Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I like that none of our players have man-buns.

Bread McKenzie's delisting certainly put paid to that.

Pro-tip: Next time you're in Rye, walk into the bakery and order a loaf of "Rye bread, toast sliced". And then get all pissy when they bring you a sliced loaf of rye bread, saying that's not what you meant at all. Hours of fun for the whole family.

Bread McKenzie's delisting certainly put paid to that.

Pro-tip: Next time you're in Rye, walk into the bakery and order a loaf of "Rye bread, toast sliced". And then get all pissy when they bring you a sliced loaf of rye bread, saying that's not what you meant at all. Hours of fun for the whole family.

Interesting. I do the same gag each time I visit Pumpernickel.

Wait what.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...8/news-story/e14a9d6be6132521382469ee045a4a94

North Melbourne wants to locate young girl caught up in runaway elephant incident at Arden St in 1978
e14a9d6be6132521382469ee045a4a94

JON RALPH, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only
e14a9d6be6132521382469ee045a4a94

THE man responsible for Arden St’s famous runaway elephant says he is determined to solve that episode’s enduring mystery.

North Melbourne returns to its spiritual home for its first official game in 32 years on Sunday, hosting a sold-out JLT series game against Hawthorn

Former Kangaroos full back and marketing manager Barry Cheatley was the man who organised that stampeding elephant back in 1978.

The elephant looked set to run through the crowd after reacting to the cheers of the packed crowd — a record of 31,424.

MEMORABLE MOMENTS: WHAT MADE ARDEN ST SPECIAL?

On its back was a North Melbourne cheer squad member who looked terrified as its handler strained to rein in the elephant.

Finally he succeeded as parents dragged their children away from the out-of-control beast.

Now the Kangaroos and Cheatley are desperate to locate that young girl in the blue and white stripes before Sunday’s clash.

Cheatley, who played 81 games with the Roos, said the elephant was paraded as part of a promotion for the Sole Brothers Circus.

It was supposed to plod sedately on and off the ground, but the stunt nearly turned into a full-blown disaster.

Can you help us find the young girl? Email jon.ralph@news.com.au

Despite North Melbourne’s record of success while at Arden St, the infamous elephant ride remains one of the best-remembered episodes in club history.

“To the best of my knowledge that girl was a cheer-squad member and we would love to establish as fact who she was,’’ Cheatley said.

“If anyone knows who that person was we would love them to call before Sunday’s game.

“The idea was to promote a circus as a fundraising event and that day we were playing Collingwood.

"We knew the elephant was coming in on the grandstand or Gasometer side of the ground but what we didn’t plan on was Collingwood coming onto the ground from the other end.

“There was a huge crowd and all bar 2000 were Collingwood fans and the elephant wasn’t used to it.

“I was speechless. We could see what was about to happen. Thankfully the trainer was able to stop the beast and slow it back to a walk.”

1a36664139c41e96453f308519e3ec75

North Melbourne wants to find the young girl who was on the elephant.
North Melbourne has previously tried and failed to locate the girl, who looks about 10-15 years of age.

Reigning premiers North Melbourne remained composed despite the drama in a nine-point win, with Phil “Snake” Baker, Malcolm Blight and John Burns (seven goals) starring against Collingwood’s Rene Kink, Stan Magro and Phil Carman.
Cheatley says the child stayed remarkably composed as the elephant charged towards an open gate filled with children and scores of spectators.

“It was probably only charging for about five seconds but it seemed a damned sight longer than that,’’ he said.

“Whatever part of the ground you were on, you couldn’t help but see it unfold.

“The girl was hanging on quite comfortably but boy, when that elephant started to run she would have panicked a bit and must have been concerned. But she did stay on.”

More recently the Brisbane Lions attempted to bring a real-life lion onto the field to promote an AFL contest, an idea quickly scuttled after AFL intervention.

North Melbourne will on Thursday issue its own public plea to find that courageous girl, who today would be around the age of 50.

Found an old game played at Arden Street in 1979 vs Carlton. Yesterday was fantastic to be there but just imagining what the atmosphere would have been like yesterday if it was packed like this again.

Found an old game played at Arden Street in 1979 vs Carlton. Yesterday was fantastic to be there but just imagining what the atmosphere would have been like yesterday if it was packed like this again.

I'd say most of us Grumpy Olds were actually there that day gr. I know I was. It was a ripping era to be a North supporter, and doubly so when playing at our own hallowed turf surrounded by our fellow North nutcases.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen a few of the younger players at an establishment in North Melbourne Sunday night, seemed to be enjoying themselves while watching a replay of the game. Some good banter and plenty of beverages.

Players eligible for the RS this year on our list:

Fordham
Vickers-Willis
Nielson
Durdin
Hibberd
Mountford
Wagner
Taylor
Clarke
McKay
Junker
Simpkin
Zurhaar
Larkey
Williams
Watson

I expect a pretty big haul this year with a fair chunk of games coming from this group.

I reckon Clarke, Vickers-Willis, Durdin, Mountford, Simpkin will all a very good chance snag one. I'd almost lock Clarke and Vickers-Willis in for one based on the pre-season.

Hibberd, Wagner, McKay, Zurhaar definately capable.

Bloody fumbles Schimmelbusch. Will never amount to anything if he can't become a one touch player.

So. Spent my birthday gift voucher at Arden St on Sunday buying the new women's polo with the song on the fabric. Loving. Myself. Sick.
Got my wife one also and she is in love with it too. It is definitely a winner.

I simply got a rib removed. :stern look
Yeah, I remember that. Was that the same day as when Bubootz told us he was the voice for Wally Walpamur? I remember you couldn't laugh because of the pain. I'll never forget that. Did we ever find out if he was or not, or did we just sweep that under the keeper?

saw a couple of the young lads with Marley and Majak out and about last night. Preuss, despite stating the obvious, is a massive unit. head was hitting the roof

Remove this Banner Ad

Back