Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If there is already a thread on this, please merge it.
Our last quarters and mid game fadeouts have been well documented.
Melbourne game is a good example of what we've seen plenty of this season. Our pressure is actually pretty good, if not elite. And our ball movement has improved greatly since the early rounds. However, what hasn't improved, is the ability to sustain this game style for the entire game. Granted, Adelaide game was one out of the box, but more often than not, we have allowed teams back into games due to our inability to sustain the pressure.

You would think most teams would have similar fitness levels across the league. But I can't believe that our fadeouts and last quarters are purely mental issues.
I was wondering this after the first month, but finishing strongly vs Adelaide & Melbourne and holding our own until real late junk time vs Sydney are data points in the other direction.

I suspect it's partly that chasing is harder than front-running, so you get more worn out when you don't have the ball.

If you look at the 3 games we've lost badly, the damage was mostly done late in the 2nd quarter. The 3 close losses,

Cats' comeback was mounted largely in the first 10 minutes of the 4th when we should have been at least a bit fresh from the break and it was an arm wrestle the rest of the way.

Dogs reeled us in over the 3rd quarter and we outscored them in the last 15 minutes of the 4th as well as having enough of the play to generate 2 wasted scoring chances in the last minute.

Freo finished over the top of us. Fatigue looked like a problem in the last few minutes but there's also the Perth factor.

Edit: stupid autocorrect

Last edited:
If there is already a thread on this, please merge it.
Our last quarters and mid game fadeouts have been well documented.
Melbourne game is a good example of what we've seen plenty of this season. Our pressure is actually pretty good, if not elite. And our ball movement has improved greatly since the early rounds. However, what hasn't improved, is the ability to sustain this game style for the entire game. Granted, Adelaide game was one out of the box, but more often than not, we have allowed teams back into games due to our inability to sustain the pressure.

You would think most teams would have similar fitness levels across the league. But I can't believe that our fadeouts and last quarters are purely mental issues.

I dunno if you've seen this article or not. I saw it recently and I assume it was via this board but maybe not:

Match running performance in elite Australian Rules Football

Abstract
There is little information describing the match running demands of elite-level Australian Rules Football (AF). The aims of this study were
to examine: (1) match running demands; and (2) the influence of periods of increased physical activity on subsequent running performance in
the Australian Football League. Time-motion analyses were performed 1–9 times per player from 16 professional AF players from the same
club during games in 2005–2007, using portable global positioning systems during 65 matches. Game movements (standing, walking, jogging,
running, higher-speed running, and sprinting) and distances (total distance covered [TD]; low-intensity activity [LIA, distance <14.4 km h−1];
and, high-intensity running distance [HIR, distance > 14.4 km h−1]) were collected. The influence of the first half physical activities on second
half activities, and each quarter on the subsequent quarter were analysed. The mean (±SD)TDand HIR distance covered during the games were
12,939±1145m and 3880±663m respectively. There were reductions in TD in the second (−7.3%), third (−5.5%) and fourth (−10.7%)
quarters compared to the first quarter (p < 0.01). The HIR was reduced after the first quarter (p < 0.001). Players that covered larger TD or HIR
during the first half or quarter decreased distance in the next half and quarter, respectively (p < 0.001). These results show that a reduction in
exercise intensity is inevitable during an AF match and that higher intensity activities reduce towards the end of games. High average speed
during each half or quarter also affects subsequent running performance in elite-level AF.

In summary, the present results show that higher exercise
intensity during the early periods of AFL matches may influence
the onset of fatigue towards the end of the match. The
first quarter of match play is the most intense, and there was a
reduction in TD and HIR travelled after the first quarter. The
mean speed travelled during LIA was reduced following the
first quarter, and this might have assisted the players to maintain
intensities in HIR during the latter part of the game. Our
results also showed that the decrement in TD and HIR during
different periods in AF is not a systematic phenomenon but is
associated with the amount of recent activity.We suggest that
these results be used to better understand that factors associated
with fatigue and variations of physical activity levels
during elite-level AF.
5. Practical implications
• Coaches should be aware that players who exercise at
higher intensity during a quarter have greater reduction
in exercise intensity during the next quarter.
• Coaches may include real-time exercise intensity measures
in Australian Football matches when making decisions
regarding future player rotations.
• Coaches and sport scientists can use the information in this
study to assist in designing and monitoring training drills
that are specific to the physical demands of professional
Australian Football.

