Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I'm just watching the rolling coverage of the Indian Pacific rail journey and having enjoyed last years footage of The Ghan, this years IP journey looks fascinating.

I know it sounds bizarre, but it really is interesting, unless that's the sleep deprivation calling.

Every Sunday in January 2019, SBS has scheduled four marathon slow TV events: Three hours each in primetime on SBS and streaming live on SBS On Demand; the full journeys of up to 18 hours will be shown on SBS VICELAND the following week.

WayneShimmiesTheBush

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
apologies if this hasn't formatted properly but this is pure gold ha ha ha

Polyana Viana, UFC fighter, beats up would-be thief in Rio after he tried to rob her using fake gun
Updated about an hour agoTue 8 Jan 2019, 12:14pm

Photo: Polyana Viana says she beat up and restrained a would-be mugger who was trying to steal her mobile phone. (UFC/Polyana Viana)
Related Story: Mum shoots and kills armed robber outside Mother's Day lunch
A woman standing on her own waiting for an Uber in Rio de Janeiro may have appeared an easy target to a would-be thief.

Key points:
  • UFC strawweight fighter Polyana Viana says she beat up a would-be mugger trying to steal her mobile phone
  • She says she judged he did not have a real gun as it was "too soft"
  • Passers-by called police while she pinned her assailant, who was treated in hospital before being taken to the police station

The only problem for the perpetrator was his target was a strawweight UFC fighter, who turned the tables on the thief with punches, a kick and a "rear-naked choke" before forcing him to sit and wait for the police.

Mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Polyana Viana, nicknamed "the Iron Lady", told website MMA Junkie the thief used a fake gun to try and steal her mobile phone while she waited outside her apartment block on Saturday night.

"When he saw I saw him, he sat next to me," Viana said.

"He asked me the time, I said it, and I saw he wasn't going to leave. So I already moved to put my cell phone in my waist.

"And then he said, 'Give me the phone. Don't try to react, because I'm armed.' Then he put his hand over [a gun], but I realised it was too soft.

"He was really close to me. So I thought 'if it's a gun, he won't have time to draw it.' So I stood up. I threw two punches and a kick. He fell, then I caught him in a rear-naked choke.​
"Then I sat him down in the same place we were before and said 'now we'll wait for the police'."

Photo: Polyana Viana said she realised the gun the mugger was holding appeared "too soft", before she fought back. (Supplied: Polyana Viana)

With her assailant subdued, Viana found the gun was in fact just a cardboard cut-out of a pistol.

She said she asked passers-by to call the police while she kept the man pinned.

Photo: Polyana Viana is known as "the Iron Lady" on the UFC circuit. (Twitter: Polyana_VianaDF)

"I was fine because he didn't even react after. Since he took the punches very quickly, I think he was scared. So he didn't react anymore," she said.

"He told me to let him go, like 'I just asked for the time.' I said, 'Asked for the time my ass,' because he saw I was very angry.​
"I said I wouldn't let go and that I was going to call the police. He said 'call the police, then', because he was scared I was going to beat him up more."

Viana said police took the man to a medical facility to treat his wounds and then to the police station, where she filed a report.

UFC president Dana White applauded Viana, tweeting an image of the fighter alongside the mugger.

"On the left is @Polyana_VianaDF, one of our @UFC fighters and on the right is the guy who tried to rob her #badf***ingidea," White tweeted.

Viana said she simply went home and made dinner after leaving the police station, adding her hands hurt a little the day after, but it was nothing serious.

Photo: Polyana Viana kept her assailant pinned down while passers-by called police. (Supplied: Polyana Viana)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Polyana Viana, UFC fighter, beats up would-be thief in Rio after he tried to rob her using fake gun

Photo: Polyana Viana says she beat up and restrained a would-be mugger who was trying to steal her mobile phone. (UFC/Polyana Viana)
A woman standing on her own waiting for an Uber in Rio de Janeiro may have appeared an easy target to a would-be thief.

Key points:
  • UFC strawweight fighter Polyana Viana says she beat up a would-be mugger trying to steal her mobile phone
  • Passers-by called police while she pinned her assailant, who was treated in hospital before being taken to the police station

The only problem for the perpetrator was his target was a strawweight UFC fighter, who turned the tables on the thief with punches, a kick and a "rear-naked choke" before forcing him to sit and wait for the police.

Mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Polyana Viana, nicknamed "the Iron Lady", told website MMA Junkie the thief used a fake gun to try and steal her mobile phone while she waited outside her apartment block on Saturday night.

"He asked me the time, I said it, and I saw he wasn't going to leave. So I already moved to put my cell phone in my waist.

"And then he said, 'Give me the phone. Don't try to react, because I'm armed.' Then he put his hand over [a gun], but I realised it was too soft.

"He was really close to me. So I thought 'if it's a gun, he won't have time to draw it.' So I stood up. I threw two punches and a kick. He fell, then I caught him in a rear-naked choke.​
"Then I sat him down in the same place we were before and said 'now we'll wait for the police'."

Photo: Polyana Viana said she realised the gun the mugger was holding appeared "too soft", before she fought back. (Supplied: Polyana Viana)

With her assailant subdued, Viana found the gun was in fact just a cardboard cut-out of a pistol.

Photo: Polyana Viana is known as "the Iron Lady" on the UFC circuit. (Twitter: Polyana_VianaDF)

"I was fine because he didn't even react after. Since he took the punches very quickly, I think he was scared. So he didn't react anymore," she said.

"He told me to let him go, like 'I just asked for the time.' I said, 'Asked for the time my ass,' because he saw I was very angry.​
"I said I wouldn't let go and that I was going to call the police. He said 'call the police, then', because he was scared I was going to beat him up more."

Viana said police took the man to a medical facility to treat his wounds and then to the police station, where she filed a report.

UFC president Dana White applauded Viana, tweeting an image of the fighter alongside the mugger.

"On the left is @Polyana_VianaDF, one of our @UFC fighters and on the right is the guy who tried to rob her #badf***ingidea," White tweeted.

Viana said she simply went home and made dinner after leaving the police station, adding her hands hurt a little the day after, but it was nothing serious.

Photo: Polyana Viana kept her assailant pinned down while passers-by called police. (Supplied: Polyana Viana)

She tries those moves in Melbourne and could look forward to doing time for her bravery.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's not exactly the nicest thing to say about Mrs Keating. With all due respect.
giphy.gif

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does anyone else wonder if all the people screaming about violence across Melbourne have never actually experienced violence? African gangs, Bikie gangs, Islamic extremists, Neo Nazi’s etc.

FFS wake up and address the fact you most likely know someone who’s bashing his wife and kids. Honestly the world is *en mental.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's an important issue. Hopefully the comic value of the vid didn't outdo the impact they could've had if they'd just done another take.

Yeah they need to sort that s**t out. I don’t know too much about it. Well apart from it effecting our boarding when they let the Hume go (if that’s even relevant)

goalieboy82

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Fairfax Kangaroos

Key points:

Blame it on Rio...

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
It's an important issue. Hopefully the comic value of the vid didn't outdo the impact they could've had if they'd just done another take.

Absolutely....ABC PM were talking about this last week and no one was giving a care; today I heard thousands of dead fish some weighing up to 50kgs found dead. The same thing happened up here last year on the Goulburn with parts of the River turning black because of lack of flushing due to irrigation.

Despite the vomiting, one of these guys also refers to the Fish as Sheep.

Amateur hour!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...ring-menindee-locals-about-fish-kill/10701766

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back