Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

2016.............lost opportunity.
2013 was the first chance and the 2015 finals series leading into the first half of 2016 was our clear window. As soon as we lost Jacobs, Higgins, Waite, Swallow, Cunnington, Luke, Wright - well you get my drift here.

I'll say it again, we were a really good side in 2013. Just couldn't structurally hold it together when sides can at us in the last 10 minutes.

If we could've switched to Ross Lyon as coach for the last 10 minutes of every game we'd have been top 4.
6 losses under 10 points

5 within a goal.

only 2 losses greater than 3 goals.

the side was solid, just couldn't get it done.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
2013 was the first chance and the 2015 finals series leading into the first half of 2016 was our clear window. As soon as we lost Jacobs, Higgins, Waite, Swallow, Cunnington, Luke, Wright - well you get my drift here.

In 2011 we got 4 x 10 goal floggings!

We'll get a couple more next year, but look out for us in 2022 to start making the next rise.

Generally, it's ~ 6-7 year cycles.

1994 to 2000 - 2007 - 2014 - ????

We'll get a couple more next year, but look out for us in 2022 to start making the next rise.

I am in total agreement of this time line.

I expect next year to be less messy than this year but in no way consistent.

in 22 if we are not finals bound we are very close to, and we are an absolute handful for the top 8 sides.

I reckon it is going to be LDU that becomes the barometer of the side. We saw glimpses this year. we will see more next year and he's going to be pretty consistent by 22. I get that development isn't linear and a bunch can impact it, put putting aside fluctuations in his form. It'll be interesting to watch his development and see if there is correlation to our results.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I am in total agreement of this time line.

I expect next year to be less messy than this year but in no way consistent.

in 22 if we are not finals bound we are very close to, and we are an absolute handful for the top 8 sides.

I reckon it is going to be LDU that becomes the barometer of the side. We saw glimpses this year. we will see more next year and he's going to be pretty consistent by 22. I get that development isn't linear and a bunch can impact it, put putting aside fluctuations in his form. It'll be interesting to watch his development and see if there is correlation to our results.

We're not as far off as some of the "total rebuild" folks seem to think.

I suspect that by 2022 onward we will be going heavily at FA's again.

The era of free agency means that the turnaround can happen quickly, provided clubs get the draft rebuild platform right.

Last edited:
20201023_212021.jpg

Punter for chairman. Just need him involved.
Im of the belief until Ricky and Eugene are somehow back involved with the club then we just havnt got it right.
I know they are preoccupied elsewhere but the current mob just dont instil me with much confidence in getting the onfield right.

Not one of the players we delisted got picked up.
Scotts and Joyces

Our development must be some of the worst in the comp over the last four or so years.
Big forwards/rucks we do well in but the majority of the time we just can’t get talented footballers to come on.

Wood had that many chances this year and still nominated for the draft. Laughable.
Ahern and Hosie must have been drunk when they submitted their names.

Last edited:
Scotts and Joyces

Our development must be some of the worst in the comp over the last four or so years.
Big forwards/rucks we do well in but the majority of the time we just can’t get talented footballers to come on.

Wood had that many chances this year and still nominated for the draft. Laughable.

I don't blame them for trying by way of nominating for the draft.

It's just that for each of those players, getting picked up was always a long shot.

Scotts and Joyces

Our development has been good last two years.

View attachment 1028417
For those who have everything...
Good thread selection for this post, well played Jimmy. Particularly random Ed Lower spotting that. Can't see him being run off his feet with offers.
What next? Stuey Cochrane giving moustache growing advice for people doing Movember for the first time?

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I can't remember the last time our USD FX rate was parity.

Just looked it up - 10 years ago almost to the day.

Was over there at the time and it was Christmas shopping. Genuine discounts of epic proportions. The economy was rubbish and Tourists were treated like Kings and Queens.

Lit_Dorito

Debutant
Dec 27, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Watching Ben Brown next year is going to be interesting. I wish him all the best but if he kicks a bag against us and tallies 60+ goals for the year, that's not on.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Spirit of Tasmania ferry passengers will be able to bring their car or motorcycle at no charge for a period of four months under an expansion of the Bass Strait Passenger Vehicle Equalisation Scheme to be announced today.

Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack said the expansion of the scheme would help Tasmania's tourism industry recover from the downturn caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

"For travel between 1 March 2021 and 30 June 2021, Australians can take their car or motorbike to the Apple Isle at zero cost and discover everything this beautiful state has to offer," Mr McCormack said.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Spirit of Tasmania ferry passengers will be able to bring their car or motorcycle at no charge for a period of four months under an expansion of the Bass Strait Passenger Vehicle Equalisation Scheme to be announced today.

Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack said the expansion of the scheme would help Tasmania's tourism industry recover from the downturn caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

"For travel between 1 March 2021 and 30 June 2021, Australians can take their car or motorbike to the Apple Isle at zero cost and discover everything this beautiful state has to offer," Mr McCormack said.

So much for "carrying" Victorian football clubs.

Back