Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Except Carlton who beat us by 50, everyone else who has flogged us by 45+ has gone on to lose the next week.
We've broken the Saints as well.

Beat us by 53 and have now lost to the Lions and Bombers.

I have a dream albeit a humble one.

During a grand final where we have an unassailable lead, I wanted to see Mick Martyn beat an opponent with bodywork, grab the ball, spin around and snap an own goal.

One day I hope that some future North Melbourne key defender can grant this simple, selfless wish I once held on to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t sure where to put this, but this an article about the NBA’s Houston Rockets that had a few quotes that reminded me of our situation. Some of these could have come straight from the mouth of Ben Amarfio or Sonja Hood.

"It's very painful, but I know we're doing it the right way," Fertitta says over the phone while peering at the Tower Bridge in London from his yacht on a family vacation. "The future is exciting."

"The NBA punishes the middle," says Stone, a longtime front-office employee promoted to GM after Morey's exit. "That's just the way the system is set up."

"The priority is development right now, and along with development comes winning habits and doing things the right way," Rockets coach Stephen Silas says after watching the voluntary workout. "Hopefully, that leads to some wins, but development is the priority."

"We made the decision from an ownership standpoint that our goal was to win a championship," says Patrick Fertitta, seated next to his father on the yacht, enjoying the last days of a brief vacation before returning to Houston for the final week of draft preparation. "In order to win a championship, you have to take material sacrifice and pain. I think [for] a lot of teams out there, a lot of organizations, a lot of ownership groups, a lot of front offices, their pain threshold doesn't allow that.

"We made a decision to go forward with that. It hasn't been easy at times, but we're committed to it, and we are aligned from ownership to the front office and on down the line to doing what it takes to give ourselves the highest probability of eventually winning a title.

"That's the path we've chosen, and we're sticking to it."

Source: The Rockets are loaded with picks, projects and heaps of patience

I went out to the airport yesterday. Went past that row of flagpoles near the Montague St exit, as always looked up idly to see the NMFC flag, and thought for a while it was missing, but it was the very last one. That made me glance back along the row, to see that as far as I could remember the flags were in ladder order. It had never occurred to me that they weren’t just raised permanently in some other random or alphabetical order. Someone must be taking them down and changing the order every week and I keep thinking about it.

I had nothing to do last night so I watched this game. Rd17, 1996 North Melbourne V Melbourne. Carey was unbelievable. Strongly recommend watching this game for anyone too young to see him play. He had everything, marking, power, kicking, smarts, handballing. Just a force. No one stamped themselves on a game like Carey

Corey McKernan did some incredible things as well.

I had nothing to do last night so I watched this game. Rd17, 1996 North Melbourne V Melbourne. Carey was unbelievable. Strongly recommend watching this game for anyone too young to see him play. He had everything, marking, power, kicking, smarts, handballing. Just a force. No one stamped themselves on a game like Carey

Only Vic.game l missed that year would you believe !
Got the VHS ( and Ligma, no, that isn't an s t.d. )

People crap on about Nic Nat, Grundy, Gawn.... how easily they forget Corey.

Clarko playing for Melbourne ...

Do yourself a favour and watch the 1996 Premiership highlights on the club site.

Tearing up territory as we start to gain the ascendency.

Crocker and Sholl sublime forward work. Fruity, Rock, Stevo, Bell all attack the goal anytime they're near the 50.

McKernan playing like a man possessed.

Freeborn having the best quarter of his career (nice time to have it) to turn the tide.

Defenders punching on with their opponents.

Fast ball movement, contesting at every chance. Every player to a man drilled to go front and centre at contests and play on immediately.

Fairley getting the fairleytale (ahem) goal to finish the AFL centenary.

Doesn't get any better.

the good old days when we won by 10 goals rather than lost by said margin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back