Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heads up to everyone here. I'm sure you've all heard of the tragic events unfolding in Christchurch atm. Well, the shooter live streamed the massacre on Facebook and it's getting shared across Facebook and Twitter. I recommend turning off the autoplay feature for videos on both platforms for the foreseeable future because I didn't have it off and the footage I saw is .... confronting, to say the absolute least.
Its probably the worst bit of footage I have seen of any terrorist attack

Will be interesting to see how the media factions handle this.

This shooter 100% wanted attention. He's an accelerationist intent on worsening the left/right divide so much as to cause balkanisation, and filled his manifesto and other content with a multitude of internet culture related meme's and the like, all presumably to create as much social friction as possible in the longterm. Everything from 'subscribe to pewdiepie' to the navy seal copypasta, to the choice of music he played on the videos.

Apparently spent 2 years planning for 'an' attack, and several months specific planning for this place/time.

I was a kid in Nubeena when the Port Arthur massacre happened. New Zealand as a whole is going to reel from this for a long time, but the local communities will NEVER be the same again.

I'm not usually one for posting condolences or conveying excitement/sadness/emotion at events on here whether it be football or non-football related. Came close in the Majak thread a few times, but most of the time such thought out deliberate actions/reactions just don't feel right to me for personal reasons.

In this case however I really want to convey that my heart goes out to the dead, the injured, and to the countless others whom will be affected by this man's actions. Too many people will be walking around a decade from now with nary a physical scar, but countless emotional and mental ones from one 15 minute event. Heartbreaking.

Just read the introduction of the shooter's 'manifesto'. It is beyond disturbing that someone genuinely thinks that way and is trying to fuel some kind of final end civil/global war.
Will be interesting to see how the media factions handle this.

This shooter 100% wanted attention. He's an accelerationist intent on worsening the left/right divide so much as to cause balkanisation, and filled his manifesto and other content with a multitude of internet culture related meme's and the like, all presumably to create as much social friction as possible in the longterm. Everything from 'subscribe to pewdiepie' to the navy seal copypasta, to the choice of music he played on the videos.

Apparently spent 2 years planning for 'an' attack, and several months specific planning for this place/time.

I was a kid in Nubeena when the Port Arthur massacre happened. New Zealand as a whole is going to reel from this for a long time, but the local communities will NEVER be the same again.

I'm not usually one for posting condolences or conveying excitement/sadness/emotion at events on here whether it be football or non-football related. Came close in the Majak thread a few times, but most of the time such thought out deliberate actions/reactions just don't feel right to me for personal reasons.

In this case however I really want to convey that my heart goes out to the dead, the injured, and to the countless others whom will be affected by this man's actions. Too many people will be walking around a decade from now with nary a physical scar, but countless emotional and mental ones from one 15 minute event. Heartbreaking.
He got what he wanted, rolling media coverage and social media outrage. The tit for tat (left v right) nonsense has already begun on twitter and other forms of social media, which is really disheartening.

Considering how much of this looney's ramblings were on twitter and facebook etc, why no red flags picked up by anti terrorist monitors ?
Lone wolf and de-centralised terrorist groups are the hardest to pin down amongst all the other real and imagined threats. I would guess that the intelligence services assessed him and his accomplices as a non-realistic/violent threat a while back and never revisited a fresh assessment. A lack of an overt paper (technological) trail may have also been an issue, ie how he sourced multiple weapons. There are some parallels, from an intelligence service POV, to the Lindt siege and how intelligence was handled in regards to the perpetrator.

Last edited:
As a mate of mine said, if your solution to terrorism is shooting innocents in a mosque, guess what? you are the terrorist.

I hope they rot in prison for what they've done.

They're only words but my heart goes out to the families, friends and victims.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to hear that.

Did you know them at all?
Not personally no. The community is a tight knit community with many from NZ/the Pacific countries/ South East Asia so this one will hurt.

Just read the introduction of the shooter's 'manifesto'. It is beyond disturbing that someone genuinely thinks that way and is trying to fuel some kind of final end civil/global war.

He got what he wanted, rolling media coverage and social media outrage. The tit for tat (left v right) nonsense has already begun on twitter and other forms of social media, which is really disheartening.

Are hardcore lefties using this far right act of
terrorisim to get on their soap box? That shits gotten out of control. (Not related) but not long ago I even saw some people on the right try to pass off nazi’s as a leftest group, talk about revisionist history. Something about the nazi party starting off as a workers party or some such garbage. Anyway people are so obsessed with this scoring points for their left V right agendas now common sense has gone out the window.

Crazy times

terrorisim to get on their soap box?

Naturally, which explains the true extent of their compassion.

terrorisim to get on their soap box? That shits gotten out of control. (Not related) but not long ago I even saw some people on the right try to pass off nazi’s as a leftest group, talk about revisionist history. Something about the nazi party starting off as a workers party or some such garbage. Anyway people are so obsessed with this scoring points for their left V right agendas now common sense has gone out the window.

Crazy times
It’s pure tit for tat over terrorist attacks and historical body counts of a particular ideology; it shows how many of us are losing our humanity. This tit for tat sensationalist business helped create these evil shooters and will only continue to create future issues.

I was reading just this week about a large survey of Americans and how many no longer see their political and ideological opponents as humans. De-humanising people is right out of the Nazi and genocide book.

Just pathetic mate.

Personally I hate this left or right s**t. There are good policies and bad policies. Both sides are capable of either

It just show's their true nature...........but enough of the politics.

GR, I am sure you will stand strong for your friends.

It just show's their true nature...........but enough of the politics.

GR, I am sure you will stand strong for your friends.

I just get frustrated by the subtle racism we face in the media every day that feed these nutcases.

You’re right. giantroo my thoughts are with your community :fist:

Crazy times
I personally haven't seen that, but it wouldn't surprise me. A few of the prominent alt-righters who have already jumped on this as a false flag as well, which is all kinds of ****ed up. Given this is politically motivated violence, there's a place for the political discussion around it a considerable distance down the line, but * anyone who moves in that direction in the immediate aftermath. ******* Candace Owens, who was named in the manifesto as an inspiration, is throwing out the LOLs and "leftie this' and leftie that' before throwing out a tweet promoting something she's on.

A lot of people are trying to immediately have a crack at the blame game as well. It's just so ******* myopic with some of these people, while families and communities lay shattered. I guess it's the American desensitization to this kind of violence, where it's so common and that victims are nothing more than statistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back