians and gay New Zealanders/Americans/Scots/Norwegians etc.

You do not have to agree. If you and your mate are so adamant gay australians should not have that equal right, and so angry to be disagreed with, you can look for a club that shares your values. Good luck with that.
I'm not saying whether it is right or wrong. I am saying we don't need football clubs shoving it down our throats.

I have never heard the expression "shoving it down our throats" so often in my long life. What is with that?

When a minority is seeking equality they don't have, not taking sides is taking a side - against them and in favour of the status quo. I am proud and not at all surprised North made the choice they did.

No one is telling anyone what to think or how to vote in the survey. But individuals and organisations are free to say what values they stand for. NMFC, some other clubs, the AFL, and most sporting codes, many religious organisations, and individuals from Cathy Freeman to Andy Maher as well as many non-celebrities want to say that gay Australians should have the same right to marry as straight Australians and gay New Zealanders/Americans/Scots/Norwegians etc.

You do not have to agree. If you and your mate are so adamant gay australians should not have that equal right, and so angry to be disagreed with, you can look for a club that shares your values. Good luck with that.
Where / which thread is this existing discussion you refer to?

You can argue this is "lefty bullying" to vote yes but you probably should tell the right wingers that they shouldn't have made it everybody's business in the first place. The LGBT community have every right to make this choice for themselves and who are we to make that decision for them.

Piss off then.

Proud of NMFC and what we stand for.

Funny that you're not up in arms about us not having pokies.

Who's business is it for NMFC to tell us not to gamble?

:rolleyes:
I am strongly in favour of voting yes to same sex marriage. When you encounter those with the opposing view, I think you need to respond in a way which will hopefully lead to the outcome you seek. Responses such as yours are unlikely to lead to that outcome. Please reflect on that.

Latest mail to Nth Melb members really angers me telling us that the club is Yes for same sex marriage. What right does any organisation have to tell us what we should think and force this upon us. For what it is worth, everyone of us has a right to vote yes or no. We don't need the AFL or Nth Melb telling us how we should vote. We follow footy to avoid this crap. As a result, a mate is not renewing his membership and I feel the same way. I have gay friends so I am not homophobic but this is totally wrong. I am disgusted at the club. They should stick to winning games something they have not done too well of as late. All this leftie bullying has turned so many people off voting yes. I wont be surprised now if the NO vote wins. If you think this post is too political for this site then think again. It is our club and the stupid AFL that have brought it up

Oh you're having a laugh. Get over it. It's 2017 and frankly A) it's embarrassing that its taken this long and B) it shouldn't have even been put to a vote and C) the club is just stating how they feel, not how you should vote.

I wonder how many of these plastic supporters would cancel their memberships if we just won the flag.

Ffs. We have tv shows that marry people that have just met and we're spending $120,000,000 to vote on whether 2 people who love each other should be allowed to marry? What an absolute wank.

Last edited:
Latest mail to Nth Melb members really angers me telling us that the club is Yes for same sex marriage. What right does any organisation have to tell us what we should think and force this upon us. For what it is worth, everyone of us has a right to vote yes or no. We don't need the AFL or Nth Melb telling us how we should vote. We follow footy to avoid this crap. As a result, a mate is not renewing his membership and I feel the same way. I have gay friends so I am not homophobic but this is totally wrong. I am disgusted at the club. They should stick to winning games something they have not done too well of as late. All this leftie bullying has turned so many people off voting yes. I wont be surprised now if the NO vote wins. If you think this post is too political for this site then think again. It is our club and the stupid AFL that have brought it up
The NMFC is a social responsible club.
Footy clubs have always backed moral agendas. This is nothing new. E.g. Our stance on pokies. Aboriginal rights etc.
The club is not telling you how to vote. It's stating that "they" as a club are united behind the yes vote.
The club has a right to back what it believes as much as you have the right to rip up your membership and go play lawn bowls instead!!

I read the OP and thought of simply replying: #%$@ OFF!

But I'm glad you took the effort to try and direct the conversation towards some form of rational thought!

But who gives a rats what they think. It has nothing to do with footy and should be kept separate. People have a right to vote yes or no without these organisations sticking their noses in all the time. Not all players or people around the club would be for it so why does the club speak as it everyone does. Its a joke, seriously

I have a right to read big footy without you politicising the forum as well.

