Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Which is why we get good odds. Simpkin is @ $101 and Cunners is @ $251 for the Brownlow

Maybe slight overs but realistically we won't win enough games this year for our players to be in genuine contention and Cunners has proven to not be a great vote-getter relative to his output. It would be interesting to see what odd you could get on our players winning a Brownlow in the next five years.

I went past a second hand bookshop today and found these two finals records against hawthorn... what happened in 1977 (we lost) and how did we turn it around to beat them 2 weeks later and hold then to 5 goals? I was too young to remember.

The 1994 game was the first finals win (and draw) that I ever attended.

20210220_152113.jpg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I went past a second hand bookshop today and found these two finals records against hawthorn... what happened in 1977 (we lost) and how did we turn it around to beat them 2 weeks later and hold then to 5 goals? I was too young to remember.

View attachment 1061716

That 94 win was an absolute classic! Carey was enormous.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

View attachment 1061716

My first game!

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne

View attachment 1061716

Was at the '77 game. Was a wet day at the 'G if remembered correctly and we did not have our best team on the park, one being the great Robbie Smith at full-forward, Craig Davis who was stop gap at best, Jarrot, Terry Moore.
By the time we met them 2 weeks later the hype was over them meeting Collingwood again in the G.F. after a classic 2nd semi-final game, the Hudson return, beating us the previous 2 occasions and us having made 5 changes since the qualifying final.

That '77 prelim is my personal all-time favourite finals win. Beautiful Waverly sunny day ( a first ), classic underdog status, big rivalry, lots of confident Hawk supporters. But we literally wiped the floor with them. They only kicked 3 goals after 1/4 time. Cable gave Matthews a football lesson, Hudson not up to it and we ran and ran and ran. 16.16 not a true reflection of our dominance. Baker kicked 2.6 and 2 out on the full.
Some reasonable footage on you-tube 👍

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Was at the '77 game. Was a wet day at the 'G if remembered correctly and we did not have our best team on the park, one being the great Robbie Smith at full-forward, Craig Davis who was stop gap at best, Jarrot, Terry Moore.
By the time we met them 2 weeks later the hype was over them meeting Collingwood again in the G.F. after a classic 2nd semi-final game, the Hudson return, beating us the previous 2 occasions and us having made 5 changes since the qualifying final.

That '77 prelim is my personal all-time favourite finals win. Beautiful Waverly sunny day ( a first ), classic underdog status, big rivalry, lots of confident Hawk supporters. But we literally wiped the floor with them. They only kicked 3 goals after 1/4 time. Cable gave Matthews a football lesson, Hudson not up to it and we ran and ran and ran. 16.16 not a true reflection of our dominance. Baker kicked 2.6 and 2 out on the full.

The greatest hiding Leigh Matthews ever copped from anyone.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Was at both
Probably sat near you

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

View attachment 1061716
How much was the one on the right?

I have that copy and several other Finals from the late 70’s

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Love hearing this stuff mate.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Goes back a ways but great era for the purists.
3. Cable B.O.G. Would have given all 3 just for his handballing !
2. Johnny Byrne.
1. Tanner. Set up the game.

H.M. Baker mightta got the 3 if he'd kicked straight.

Am I right in thinking Cable was Boomer ground coverage and evasion combined with Cunnington handball plus general skills up a notch on either of them?

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Am I right in thinking Cable was Boomer ground coverage and evasion combined with Cunnington handball plus general skills up a notch on either of them?

Close. Throw in a bit of Jimmy & Phil too.
Got to the right spots, spin on a sixpence and punch out a 20 metre handball to a teammate running full pelt and hit him on the chest. Couple to Blight that '77 prelim and the over the head, no-look to Alves will never leave my memory. Watch between the 2.30 - 3.00 minute mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
H.M. Baker mightta got the 3 if he'd kicked straight.

The cue went in the rack at half time and I concentrated on the granny. :thumbsu:

Galloping around at training this morning, St. Kilda barracking team mates getting into me for their win. Seriously boys, it's February!! I just laughed and told them they had signed Mason Wood. They seemed excited actually hahahaha

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Galloping around at training this morning, St. Kilda barracking team mates getting into me for their win. Seriously boys, it's February!! I just laughed and told them they had signed Mason Wood. They seemed excited actually hahahaha
When your last flag signified the shift to a decimal currency you gotta find the little things in life to celebrate.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

View attachment 1061716
still remember driving home from work screaming for kingy to kick that shot in the dying seconds of normal time, bloody lucky we smashed em in the extra time.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Finally a NMFC partner that has made me take notice:

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/877747/north-celebrates-its-heritage

North Melbourne is pleased to welcome Tasmanian Heritage to the club as its official Cheese Partner.

North fans will have the opportunity to enjoy Tasmanian Heritage cheeses, made in Tasmania using 100 per cent Tasmanian milk, at a number of club events throughout the year.

The partnership will see Australia’s number one camembert and brie brand* at the Grand Final Breakfast, Syd Barker, and Chairman’s functions, among other events.

As a staple at a picnic or Friday night barbeque, Tasmanian Heritage is a brand members and fans can rely on as they are watching the footy with family and friends.

Where's the member deals?

I would like to see us follow up with partnerships with a breadstick maker and rekindle the Debortoli deals for cheap Port.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Finally a NMFC partner that has made me take notice:

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/877747/north-celebrates-its-heritage

Where's the member deals?

I would like to see us follow up with partnerships with a breadstick maker and rekindle the Debortoli deals for cheap Port.

You joke, and it's well deserved, but I think that's the third sponsor in a week. This, HART sport, and possibly Aquim who at very least gave us some cash for the Lukey Mcdonald video about the St Kilda practise match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back