Random obscure cricket footage on the net

Remove this Banner Ad

British Pathe has some incredible stuff. Not really highlights of the play, but they've got enough footage to give you a sense of the times. Great accompaniment to reading about the history.

Get a load of big unit Warwick Armstrong:

It would be good to see these sort of line-ups a bit more often in shield cricket.

We got a bit of a taste this summer before the Ashes but this summer is the exception and not the norm.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...wales-vs-tasmania--sheff-shield-pura-2001-02/

Perennial injuries to WA's bowlers aside, the clash this year (at Newcastle IIRC) was choc full of current and future test players. But yeah, it's only really when England come for the Ashes that those early season games as basic test trials are possible.

Perennial injuries to WA's bowlers aside, the clash this year (at Newcastle IIRC) was choc full of current and future test players. But yeah, it's only really when England come for the Ashes that those early season games as basic test trials are possible.
I think Australian cricket will be much better if we just leave a month gap at the start of each season for shield cricket. Having all the test players play 3 matches will be beneficial for them leading into the tests and for those looking to test themselves against the internationals - something they don't get to do too often.

I would also get rid of this impasse at the moment between cricket boards regarding tour matches. I know it's a tit-for-tat thing but the respective cricket boards need to sort their s**t out because proper first class warm up games is better for everyone. Playing a warm-up game against a team which is lucky to have a combined 50 first class games under their belt is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back