Random NON FOOTY thoughts not worthy of a thread: Edition II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The riot squad were being deployed at events that obviously required them this summer.

Yeah, these drunk dickheads should have been dispersed.

"Where else are the kids going to go but the streets?"

They can go ******* home where they belong, or go celebrate somewhere that doesn't shut down at 11pm. Why are these dickheads going to a glorified retirement village to have schoolies?

No its the same hysterical ad on every ad break during the cricket, breathless newsreaders faking shock and panic and all the rest that has done that. Watching the cricket back at home in NSW its funny how little bullshit panic there is. Remember when gangs of Vietnamese yoof were attacking people with machetes all over Melbourne? Even in the city? There was nowhere near the saturation coverage of that nastiness that there is of this stuff and its nowhere near the same scale. I was at some of the places quoted in the news the following day and didn't see anything on more than one occasion over December in Melbourne.

I don't know why people watch FTA commercial news, it is trash. The sad reality is they are giving people what they want to see.

Nothing like the riots that used to occur at the Myer Music Bowl years ago when I was a kid, or the ones on the peninsula a month ago.

Or the huge brawls between Vietnamese, skinheads and ... well everyone else 25 - 30 years ago. Like in that movie Romper Stomper. That whole section between Highpoint and Footscray seems pretty gentrified now but it was full on decades ago.

It is probably a good thing, but the police should just disperse mobs without fanfare or without going nuts with beating them down or arresting kids. However, if they assault people or do a lot of damage they need to be punished.

This is exactly what that report from nearly a decade ago says. The one I posted in response to your last comment

Yeah, it makes sense..

It doesn't work that way. Most cops are *******s when they are in public. They think they have to escalate and then control every situation and violence is usually their first option. Watch how they behave. Even in Victoria, where they are a lot better than they used to be (for example, people no longer circulate posters with police officers faces, names and postings mentioning how they torture people and who to contact if you become a victim like used to happen in the 80s and 90s,) young inexperienced cops end up in public with groups of young men (15 - 20, of all racial backgrounds) and think they are in a dick swinging contest.

The railway cops are the worst, and I don't think they are even proper police officers. This is most people's first interaction with police and usually happens when they are young and out having fun. Its a free country, most of the time no one's causing any trouble and these railway cops need to go around showing their authority to people who aren't misbehaving, instead of sitting quietly in the background minding their own business till they are needed. I see it on trains all the time down there.

I dunno, I've never seen police behave rude or inappropriately. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I guess a lot depends on where people live I guess and how the police are treated themselves. it wouldn't take much to turn a policeman into a campaigner if they are on the receiving end of constant abuse.

I don't think railway cops are real policemen, they are just glorified security guards with a bit of extra authority on public transport. It wouldn't be a surprise if many of them forget they are not bouncers at a night club.

Once upon a time it was the Irish or Crutchies, then after ww2 it was Mediterranean/Southern Europeans, then Lebs and Turks, (while no one batted an eyelid about Sharpies running amok) then Vietneamese, Lebs and Turks again (and other araby types) and now Sudanese kids. Its no different now to any time in the past, just the young trouble makers are more visibly different being tall, skinny and black usually. And yeah most will grow up, get normal lives and raise kids who do similar things. A small number will turn into s**t adults and go to prison for committing crimes.

Unless the mad media beat up continues and they all form terrorist cells.

Exactly. The major difference is exposure, the s**t that went on wasn't often reported because there was no footage, now there are cameras everywhere.

I am not saying it is any worse than it was with previous migrant groups, but Victoria back then was well known as a Police state and it was heavy handed when things spilled out to the public because public = bad press and bad press means the government is on the police's arse so s**t rolled down hill.

The police are a lot softer than they used to be and s**t that would have been put down a long time ago has been allowed to fester and if you can get away with s**t then it just encourages kids to escalate. It is kids being kids, but you don't allow kids to run the joint, because they are morons. We were morons when we were the same age and did stupid s**t too.

Adults make adult decisions but we have dickheads now in politics afraid to make decisions because of how it looks.

No one said jack about bringing back gun ownership when other gangs ran amok. If we just let "conservative" elements talk fact free s**t in public discussions then of course they'll get what they want. Ever hear of the "Carbon Tax"?

