Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Wasn't sure where to post this so created a thread instead. Surely this is a joke. Fox Sports top 10 key defenders with no R Tarrant in sight...... Laughable!!!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/syd...a/news-story/918da712754579b85dd8efdac7212a43
Editorial. Not even pretending to be news. But clickbait, yeah. Dumb ( don't mean you Nicko). Andrew bolt will be Rating Melbourne's Backline add either Nazi's / or Communists. ( interesting that I had to type out the whole word as I am on my phone, and communist does not exist in predictive text). Time to be kind to the neighbors and participate in your local community.

Wasn't sure where to post this so created a thread instead. Surely this is a joke. Fox Sports top 10 key defenders with no R Tarrant in sight...... Laughable!!!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/syd...a/news-story/918da712754579b85dd8efdac7212a43
30ab1ue.gif

This is a long over due thread.

I can finally contribute. The other thread was tough on me because about 93% of my random thoughts are only about North.

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When is the intraclub? We haven't had this many open spots in recent memory.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Last 5 1st round draft picks.

2016. Jy Simpkin. Highly talented but missed his full draft year with injury. Still on rehab training.

2015. Ben McKay. Bottom aged player who played half a season of TAC Cup after pulling out during preseason.

2014. Sam Durdin. A highly rated slider who was injured during his draft year and didn't really settle in a position as a junior, being a good footballer in a 198cm body.

2013. Luke McDonald. F/S and junior champ. Had a decent top aged year and worthy top 10 selection at draft time.

2012. Taylor Garner. Bolter who committed to footy during his injury plagued top aged year.

Not too many sure things at the time of drafting in that group. Draft time question marks on all but McDonald.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

2016. Jy Simpkin. Highly talented but missed his full draft year with injury. Still on rehab training.

2015. Ben McKay. Bottom aged player who played half a season of TAC Cup after pulling out during preseason.

2014. Sam Durdin. A highly rated slider who was injured during his draft year and didn't really settle in a position as a junior, being a good footballer in a 198cm body.

2013. Luke McDonald. F/S and junior champ. Had a decent top aged year and worthy top 10 selection at draft time.

2012. Taylor Garner. Bolter who committed to footy during his injury plagued top aged year.

Not too many sure things at the time of drafting in that group. Draft time question marks on all but McDonald.
And his draft was the only top 10 pick we had after Zeebs I think.

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Yes i agree with that. It's interesting as our strategy seems to be picking players up cheaper than talent suggests, but with the injury question mark that has meant other clubs have gone around.

Seemingly high risk reward strategy - I'm guessing with Saunders and new tech etc we are backing ourselves in for the reward.

Still a worry though because no amount of tech can counter a run of injuries like we had last year. Positive side is you'd think it can only get better.

Ps; I'd also add Anderson to that list where talent not an issue as a new "recruit", health certainly so.

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was a shame when the old random thoughts thread was hijacked to become a safe haven for biscuit and bicycle conversations. Sometimes you need a place to comment that there's been a club wide shift in sock length, without the ridicule that would arise from creating a specific thread for it.

Also, B Tron's post made me look back at the Bryce Lewis era of drafting making me realize that throughout his entire period of drafting there isn't a single year where we missed an obvious choice with our first pick.

Every club recently has had a Conca over Heppell, a Buntine over Wingard or a Toumpas over Stringer moment in the first round. Yet now that Robbie Tarrant has well and truly made up for us not drafting Harry Taylor, I'm not even sure what our worst year was? Atley over Isaac Smith? McKenzie over Seb Ross? As unspectacular as Lewis was, when Seb Ross is our one that got away, I think we've done alright.

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Also, B Tron's post made me look back at the Bryce Lewis era of drafting making me realize that throughout his entire period of drafting there isn't a single year where we missed an obvious choice with our first pick.

There's plenty of handy players after Bread (sic) McKenzie. Lachie Neale goes ok as just one example.

No superstars sure, but that draft was awful for us. Not one player taken is left on our list from 5 years ago is a fair sign we missed the mark.

Most years i agree we've drafted ok though for sure.

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was a shame when the old random thoughts thread was hijacked to become a safe haven for biscuit and bicycle conversations. Sometimes you need a place to comment that there's been a club wide shift in sock length, without the ridicule that would arise from creating a specific thread for it.

Every club recently has had a Conca over Heppell, a Buntine over Wingard or a Toumpas over Stringer moment in the first round. Yet now that Robbie Tarrant has well and truly made up for us not drafting Harry Taylor, I'm not even sure what our worst year was? Atley over Isaac Smith? McKenzie over Seb Ross? As unspectacular as Lewis was, when Seb Ross is our one that got away, I think we've done alright.