The club is just supporting its LGB community - don't over think it....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steady down. All the club is saying is that they support a yes vote. They haven't told you or anyone else how to vote.

Methinks you protest too much.

Another agenda perhaps?

Must say I agree, and indeed the AFL is somewhat hypocritical in this regard. If the AFL was so liberal an organisation and supportive of gay rights why hasn't a single AFL player in the history of the organisation come out ? Sure that is their own business and they are entitled to their privacy but it has happened in other sports and organisations but not the afl.

Meh. Meh meh meh meh mehmehmehmehmeh.
I'll be honest, speaking much more widely than our community here, I'm seeing people/groups on both 'sides' of the issue making arses of themselves. Even some who try to straddle the line come across badly.

I'll be voting yes, because if it were to pass it would become easier for my New Zealand born and residing boyfriend to immigrate and become a citizen here if that's the path we go down. Even if we got married in New Zealand, for immigration purposes we would still only be considered on par with a de-facto couple here.

I'm worried that a lot of the fence sitters are being pushed away. I don't particularly agree with any of the arguments against it, especially from a practical 'this is the world we live in, as opposed to the dream world you want us to live in' viewpoint, but I'd like to think I can at least understand some of the arguments put forth. Sure, there are some which are fairly dodgy and clearly come from a place of ignorance or bad character, but certainly not all of them.

Rightly or wrongly I think the fence sitters will judge the 'yes' side more harshly for their indiscretions. As someone who is gay and would be voting 'yes' regardless of the public discourse I'm certainly disheartened by some of the vitriol and tactics coming from the 'yes' camp. In the past I've usually associated that kind of sentiment to more conservative/traditional/religious segments of the populace, but the last couple of years I feel like something has changed in that regard. I'm not sure if that something is me, or whether it is what could loosely be called 'the left'. Or more likely both.

I'm not sure what the point of me saying any of this is, and am not sure if I'll respond to any replies this might get. I'm just... worried. That the people I have spent most of my life considering as being more tolerant and compassionate than 'the others' have changed their rhetoric and approach. Worried that other people who don't have a personal stake in this vote will feel the same, and either be dissuaded from voting or even worse persuaded into voting 'no' as some kind of silent push back.

Great post. I think both sides have had appalling acts committed by the few but we are definitely seeing seemingly moderately minded people resorting to the use of bigot, homophobia, leftie, misrepresentations and crappy "scientific" studies. And it is usually on the "yes" side because people like me who will vote "no" don't have the popular media or vocal social sentiment. If it was the other way around and the media were behind the no, I am sure the "no" would act the same.

I may vote no because that is where my convictions lie but I wouldn't say no to having a beer with you and your boyfriend at the first home game at Etihad (because we ain't getting a game at the G with this crap season) because if we allow our differences to define who we speak to and have relationships with, no one would speak to a single soul for their entire life.

I do have a question though, a bit off the topic of the debate, my understanding was that SS couples were treated as De Factos as you said, but I thought that was considered to be a valid relationship here, covered by similar laws to marriage. Is that right? I know in the US you have to be "married" (not sure if that includes SS) to get the working partner visa but didn't think that was the same here. I know many of the financial elements are the same, just haven't thought about the immigration side as I have never really looked into it for any purpose, other than keeping Dusty's dad out of the country!

Carlton have come out and basically said we can't tell everyone how to vote and left it at that.
And some of their supporters aren't happy either!

You cant win no matter what,people will find a reason to complain. At the end of the day North and Carlton supporters can vote whatever they want nothing is being forced down your throat.

Must say I agree, and indeed the AFL is somewhat hypocritical in this regard. If the AFL was so liberal an organisation and supportive of gay rights why hasn't a single AFL player in the history of the organisation come out ? Sure that is their own business and they are entitled to their privacy but it has happened in other sports and organisations but not the afl.

Maybe because of attitudes like the one expressed by the OP.

If you don't give a rats what they think... why are you so upset?

Don't think the club is telling anyone how to vote, it is just expressing an opinion on what values it upholds. I appreciate that the club I follow has a social conscience, whether it be support for the Yes vote or its work with the Huddle.

Do the TV ads you see from Christian groups advocating the No vote make you want vote Yes because they are forcing their opinion on you?

You say you have gay friends so you're not homophobic, weĺl how about thinking how this vote impacts them personally rather than getting all worked up by a sign of goodwill by our club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back