It was a lot easier to have confidence in the police force keeping you safe when they have a policy to intervene instead of watch the video and issue fines afterwards, someone copping a fine for cracking your head open with a pipe I would imagine isn't going to make you feel safe.

if the Police aren't going to insert themselves between the general public and those that are prepared to cause violence on a large scale then they are impotent as a protection force.

Taking the piss. My favourite(aka despised) thing these grimy campaigners did was force the dairy farmers to sell their milk so cheap they could sell it $1 per litre. Now because of the drought crisis they’re trying to play the good guys by charging a bit extra for ‘drought relief’ milk.

I prefer my crooks being honest crooks.
/rant

Nobody gets into dairy farming to supply milk to Coles and Woolworths, they are prepared to purchase a large volume of cheap milk because they can sell it over a short period of time. While it is desirable to sell your milk directly to a producer of a premium dairy product directly, like various cheese or yogurt producers, the bulk cheap milk business allows dairy farmers to turn over large volumes of milk which is beyond the normal demand of consumers.

Supply and demand determines price. At present we have WAY too much supply. Coles and Woolworths can't sell massive quantities of milk at significantly higher prices. If milk was a lot more expensive then people would purchase far less milk than they do now.

it is important to understand price elasticity, how altering the price can cause change to demand, changes to how consumers use the product.

The vast majority of raw milk sold to processors are from very large corporate dairy farms, some of which are foreign owned and don't give a stuff about small Aussie dairy farmers. Half of Australia's milk brands are foreign owned, they don't give a stuff about small Aussie dairy farmers. It is these massive farms that have set the prices because they don't want to cut back quantity, the more farmers they send to the wall, the greater their market share becomes. They can get by making very little per cow because they have massive numbers of cows. Small dairy farmers can't compete on economies of scale.

The ACCC has already investigated the milk pricing scenario and said there is nothing they can do about it because the problem lies between the farmer and the processors, not with the supermarket chains. Supermarkets sell a wide variety of milk at various price points, they know what quantity is purchased at what price points.

It is crazy that people buy bottled spring water for the prices they do, however, water has the shelf-life of forever, milk has what, 2 weeks? Small volumes of overpriced tap water can sit on the shelves for months being unsold, I am sure the over-inflated price factors the longer shelf cost of the product. This type of product takes advantage of a very specific type of consumer, you can't just double the cost of milk and think it will still sell the same volume.

Nobody gets into dairy farming to supply milk to Coles and Woolworths, they are prepared to purchase a large volume of cheap milk because they can sell it over a short period of time. While it is desirable to sell your milk directly to a producer of a premium dairy product directly, like various cheese or yogurt producers, the bulk cheap milk business allows dairy farmers to turn over large volumes of milk which is beyond the normal demand of consumers.

Supply and demand determines price. At present we have WAY too much supply. Coles and Woolworths can't sell massive quantities of milk at significantly higher prices. If milk was a lot more expensive then people would purchase far less milk than they do now.

it is important to understand price elasticity, how altering the price can cause change to demand, changes to how consumers use the product.

The vast majority of raw milk sold to processors are from very large corporate dairy farms, some of which are foreign owned and don't give a stuff about small Aussie dairy farmers. Half of Australia's milk brands are foreign owned, they don't give a stuff about small Aussie dairy farmers. It is these massive farms that have set the prices because they don't want to cut back quantity, the more farmers they send to the wall, the greater their market share becomes. They can get by making very little per cow because they have massive numbers of cows. Small dairy farmers can't compete on economies of scale.

The ACCC has already investigated the milk pricing scenario and said there is nothing they can do about it because the problem lies between the farmer and the processors, not with the supermarket chains. Supermarkets sell a wide variety of milk at various price points, they know what quantity is purchased at what price points.

It is crazy that people buy bottled spring water for the prices they do, however, water has the shelf-life of forever, milk has what, 2 weeks? Small volumes of overpriced tap water can sit on the shelves for months being unsold, I am sure the over-inflated price factors the longer shelf cost of the product. This type of product takes advantage of a very specific type of consumer, you can't just double the cost of milk and think it will still sell the same volume.

