Random NON FOOTY thoughts not worthy of a thread: Edition II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Covered that in the post you quoted. Doesn't change the content of the video though.

Indeed because the right-leaning media and comentariat has never done that before. Never lied, never whipped up conspiracy theories, never misrepresented black victims of violence, denying youth to black kids while using it as an excuse for white kids etc, etc, etc. The hypocrisy is on all the sides, not to mention the hypocrisy that I pointed out earlier about the keeping politics out of school when it's something that they disagree with, yet not a word that members of an all-boys school engaging in a political march with the intention of denying women control of their own bodies. But it's strange that people like you, K4E (and this isn't a personal dig, because I think we actually get along quite well on here and I like you) very rarely mention this hypocrisy, only when there's an opportunity to have a dig at the amorphous 'Left.'

It's also worth pointing out that many people withdrew their comments and apologised when the entire sequence of events was revealed. Now they shouldn't have been so quick to comment in the first place of course, but that's the nature of the beast in the digital age, but it's important they did withdraw. That's something you will almost never, ever see on the conservative side of politics or media.
That is why I mentioned: the media knows it as both sides have fed off it. For some on the right the kids are heroes, for some on the left, the kids are racist demons.

I mention hypocrisy plenty, you can look at half of my posts in the gender thread and the Politics board for me calling out the right, particularly in regards to identity politics. My problem has consistently been the media and whipping people up into a state of frenzy over nonsensical garbage. As for the abortion stuff, labeling as an attempt to control females via pro-life is feminist rhetoric; pro-life is in the business of saving lives, the debate, at its core is what constitutes life.

Now they shouldn't have been so quick to comment in the first place of course, but that's the nature of the beast in the digital age, but it's important they did withdraw. That's something you will almost never, ever see on the conservative side of politics or media.

That is anecdotal and pure subjective bias. I can say the same thing about conservatives and you'll have no way to prove or disprove it otherwise, unless you want to meta-analysis years worth of tweets and media analysis and even then, you would probably be wrong on that front. There is a reason that studies continually show that those on the left generally base their politics on feelings and a strong sense of empathy, while the right are more based on seemingly cold rationality. Both sides fly off the handle, but the emotional side would logically do it more for obvious reasons. In the end, the collective points scoring over who is worse is ultimately pointless and only furthers the cause of those that use the media for their own purposes.

I have not watched, read about or educated myself on any of the above topic.

I simply came here to post this random, non-footy thought not worthy of a thread.

tenor.gif
You wuss...

Last edited:

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's really simple. As K4E said - people just need to chill until all the evidence is available. Doxxing and death threats to a 16 year old from adults is not okay, now or ever. It should be a valuable lesson to all but sadly it won't be.

It's just turned into another Left vs. Right thing and the stow goes on. Only this time when the facts were presented some ran, some apologised, and some stand their ground and shout "but but what about when the right does it?". Then call that out too when it happens. No lying, no clickbait, no threats. Just be better.
LOL come one GG. You're doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing, just from the opposite POV. You're looking for anything that paints them as innocent kids, and ignoring everything to the contrary to feed your own confirmation bias.

Also, this is the video. It certainly looks like they're heckling the girls to me, who got their phone out to film in response. It's laughable too that you say that because she tagged Ariana Grande in a previous tweet, it means that she's 'thirsty' and looking for likes, especially considering that this was done before Covington even hit the news. LOL it was done in the context of a meme and is no different to any young person, who all do it. Again, dat confirmation bias. At least don't engage in hypocrisy, mate. I also haven't seen any hard evidence that she's racist herself, but I mean that's not to say it's not true, and if so, it's obviously abhorrent. EDIT: Just saw screenshots of her previous tweets from 6 years ago. It looks like they're being posted by bots and there are some suggestion they've been shopped to discredit her, but on face value they're awful. Still doesn't change what's actually in the video though.

You're the one that goes on about evidence, but then suggest, "Well, who knows what was said beforehand." Surely you can see your own contradiction and confirmation bias there?

No I'm not. I'm using what we know and what I've seen with my own eyes. Not a second hand account from a thirsty girl that has said something actually racist (the boy has not). Zero cred there. I've seen the 2 hour video and the different angles that have been posted. Have you? because you seem to be doing what everyone did before the actual footage came out. Most have retracted their error in judgement but still some are clinging to whatever they can to validate their hate.
I'm still yet to see the racism from the boys. Please show it...

There were 600k people at the march. How do we even know they are the same kids from the later incident? We don't. We have a 2 hour video vs. an 8 second one that shows kids shouting after an interaction took place.
I’m only commenting based on the film clip that you posted Groin. Phillips’ history or non-history in Vietnam is not germane to the comment I’m making on 19 minutes of cell phone video that you put up.

Phillips was walking slowly amongst a throng of various protesters, drumming, not making eye contact with anyone. The Catholic school kid walked right up to him and stood squarely in front of him, well within his personal space, actively blocking him, and staring at him. In a situation like that, his smiling was very out of place, and came off as confrontational and arrogant. The body language here was obvious, and If he’d pulled that move with another white male he’d probably have gotten punched in the face.

