Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Moderator #2,403
Jamie MacMillan and Shaun Atley have 2 career Brownlow votes each. Each of them received this in the form of a single 2 vote game.

They've played 142 and 179 games respectively.

Now I don't personally rate the Brownlow very highly but am surprised that 2 blokes who have played reasonably eye-catching run and carry roles at different times only caught the umpire's attention once each.

Before you conclude "well it's a midfielder's award" - Scott Thompson has 23 career votes.

Heaps of fun

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jamie MacMillan and Shaun Atley have 2 career Brownlow votes each. Each of them received this in the form of a single 2 vote game.

Now I don't personally rate the Brownlow very highly but am surprised that 2 blokes who have played reasonably eye-catching run and carry roles at different times only caught the umpire's attention once each.

Before you conclude "well it's a midfielder's award" - Scott Thompson has 23 career votes.
My take on that is that Scott Thompson is a much better player.

Brownlow is hard on backline players though. Corey Enright played the most high quality games in defence in the 21st century and he got 34 votes over 332 games. Though it's hard to catch a lot of votes behind Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Johnson, Chapman Corey, Kelly etc etc.

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Moderator #2,407
In fairness to Atley, he's almost always played as a stopper.
How did this bloke:
"8. Essendon - Shaun Atley
Resembles: Chris Judd (Carlton)
Could be a steal for the Bombers as he is rated top-five by some. Inside midfielder has burst of speed and great awareness in tight."

.. get turned into a stopper?

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Moderator #2,408
Easton Wood has 9 votes in 10 years and he's been an AA and premiership captain.
Those aren't arbitrary distinctions though. Neither of these blokes have been near an AA squad yet have both received ample senior opportunity and been given time to find their niche.

Not saying either is a disaster but like a lot of our players but neither seems to have broken beyond the average tier too often either.

muttley45

Premium Gold
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Indianapolis Colts
I was asked by a mate today, 'who is the player in your team who has the most multiple involvements in transition/scoring chains ?", sadly the 1st name to come mind was Bailey Scott, a 1st year player with a grand total of 3 games, and dropped/rested this week.

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants
How did this bloke:
Could be a steal for the Bombers as he is rated top-five by some. Inside midfielder has burst of speed and great awareness in tight."

It takes one to make one.

1555046106591.png

Only Forwards

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was asked by a mate today, 'who is the player in your team who has the most multiple involvements in transition/scoring chains ?", sadly the 1st name to come mind was Bailey Scott, a 1st year player with a grand total of 3 games, and dropped/rested this week.
It's a nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Devington

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon that might change this week. I feel like a few of the older players are ready to have an impact. Well, either that or because Scott is being '''rested'''.

big_e

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers

If I'm not mistaken, Shaun Atley has finished top five in the B & F once, in 2013.

GreatBradScott

Good Morning, Hell-A.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester City, Melbourne Victory
How did this bloke:

Was never actually played there. Which could've been half the problem.

kangaspurs

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
To be fair, in the brief midfield opportunities Atley did get, as limited as they were, he never showed he belonged there. He's always struggled with composure and decision making when under pressure, so I'm not sure the midfield was ever the best place for him.

SonofSamsquanch

Member of Bushwood Golf Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How did this bloke:

Creative and innovative coaching?

Top Bottom