Cheers Tas. Learned a bit from that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha. All good. Lucky I’m not a big punter

That bloke would probably kiss Bens arse for a 5 minute break interview. He’d probably blow him to get him to the Raptors
Blake Murphy is one of the two Raptors beat writers for The Athletic. He’s not just a random Raps fan. He’s sometimes a bit loose on Twitter which is fine. Knows what he’s talking about.

Obviously Simmons would make almost any team better. But in the context of just this year, assuming Lowry is healthy I’m not sure Toronto would get better overall trading for him considering what you’d have to give up. Like, they’d want something like Siakam and steak knives, which would hurt their 4-5 depth pretty severely.

Blake Murphy is one of the two Raptors beat writers for The Athletic. He’s not just a random Raps fan. He’s sometimes a bit loose on Twitter which is fine. Knows what he’s talking about.

Obviously Simmons would make almost any team better. But in the context of just this year, assuming Lowry is healthy I’m not sure Toronto would get better overall trading for him considering what you’d have to give up. Like, they’d want something like Siakam and steak knives, which would hurt their 4-5 depth pretty severely.

Isn’t Lowry like 32 years old? Bens in his second year (ok third if you want to include a year he didn’t play). Can you imagine what sort of s**t our man Ben will be doing before he hits 30? He’ll start taking shots pretty soon, s**t even if he doesn’t he’s indefensible when he drives the lane.
Ike I said, old mate Raptors journo would be scrambling if he gets the opportunity to interview him. I just hope Bens writing down names of the campaigners that’s dissed him and doesn’t bother with them in the future

Isn’t Lowry like 32 years old? Bens in his second year (ok third if you want to include a year he didn’t play). Can you imagine what sort of s**t our man Ben will be doing before he hits 30? He’ll start taking shots pretty soon, s**t even if he doesn’t he’s indefensible when he drives the lane.
Ike I said, old mate Raptors journo would be scrambling if he gets the opportunity to interview him. I just hope Bens writing down names of the campaigners that’s dissed him and doesn’t bother with them in the future
Right. Hence, “in the context of just this year”. This year the Raps have Kawhi, and much as I like to think the org is doing everything they can to make him consider staying, odds are he moves on. So it’s a swing-for-the-fences year and I don’t reckon you could do a short term deal for Simmons that would make sense.

Ben is a good player. His outside shooting is not what you want from a point guard. A guy made a harmless, true, and somewhat original joke about it.

(I love Lowry btw. The Ben Cunnington of the NBA. Chronically underrated, slightly undersized, tough as old boots, great creative hands, grumpy around the media).

Right. Hence, “in the context of just this year”. This year the Raps have Kawhi, and much as I like to think the org is doing everything they can to make him consider staying, odds are he moves on. So it’s a swing-for-the-fences year and I don’t reckon you could do a short term deal for Simmons that would make sense.

Ben is a good player. His outside shooting is not what you want from a point guard. A guy made a harmless, true, and somewhat original joke about it.

(I love Lowry btw. The Ben Cunnington of the NBA. Chronically underrated, slightly undersized, tough as old boots, great creative hands, grumpy around the media).

I guess I’m just getting bored with the commentary on Bens shooting, or non shooting. He can shoot. He doesn’t take any outside shots for some reason (unless you include his half court hail Mary buzzer attempts), once he brings it into his game he’ll be in the top 5 players in league.

It’s like people see a kid crushing it, getting triple doubles for fun and need to find something negative. They bag Westbrook ffs.

And besides, nobody talks s**t about my Ben:mad:

The new site...

Where have the page numbers gone on the Mobile site?

Will I get the Tapatalk App at the top of the page every time I log in?

Are others seeing these problems?

It's ******* putrid.

I guess I’m just getting bored with the commentary on Bens shooting, or non shooting. He can shoot. He doesn’t take any outside shots for some reason (unless you include his half court hail Mary buzzer attempts), once he brings it into his game he’ll be in the top 5 players in league.

It’s like people see a kid crushing it, getting triple doubles for fun and need to find something negative. They bag Westbrook ffs.

And besides, nobody talks s**t about my Ben:mad:
I don't have anything to add but it would be less confusing to continue talking sports this way.

Sometimes I annoy myself with how many games I play. I'm still going through the NFL games from the weekend, and then there are NBA games practically everyday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back