Sure the lunatic black guy spewing hate throughout most of it deserves criticism. But no one listens to people who rave like that. Some people were even laughing at him. The media isn’t going to pay any attention to people that aren’t worth taking seriously, and rightly so. That guy is just one looney standing on a corner yelling at the world. He’s not the future of the country, nor is he in any position of power, especially not since he is also black. But the privileged white Catholic school kids are, and they know it. They are the future of America as it stands, and this is where the difference lies, and this is why it should rightly have gotten the media attention that it did. And sadly, under Trump, white privilege is only being more emboldened. THIS is what matters, and this is the real issue, not whether or not Phillips fought in Vietnam.
Correct. That's only from the 19 minute footage. There has been longer and different angles shown. Including another ingidenous member shouting "go back to europe where you came from" at a kid. Sandman turns and tells his friend to cut it out (with a hand to the neck gesture) - He actively tried to stop tensions from escalating which should be commended except it isn't.

Proof Phillips walks to sandman:

As Sandman stated: "Phillips had every right to come over and stand there, just like I had every right to stand and hold my ground too"

He said the smile or "smirk" was his way of saying "this is all you're going to get from me if you're trying to provoke any other reaction nothing is coming"

Phillips also tried to lie about something similar in 2015 when he said he was said he approached some kids and they told him to go back to the reservation. Except when the cops came no one was even there and the kids he claimed racially abused him where never even there to begin with.

It's really simple. As K4E said - people just need to chill until all the evidence is available. Doxxing and death threats to a 16 year old from adults is not okay, now or ever. It should be a valuable lesson to all but sadly it won't be.

It's just turned into another Left vs. Right thing and the stow goes on. Only this time when the facts were presented some ran, some apologised, and some stand their ground and shout "but but what about when the right does it?". Then call that out too when it happens. No lying, no clickbait, no threats. Just be better.

No I'm not. I'm using what we know and what I've seen with my own eyes. Not a second hand account from a thirsty girl that has said something actually racist (the boy has not). Zero cred there. I've seen the 2 hour video and the different angles that have been posted. Have you? because you seem to be doing what everyone did before the actual footage came out. Most have retracted their error in judgement but still some are clinging to whatever they can to validate their hate.

There were 600k people at the march. How do we even know they are the same kids from the later incident? We don't. We have a 2 hour video vs. an 8 second one that shows kids shouting after an interaction took place.

Correct. That's only from the 19 minute footage. There has been longer and different angles shown. Including another ingidenous member shouting "go back to europe where you came from" at a kid. Sandman turns and tells his friend to cut it out (with a hand to the neck gesture) - He actively tried to stop tensions from escalating which should be commended except it isn't.

Proof Phillips walks to sandman:

As Sandman stated: "Phillips had every right to come over and stand there, just like I had every right to stand and hold my ground too"

He said the smile or "smirk" was his way of saying "this is all you're going to get from me if you're trying to provoke any other reaction nothing is coming"

Phillips also tried to lie about something similar in 2015 when he said he was said he approached some kids and they told him to go back to the reservation. Except when the cops came no one was even there and the kids he claimed racially abused him where never even there to begin with.

giphy.gif

A lot of conservatives and religious types are pro-life.
They’re "pro-life" right up until the kid is born, at which point they are against them getting education, health care, or any other support. "Pro-life" is the most hypocritical moniker for a conservative position in a movement that’s drenched in hypocrisy.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They’re "pro-life" right up until the kid is born, at which point they are against them getting education, health care, or any other support. "Pro-life" is the most hypocritical moniker for a conservative position in a movement that’s drenched in hypocrisy.
I don't recall hearing conservatives say those things. :shrug:

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

A predominately white school wearing black face is ok? Not sure that would pass the sniff test in any predominantly black neighbourhood. Yeah they have white day, but show me the history with that white face and racism. Black face is now taboo and still practicing in it shows their hand and ignorance at continuing the tradition.

Also, what is the white to black ratio at the school?
Need a quota do we? Makes zero to little difference in terms of tolerance, education is more important.
A predominately white school wearing black face is ok? Not sure that would pass the sniff test in any predominantly black neighbourhood. Yeah they have white day, but show me the history with that white face and racism. Black face is now taboo and still practicing in it shows their hand and ignorance at continuing the tradition.
Not particularly, but in this case, blackface was not racially motivated and via that video, the blackout stuff has been stopped for years. White face, if you really want to get into it has historical linkages to social-darwinist racial integration and terms like 'half-cast'. This article explains it: https://metro.co.uk/2017/06/13/whiteface-is-a-thing-too-lets-talk-about-it-6704665/

What hand is that, a bunch of secret racists, really? Why is this video of blackface a problem now, but not a few years ago when it happened, very interesting. Fitting into a neat little narrative.

Last edited:

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
That is why I mentioned: the media knows it as both sides have fed off it. For some on the right the kids are heroes, for some on the left, the kids are racist demons.

