Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

1975 Sept 27
1977 Sept24/Oct 1
1996 Sept 28
1999 Sept 25

Quoting myself here I know but I love this:

Keith Greig won the ‘73 & ‘74 Brownlows wearing No 27, scoring 27 votes in both counts.

In ‘75 we win our first Premiership on September 27th.

In the ‘77 Draw we came back from a 27 point deficit at 3/4 time.

And we won the Reply the next week by 27 points.

Unfortunately the next Grand Final on the 27th isn’t until 2025.

Bit out of blue. Does anyone remember the suburbs and ranks of the herald sun membership numbers in 2015 based on 2014 members?
1 werribee, point cook
2 hoppers crossing, tarneit
3 flemington and kensington
4 hobart
5 north melbourne
Anyone who remembers?
Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should get Sav Rocca back over (currently at Carlton) to work on our key forward development. While Brown and Waite worked well, Wood doesn't know where he is half the time and often leads in the way of other forwards. We also have had a shambolic track record of developing key forwards with the exception of Brown and I think he pretty much got to where he is off his own bat.

Draft history:
2016: Larkey (5/73). [FF] Looks promising from low expectations.
2015: McKay (1/21). [FF] Abandoned. Playing as a defender.
2014: Durdin (1/16). [CHF] Abandoned. Playing as a defender.
2013: Brown (3/47). [FF] Success.
2012: Wood (2/41). [HF] Taking forever.
2011: Curran (2/40) [KPF] Gone
2010: Pedersen (R1/17) [KPF] Gone
2009: Black (2/25) [HF] Gone
2009: Kennedy (3/41) [HF] Gone, was also thrown down back before de-listing.
2009: Daw (R1/9) [KPF/R] Abandoned. Playing as a defender, pinch hits now and then.
2008: Wright (2/27) [HF] Abandoned. Playing as a defender.
2007: Tarrant (1/15) [FF] Abandoned. Playing as a defender.
2007: Smith J. (4/62) [KPF] Gone
2006: Hansen (1/3) [CHF] Gone. Abandoned and played as a defender.
2006: Edwards (6/82) [HF] Success, until given the flick.

That is the trashing of a considerable amount of good draft picks, thankfully we have recycled a few into defenders but it has been a bloodbath for bigger forwards. Whatever we are doing, it is fair to suggest it should be overhauled.

Flew down to Melbourne on Thursday from Cooly airport, was sitting in the crowd and looked up. "Gee that guy looks like Higgo ... (20 seconds later) wait a minute that bloke with him looks like JY."

Sure enough the two of them were flying out. Stopped for a chat, took some photos with my kids and were genuinely nice to talk to. And the only time I've genuinely seen Higgo smile - happy without a care in the world - was in a tv interview when asked about his daughter and when "I said congrats on your first kid. How bloody awesome is it?"

Forgot to plug how awesome giantroo to JY sorry mate.

Reminds me of two different times.

One was immediately after the Swans 19 man draw (when I impressed my Dad by introducing him to the Captain, Simmo, and that he knew me.) Simmo later said to me that it was such a relief in that most of the after match conversations were usually “what you should have done” type things, but all my Dad wanted to talk about was Simmo’s days at Macleod-Rosanna.

And then along the same lines as ferball, I met Carey at a footy function and he was waiting for footy talk, but he lit up when I only talked about his brand new daughter.

Reminds me of two different times.

One was immediately after the Swans 19 man draw (when I impressed my Dad by introducing him to the Captain, Simmo, and that he knew me.) Simmo later said to me that it was such a relief in that most of the after match conversations were usually “what you should have done” type things, but all my Dad wanted to talk about was Simmo’s days at Macleod-Rosanna.

And then along the same lines as ferball, I met Carey at a footy function and he was waiting for footy talk, but he lit up when I only talked about his brand new daughter.

I always try and avoid that with footy players unless we end up talking and its genuine conversation about the situation. I met Wayne Carey on a plane once (in feb '96), have probably told this story on here more than once, and actually knew what they needed to do to fix the s**t that kept going wrong. but sitting there i realised there was no way i could say anything and expect someone who was good as him to take me seriously.

Luckily i had a magic buddha that could tell him without sounding like some flog know it all without a clue.

Was genuinely thinking about telling them to visualise a magic buddha then look into it's eyes and think about winning the flag this year but I'd taken enough of their time with photos and jokes about Lurkers.

theres a woman in morwell flogging all her NM stuff!

4JW4c0YQSL1r.png

Four North supporters in the Australian cricket team for this series: Siddle, the Marshes and Holland.

Probably the worst performed four on tour, and we may not see any of them again, so let's enjoy it while we can.

I remember seeing him say wtte years ago and thinking how awesome it was.

And like someone tweeted in response - interesting to consider in light of Gaff, Martin and (probably) Kelly.

I remember seeing him say wtte years ago and thinking how awesome it was.

And like someone tweeted in response - interesting to consider in light of Gaff, Martin and (probably) Kelly.
In the end you have to commend the loyalty when players choose to stay put.

Regardless of their circumstances and reasons for doing so... which doesn't satisfy my need to crucify people but no one cares.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back