Hansens over Selwood

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's plenty of handy players after Bread (sic) McKenzie.

No superstars sure, but that draft was awful for us considering those available.

Not one player taken is left on our list from 5 years ago.

Not defending the 2011 draft or the McKenzie selection one bit, but when the low-light of 10 years of drafting in the first round is missing out on a fringe best 22 player, I think we've done alright.

EDIT: You look at Richmond routinely drafting a couple of selections before guys like Ziebell, Lever, Fyfe, Heppell and Cripps, and you can see how fortunate we've been to avoid those types of blunders.

Considering the trash that was the 2011 draft, getting Sam Gibson probably puts us in the top half of clubs that took part. Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Gold Coast, Melbourne and West Coast all somehow came out worse.

Hansens over Selwood

Bryce Lewis took over in 2007 from memory.

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not defending the 2011 draft or the McKenzie selection one bit, but when the low-light of 10 years of drafting in the first round is missing out on a fringe best 22 player, I think we've done alright..

Yep we've certainly done alright as long as they can get on top of their injury issues.

I wasn't arguing per se, just maybe suggesting (like most clubs as a poor draft) we did hve one year where if (for example) you change McKenzie to Hill, and Curran to Neale we'd have been improved a long way off what we picked.

It's just hindsight of course and i agree our drafting has been mostly positive. That's why I'm excited for next year.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Have posed these before but whatever.

Who was the better player for us? Use whatever criteria you like..

McKernan vs Petrie

Pickett vs Wells

Schwass vs Wells

Simpson vs Cunnington

Rawlings vs Swallow

Corey Jones vs Thomas

Abraham vs Dal Santo

McCartney vs Hansen

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know people old enough know that the 'year that never happened' was the biggest waste of a premiership, but 1997 was close.

We beat Geelong (2nd) and West Coast after being 32 points down in the third quarter in the finals. Can't help but think we may have been a shot if Archer and Schwass weren't suspended and McKernan (and Carey) didn't injure his shoulder. It was such an open year anyone in the top 7-8 sides could have won it.

What makes it filthier is that watching the suspension incidents again, I think Archer was trying to kick the ball and was just bit reckless... in the wet, understandable. Schwass claimed he lost his balance (not sure if true) but it was such a minor incident you'd get a fine these days, not miss weeks. Oh well not much point looking in the rear view mirror, here's to season 2017...

Last edited:

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

McKernan vs Petrie - Corey was -the- best player in the comp at his peak.

Pickett vs Wells - Wells played more better games than Pickett, may have been a different story if he stayed at North.

Schwass vs Wells - Schwass was Wells plus aggression, could also take a hanger.

Simpson vs Cunnington - Simpson has a lot more runs on the board.

Rawlings vs Swallow - tough one, I'd say Swallow by a whisker.

Corey Jones vs Thomas - love LT more than CJ, an emotional choice perhaps more than logical.

Abraham vs Dal Santo - Abraham played his best footy at North, Dal Santo not so.

McCartney vs Hansen - I think people often undersell Lachie, injuries have held him back but is definitely a better player and more versatile

I have employed a criteria that involved combining various complex equations and algorithms that could only truly be deciphered by someone with a Masters degree in magic mushies. In a nutshell, it leans more toward 'football acumen' rather than 'actual career return/output'.

McKernan vs Petrie.....

......Corza. By a considerable margin. Brilliant footballer at his best.

Pickett vs Wells.....

....tough one. The focus on Byron's bone-crunching hits tends to undermine his overall ability as a player. Very capable footballer who could read the game incredibly well. Saying that, a Rolls is a Rolls. So I'll go Daniel.

Schwass vs Wells....

....Schwatta here. Rate him very highly as a player.

Simpson vs Cunnington....

....calling this one a draw. (Meaning the ball's still well and truly in your court, Cunners.)

Rawlings vs Swallow....

.....another close one. Rawlings the better tagger obviously, but both good tacklers with a similar level of disposal proficiency/efficiency. Give it to Brady on account of not having to wait 10 minutes until his kicks re-entered the Earth's stratosphere.

Corey Jones vs Thomas....

.....both as enigmatic as ****. Corey certainly had his moments and I rate him as a player, but I'll give this one to LT by one of his unshaven whiskers.

Abraham vs Dal Santo....

....Winnie. And I ain't no member of the 'Hating On Dal' Club that seems to be all the rage since he got turfed. But yeah, as far as North goes....Win wins.

McCartney vs Hansen....

.....Lachie. When fit and 'on' (and granted it's been a while since we've seen it, but cast your memories back), Lachie is a jet. Love Jase and his story remains an inspiring and remarkable one, but Lachie's a cut above as a player.

Back