I mention hypocrisy plenty, you can look at half of my posts in the gender thread and the Politics board for me calling out the right, particularly in regards to identity politics. My problem has consistently been the media and whipping people up into a state of frenzy over nonsensical garbage. As for the abortion stuff, labeling as an attempt to control females via pro-life is feminist rhetoric; pro-life is in the business of saving lives, the debate, at its core is what constitutes life.

Now they shouldn't have been so quick to comment in the first place of course, but that's the nature of the beast in the digital age, but it's important they did withdraw. That's something you will almost never, ever see on the conservative side of politics or media.

That is anecdotal and pure subjective bias. I can say the same thing about conservatives and you'll have no way to prove or disprove it otherwise, unless you want to meta-analysis years worth of tweets and media analysis and even then, you would probably be wrong on that front. There is a reason that studies continually show that those on the left generally base their politics on feelings and a strong sense of empathy, while the right are more based on seemingly cold rationality. Both sides fly off the handle, but the emotional side would logically do it more for obvious reasons. In the end, the collective points scoring over who is worse is ultimately pointless and only furthers the cause of those that use the media for their own purposes.
Hard disagree on the characterisation of that angle as feminist rhetoric. Or at least, it may be feminist rhetoric, but there's nothing wrong with that because it's absolutely correct. A bunch of cells in another person's body is not life. And bullshit that they're in the business of saving lives. Most of the pro-lifers are the same who whine about the second amendment when people suggest taking their semi-autos away from them and are in support of locking kids up in detention. And that's not really anecdotal either, there was a piece floating around a few years ago on that very thing.

That's fair. I think I'd be right, but I obviously have no way to prove that. And I think the logical/emotional divide is nohwhere near as clean cut as you suggest in terms of right and left respectively. It may make up very broad trends, but I'd say individuals are far more complicated than that.

You absolutely are. You're characterising the girl in a way that allows you to dismiss the hard evidence that's available in the video. I mean to say that she is thirsty because she tagged Ariana Grande in a tweet is genuinely laughable. Again though, the tweets that have been attributed to her from 5 years ago are awful, but even they don't change the actual content of the video, which was of them hurling abuse at women. On the evidence available, which you seem to want to cling to with regards to the Phillips thing, they were being smug, boorish pricks. And yet your reply is that, well, who knows what happened before the camera came out, they might have provoked it (which is classic victim-blaming when it comes to harassment btw). I don't know how you don't see the self-contradiction there.

And now you're also mis-representing me, GG. Don't make me rescind my honorable mention for you in the POTY thread! :p If you'll recall, I made no such judgement that they were racist. I don't have a position on that confrontation with Phillips. I know you've seen the whole video, and apparently in it they were making hand-chop signals, taunting about indigenous land rights and colonization, and other common pejoratives when it comes to American Indians. Did you see that? If so, I'd say that's a pretty conlusive answer to you question, but as I said, I'm not the one making that judgement as I havent seen it.

Need a quota do we? Makes zero to little difference in terms of tolerance, education is more important.

Not particularly, but in this case, blackface was not racially motivated and via that video, the blackout stuff has been stopped for years. Most black neighbourhoods live in perpetual victimhood, it is part of the reason why 90% of the African-American vote goes to the Democratic, borderline indoctrination via social-welfare. I take stock of African-American's who can think for themselves and are not professional victims. White face, if you really want to get into it has historical linkages to social-darwinist racial integration and terms like 'half-cast'. This article explains it: https://metro.co.uk/2017/06/13/whiteface-is-a-thing-too-lets-talk-about-it-6704665/

What hand is that, a bunch of secret racists, really? Why is this video of blackface a problem now, but not a few years ago when it happened, very interesting. Fitting into a neat little narrative.
Regardless of whether it's racially motivated, the context of blackface will always make it a racist symbol. It's an indictment on their school tbh if they don't know the history of it and use it in school spirit rallies.

And come on mate, I'm pretty sure you've said before that you're an ethnically white Australian, and if so, that victimhood comment is a pretty ******* average sentiment. It's straight from the conservative, white male Fox News playbook and it's just bullshit. Plenty of successful African-Americans have talked about the inter-generational trauma and the historical ripple effects that contribute to the challenges in lower class African-American life. And maybe they vote Democrat because they're a party that has *less* institutuionalised racism in both its ranks and its policies. I'm guessing the African-Americans you're talking about are people like the moronic Candace Owens and those who fit the classic Uncle Tom archetype.

Maybe the blackface was a problem in their community? I mean, we're on the other side of the world, so who knows, but it's obvious why it's being highlighted now, because it does fit the narrative.
Anything supposedly racist needs to be viewed through two windows.

Intent and Context.
Things can be one or the other and still be pretty ******* racist, to be fair.

Blackface is a perfect example of why the intent on an individual level might not be racist, and to be honest, I like to think that most of the time it's not, but the historical context makes it inherently a racist symbol.

Mod Edit: Closed as per the 10K post rule

Part three here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/random-chat-thread-episode-iii.1215037/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back