Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If we come out and brain this season, I’ll never forgive the club for not terminating Scott sooner.

Lol. I understand where your coming from. However, the club is on a hiding to nothing on the back of your statement. I’d be inclined to go with “if we come out and brain this season - what a great move by the club to move Scott on in the middle of the season and appoint an absolute rookie coach - who is really just a little Geelong cat!”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lol. I understand where your coming from. However, the club is on a hiding to nothing on the back of your statement. I’d be inclined to go with “if we come out and brain this season - what a great move by the club to move Scott on in the middle of the season and appoint an absolute rookie coach - who is really just a little Geelong cat!”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did you say Scamper??

Waits for the obligatory shot from the set 'The People under the stairs'

If we come out and brain this season, I’ll never forgive the club for not terminating Scott sooner.

Yeh it's a nagging thought but you never know how it might've played out..

Brad Report Card:
2010 - new coach - keep
2011 - new coach - keep
2012 - finals - keep
2013 - competitive promising year - keep
2014 - finals wins - keep
2015 - finals wins but stopped short - part ways #1 - I'd have cut him after pies game as mentioned previously
2016 - finals wipeout & senior player delistings - part ways #2 - badly managed player group and season after an excellent platform built on some average footy
2017 - the "reset" - part ways #3 - began with some player blooding but nothing to suggest it was particularly going the right way
2018 - the "reset" II - part ways #4 - enough evidence, the club had an opportunity to make finals but once again when expectation rose, performance dropped
2019 - part ways #5 - Brad steps down

That's 5 realistic points I'd have seen the best option as Brad and North finishing the relationship. Happy to cop that 2015 was line ball as he did regroup for finals wins.

That still leaves 2016, 2017, 2018 as justified parting points for Brad and the club imo.

Brad Report Card:
2010 - new coach - keep
2011 - new coach - keep
2012 - finals - keep
2015 - finals wins but stopped short - part ways #1 - I'd have cut him after pies game as mentioned previously
2016 - finals wipeout & senior player delistings - part ways #2 - badly managed player group and season after an excellent platform built on some average footy
2017 - the "reset" - part ways #3 - began with some player blooding but nothing to suggest it was particularly going the right way
2018 - the "reset" II - part ways #4 - enough evidence, the club had an opportunity to make finals but once again when expectation rose, performance dropped

That's 5 realistic points I'd have seen the best option as Brad and North finishing the relationship. Happy to cop that 2015 was line ball as he did regroup for finals wins.

That still leaves 2016, 2017, 2018 as justified parting points for Brad and the club imo.
End of 16 should really have been the time to cut him.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, that would've been the ideal time to clear things out and start again. The era had failed, full list build, couple of coaching cycles and it was done.

A Devil's Advocate however may say that we may not have enjoyed who replaced him though.

Cutting Brad and bringing in, say, Voss :openmouth: is not a very appealing hypothetical..

Brad Report Card:
2010 - new coach - keep
2011 - new coach - keep
2012 - finals - keep

About the time you mention in 2015 we started a 25 game period where we only lost 2 or 3 games. Even at the end of 2016 he earned a rebuild.

It's easy to say that stuff about moving him on with hindsight.

But since 2016 we recruited Jy, CZ, Souv, LDU, TT and another B Scott. 6 gun players about to come into their own. Under Scott. If Maj hadn't had his incident who knows how different last year might have been

It's not as simple as "he's a s**t coach". He was mediocre because he had some major failings. But his positives must have made up for that because they are massive flaws. No skill work and too much rigidity.

Honestly we've come out of this situation incredibly well. But we're due some luck.

About the time you mention in 2015 we started a 25 game period where we only lost 2 or 3 games. Even at the end of 2016 he earned a rebuild.

But since 2016 we recruited Jy, CZ, Souv, LDU, TT and another B Scott. 6 gun players about to come into their own. Under Scott. If Maj hadn't had his incident who knows how different last year might have been

It's not as simple as "he's a s**t coach". He was mediocre because he had some major failings. But his positives must have made up for that because they are massive flaws. No skill work and too much rigidity.

Honestly we've come out of this situation incredibly well. But we're due some luck.
Having Maj would have accomplished dick with Brad's checked out attitude, lack of work ethic and terrible gameplan.

2016 - finals wipeout & senior player delistings - part ways #2 - badly managed player group and season after an excellent platform built on some average footy.
In hindsight, that was the time. In practice, at the time, he'd been the face of the delistings and the tough decisions they represented, so to sack him too would have been a bit odd.

A Devil's Advocate however may say that we may not have enjoyed who replaced him though.
Cutting Brad and bringing in, say, Voss :openmouth: is not a very appealing hypothetical.
Simon Goodwin, or Chris Fagan? They were the new coaches in 2017. A solid no to the first, a 'very tempting' to the second.

On the whole, I tend to agree with this. I doubt we'd have won a premiership in 2017/18, or last year, so arguably Brad oversaw the rebuild. If Shaw is highly successful, it will be, in part, on the back of what's been done, in both development and list management however imperfect that has been.

Like you've said here, and I believe it was RobZombie who expressed it this way: I tend to think Brad was a decent coach, until he wasn't.

In hindsight, that was the time. In practice, at the time, he'd been the face of the delistings and the tough decisions they represented, so to sack him too would have been a bit odd.

Simon Goodwin, or Chris Fagan? They were the new coaches in 2017. A solid no to the first, a 'very tempting' to the second.

On the whole, I tend to agree with this. I doubt we'd have won a premiership in 2017/18, or last year, so arguably Brad oversaw the rebuild. If Shaw is highly successful, it will be, in part, on the back of what's been done, in both development and list management however imperfect that has been.

Like you've said here, and I believe it was RobZombie who expressed it this way: I tend to think Brad was a decent coach, until he wasn't.
He was a reactive coach and our players played the same way.
Worst mindset you could have.

Brad Report Card:
2010 - new coach - keep
2011 - new coach - keep
2012 - finals - keep

2016 was absolutely the time. Still sour the way he treated the AFL games record holder. It was a disgrace. Boomer would still work as a sub

John Longmire article on the HS website. Contained this little pearl.

Since 2016, their (Sydney) total number of games by played by debutantes in that time is 709, which is the second-most behind Carlton (747).
The fewest debutant games in that period is at North Melbourne with just 242.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back