The whole article is worth a read because the quotes above might be an over simplification.
http://www.catapultsports.com/media/3275/coutts-2009-match-performance-gps-afl.pdf
http://www.catapultsports.com/media/3275/coutts-2009-match-performance-gps-afl.pdf

5c0d963084f30d51b867afeb1da824cc.jpg

Did laugh out loud!

Sugar is having his best year to date, Froggy has stepped it up again from last year in pretty much all facets of the game, Garner is easily outstripping his previous performances, McDonald is doing the same, Hrovat in equal career best form, Williams getting close to his 2015 form, Wood and Clarke following on from last year and EVW doing a great job in his first run at senior level.

That’s 9 players 23 or under who are playing pretty damn well and have plenty of scope for improvement. Garns has shown some elite traits, as has Wood, McDonald and Dumont are starting to put together some really good form with time on ball and on the wing, Hrovat is getting some continuity and is hurting teams late, Turner is hitting the scoreboard and the opposition, Williams and EVW have fit in like vets and Clarke will really benefit from more games at this level.

And we still have 4 young first round picks up our sleeve (Ahern, Durdin, McKay, Simpkin). Reset coming along nicely.

Anyone know the deal with booking tickets for Adelaide oval? Thinking road trip for the Port Game. Is there anyway I can book tickets to sit within a designated north area?

Anyone know the deal with booking tickets for Adelaide oval? Thinking road trip for the Port Game. Is there anyway I can book tickets to sit within a designated north area?

I think (from memory) you book tickets through Bass in Adelaide. I'm sure kangatime could confirm. I also recall that they're aware of sections being sold to visiting fans.

As a member the club sorts out tickets in the designated section. Call them, they'll sort you out as the have a certain allocation.

Tip if you're driving over, don't have North stickers on a nice car!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a member the club sorts out tickets in the designated section. Call them, they'll sort you out as the have a certain allocation.

Tip if you're driving over, don't have North stickers on a nice car!!

Or Victorian number plates ;)

In all seriouslyness, Adelaide Oval is a great place to watch footy.

Refresh going well.

Last year North got a total of 50 AFL games out of this current group of players:

Garner, Wood, McDonald, Dumont, Turner, Hrovat, Williams, Clarke, Wagner, Vickers-Willis, Preuss, Simpkin, Mountford, Durdin and Hibberd.

This season we have so far got 88 games out of em, with all showing really positive signs.

Missing out on Questionable players that have flopped at their new clubs aswell as players we wanted to retain leaving and not doing much at other clubs eg Wells and greenwood.

If we had gotten some of those deals done their would be no talk of kelly or dusty coming to north. Also having access to a talent like Tarryn Thomas and some father sons coming through it just seems like norths luck is changing??

Has Brad Scott made a deal with the devil?
stars are aligning.

Missing out on Questionable players that have flopped at their new clubs aswell as players we wanted to retain leaving and not doing much at other clubs eg Wells and greenwood.

If we had gotten some of those deals done their would be no talk of kelly or dusty coming to north. Also having access to a talent like Tarryn Thomas and some father sons coming through it just seems like norths luck is changing??

Has Brad Scott made a deal with the devil?
stars are aligning.

- Put Levi & Wells fit and firing in our 2017 side and we would be sitting in the top 8 at 7 & 4.

- I think Kelly was always going to be a target.

- Thomas has nothing to do with luck, when it is weighed up against the Blakey scenario.

- Put Levi & Wells fit and firing in our 2017 side and we would be sitting in the top 8 at 7 & 4.

- I think Kelly was always going to be a target.

- Thomas has nothing to do with luck, when it is weighed up against the Blakey scenario.

A fit Wells.

Wat is that?

What are everyone's thoughts and memories of Nathan Thompson as a player?

He popped up in my Twitter feed today and I was instantly taken back to the 2005-06 days of being arguably our best player. Finished top 10 in the Brownlow in 2006 I think which is a great effort for a key forward.

Reckon he was my favourite player during those years, and was devastated when he missed 2007 with that knee injury. When he returned a year later, he just wasn't the same.

He popped up in my Twitter feed today and I was instantly taken back to the 2005-06 days of being arguably our best player. Finished top 10 in the Brownlow in 2006 I think which is a great effort for a key forward.

Reckon he was my favourite player during those years, and was devastated when he missed 2007 with that knee injury. When he returned a year later, he just wasn't the same.

Liked.

I can vaguely remember him getting into a bit of strife for taking himself for an interchange late in a game when not scheduled or called on to do so, can anyone else expand ? IIRC, we lost the game too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back