Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see you're not a biologist.

The important point being that they were introduced by humans, and not via typical evolutionary processes. If I see a wild one, they are dead. Same goes for pigeons, miner birds, rats, rabbits & foxes. Kill on sight.
A rare point of agreement. (Mynah, btw.) Add starlings to the list, cane toads.

Can someone please post that iconic picture of Keith Greig at full stride executing the most graceful drop punt ever?
I’ve been searching for it and can’t find it. But I know it was posted on BG in the last couple of months.
Thanks!
This one?

unnamed.jpg

Thank you B Tron!! That is the very same one!!
I spoke with the great man at Mick Nolan's wake at the Gabba a few years ago. What a true gentleman and legend.
I should find the recording one day, as a great mate was working for the abc at the time and interviewed him (among others).

Keefy had to leave us mid discussion as some formal photo's were being taken. Then he sought us out later to finish the interview.
Seriously, its the only time in my adult life I felt like a kid again!
The most memorable thing he told us - "you just cost us the grand final"
was what he said after Crackers snotted Don Scott in the 78?? prelim

Thank you B Tron!! That is the very same one!!
I spoke with the great man at Mick Nolan's wake at the Gabba a few years ago. What a true gentleman and legend.
I should find the recording one day, as a great mate was working for the abc at the time and interviewed him (among others).

Keefy had to leave us mid discussion as some formal photo's were being taken. Then he sought us out later to finish the interview.
Seriously, its the only time in my adult life I felt like a kid again!
The most memorable thing he told us - "you just cost us the grand final"
was what he said after Crackers snotted Don Scott in the 78?? prelim

I saw Crackers after leaving the 78GF at the Macca’s in Flemington Road. I had just bawled my guts out leaving the MCG as a 10 year old. Got his autograph. He looked as broken hearted as I felt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from this morning (the owner of the farm took it)
View attachment 796932

Bit of Kanga-Lotto on Scamper! I love that he's cool with the tail. And glad he's on the mend from his big adventures.

But let's not "kill on sight" any of his brethren. It's not their fault us humans introduced them to where they are. Also, giant eye roll at the poster who continually claims it's all hyperbole and hysteria with respect to climate change ( a much bigger threat to our planet) but damn those pigeons and foxes if I see one they're dead! Kill on sight!!

Good grief.

I would say that if I see the people who introduced those species I'll kill them on sight, but ... never mind.

Found this post ironic considering;
It’s a broader ecological conservation perspective at issue here, vs knee-jerk reaction against a dog owner. You can’t see the difference?

I would say that if I see the people who introduced those species I'll kill them on sight, but ... never mind.

All existing cats in Australia should be de-sexed, and the non domestic varieties shot on sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a broader ecological conservation perspective at issue here, vs knee-jerk reaction against a dog owner. You can’t see the difference?

Found it fascinating your indifference to the blanket termination of animals - pest or otherwise, while in the same breath getting uppity against what was clearly a flippant comment on an internet forum.

Didn't agree with the post either but would have found it a waste of energy to address it.

Found it fascinating your indifference to the blanket termination of animals - pest or otherwise, while in the same breath getting uppity against what was clearly a flippant comment on an internet forum.

Didn't agree with the post either but would have found it a waste of energy to address it.
It’s not indifference. It’s a utilitarian perspective. Feral cats claim millions of native species every year and have contributed to the extinction of some species. Unfortunately it’s an either/or situation and I will come down heavily on the side of native fauna every time, especially if it means an existential threat. Compassion here, not indifference.

It wasn’t an isolated attitude that lead to my response. You’re barking up the wrong tree Ryz.

Human beings claim millions of species every year, and have contributed to the extinction of many hundreds of thousands. We've been permanently upsetting ecosystems since the industrial revolution. Getting all trigger happy about it at this point is going to change nothing, given the current state of our planet.

I agree with the sterilisation of all domestic cats. Far too many millions are killed for lack of homes. But extermination by gunfire, or any other means, of any group of creatures, whether indigenous or not, is not a reasonable thing to put so much energy and angst into. In the end none of it will matter, because we humans are destroying the entire planet. Unless that is in fact our methodology for eradicating the cane toad and any other creatures we deem harmful. In which case, well done humans. Bit over the top, but go us. I guess.

It’s not indifference. It’s a utilitarian perspective. Feral cats claim millions of native species every year and have contributed to the extinction of some species. Unfortunately it’s an either/or situation and I will come down heavily on the side of native fauna every time, especially if it means an existential threat. Compassion here, not indifference.

It wasn’t an isolated attitude that lead to my response. You’re barking up the wrong tree Ryz.
Feral cays wouldn't be as much of a problem without some of the other issues associated with their introduction.

Land clearing, weed introduction and mass 10/80 poisoning for example.

I'm sure there is another random thread for this and I'll happily bang on about it there.

Human beings claim millions of species every year, and have contributed to the extinction of many hundreds of thousands. We've been permanently upsetting ecosystems since the industrial revolution. Getting all trigger happy about it at this point is going to change nothing, given the current state of our planet.

I agree with the sterilisation of all domestic cats. Far too many millions are killed for lack of homes. But extermination by gunfire, or any other means, of any group of creatures, whether indigenous or not, is not a reasonable thing to put so much energy and angst into. In the end none of it will matter, because we humans are destroying the entire planet. Unless that is in fact our methodology for eradicating the cane toad and any other creatures we deem harmful. In which case, well done humans. Bit over the top, but go us. I guess.

Hey SN, I could be wrong but I’m guessing that there might be the odd fishing line being cast in your direction on the more radical solution to the cat issue side of things. If you hang around long enough, somebody will probably recommend Leonardo DiCaprio’s ultimate answer in “Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood” being inflicted on our feline population. Let’s face it, there would be a fair few of us running for cover if the “non-native” argument was carried through fully...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Hey SN, I could be wrong but I’m guessing that there might be the odd fishing line being cast in your direction on the more radical solution to the cat issue side of things. If you hang around long enough, somebody will probably recommenced Leonardo DiCaprio’s ultimate answer in “Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood” being inflicted on our feline population. Let’s face it, there would be a fair few of us running for cover if the “non-native” argument was carried through fully...

They create absolute havoc amongst the native wildlife, and no sane naturalist would argue against their extermination in the wild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back