Random Science news and articles

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the place for all the weird, cool or awesome things you may find amongst your travels on the interwebs.

Please post links for all discussion points.

So yeah, I didn't know "hot potting" was a thing until today.

http://www.sciencealert.com/a-man-d...rying-to-hot-pot-in-yellowstone-national-park

"A man who died at Yellowstone National Park back in June was completely dissolved in acidic water after trying to 'hot pot' - or soak himself - in the waters of one of the park's hot springs, an official report has concluded.

Until now, the brutal details of the 23-year-old's death had remained unclear. All that had been reported was that he fell into one of the springs in the Norris Geyser Basin on a Tuesday evening, and by Wednesday, there was nothing left of his body. It had entirely melted away."

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This one is going back a few years.
A group published an article in a reasonably high level journal, Nano Letters, that being fully published obviously managed to pass peer review. The article was around the fabrication of "nano chopsticks" where the authors claimed they could finely tune the angle of contact between two nanorods.

However some more discerning readers contacted the journal letting them know that their images looked a little off...
chopsticks1.jpg

A little unbelievable considering how hard some people find it to pass a good article through reviewers when stuff like this can slip through.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
A group published an article in a reasonably high level journal, Nano Letters, that being fully published obviously managed to pass peer review. The article was around the fabrication of "nano chopsticks" where the authors claimed they could finely tune the angle of contact between two nanorods.

However some more discerning readers contacted the journal letting them know that their images looked a little off...
chopsticks1.jpg

A little unbelievable considering how hard some people find it to pass a good article through reviewers when stuff like this can slip through.
That's unbelievable. I'm working through the peer review process now and it's a nightmare - maybe I should try photoshopping images...

chopsticks1.jpg

Yep. The only thing missing from that was the part where the researchers convinced a bunch of mothers not to vaccinate their children for preventable disease.

So yeah, I didn't know "hot potting" was a thing until today.

http://www.sciencealert.com/a-man-d...rying-to-hot-pot-in-yellowstone-national-park

"A man who died at Yellowstone National Park back in June was completely dissolved in acidic water after trying to 'hot pot' - or soak himself - in the waters of one of the park's hot springs, an official report has concluded.

Until now, the brutal details of the 23-year-old's death had remained unclear. All that had been reported was that he fell into one of the springs in the Norris Geyser Basin on a Tuesday evening, and by Wednesday, there was nothing left of his body. It had entirely melted away."
Speaking of Yellowstone, the springs didn't always look like they do now, ands it's tourists throwing stuff in that has done it
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...or-yellowstones-morning-glory-pool-180954239/

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I found this pretty interesting and cute. Some animals are more like us than one would think.
Made me giggle. Oh and I had Freudensprunge.

Interesting that they say humans ( and rats) aren't ticklish on their hands. Yet play Teddy Bear with any child and you can see the squirming. ( true that may be in anticipation of whats coming)

The idea of safety would be drawn from infancy and a mothers touch. I wonder if the next experiment/study would be to find a link between those who are tickle resistant and those who describe a cold upbringing.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Super important science!

The study of 267 men found medium size breasts were judged as being the most attractive overall in Brazil, Czech Republic and Namibia. Large breasts were judged as being the most attractive in Cameroon. But there was considerable variation in breast size preferences between individuals.

There was less variation when it came to shape. Cross-culturally, the researchers found a systematic preferences for a firm breast shape when compared with more drooping shapes.
http://www.psypost.org/2016/11/stud...uggests-breast-shape-may-important-size-46133

http://www.ehbonline.org/article/S1090-5138(16)30284-7/abstract

And something just a little bit more serious:
Researchers have linked a debilitating neurological disease in children to mutations in a gene that regulates neuronal development through control of protein movement within neuronal cells.
http://neurosciencenews.com/genetics-epileptic-encephalopathy-5615/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27866705

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cannot

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 30, 2016
^^ ""Flat World Champions".
AFL Club
Richmond
Our universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
In all of the directions it can whiz;
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/ab...g-faster-than-the-speed-of-light-intermediate

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Exactly..in hope of afterlife or salvation or whatever, just whole bunch of nonsense..

Singing in unison is a popular feelgod thing
upload_2017-1-4_12-21-21.jpeg

Also, regardless of belief, something cool about participating in a ritual at a place which may have been done for thousands of years

So a low GI sugar patent being filed by an Aussie company
I'd like to read more about it, they are talking about "like in nature" bit are making what appears to be another sweetener for the food industry
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/a...o-patent-the-worlds-first-low-gi-sugar-2017-1

Most things I've read talk about the removal of fibre being as big an issue as the adding of sugar to over doing it
You eat a piece of fruit like an apple skin on and you get some fibre which helps with feeling full much like protein does
It's why you can drink four apples worth of juice more easily than eating four apples

Not sure how much better this would really be

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
So a low GI sugar patent being filed by an Aussie company
I'd like to read more about it, they are talking about "like in nature" bit are making what appears to be another sweetener for the food industry
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/a...o-patent-the-worlds-first-low-gi-sugar-2017-1

Most things I've read talk about the removal of fibre being as big an issue as the adding of sugar to over doing it
You eat a piece of fruit like an apple skin on and you get some fibre which helps with feeling full much like protein does
It's why you can drink four apples worth of juice more easily than eating four apples

Not sure how much better this would really be
What is the requirement to be able to use the term sugar as opposed to legally requiring sweetener?

Not sure it counts as a sugar.

What is the requirement to be able to use the term sugar as opposed to legally requiring sweetener?

Not sure it counts as a sugar.
No idea, but at the end of the day sugars are a type of carb and there are lots of them not just the processed stuff that is the "devil"

Sweetners don't tend to have the carbs just change the flavor so they aren't a sugar

Sugars aren't bad in and of themselves we need sugar it's just that sugar gets added to stuff unnecessarily and good stuff like fibre gets taken out often in both cases for shelf life as much as anything.

I'm interested about it to see what it actually is, low GI sugar sounds a bit like a food industry marketing term

No idea, but at the end of the day sugars are a type of carb and there are lots of them not just the processed stuff that is the "devil"

Sweetners don't tend to have the carbs just change the flavor so they aren't a sugar

Sugars aren't bad in and of themselves we need sugar it's just that sugar gets added to stuff unnecessarily and good stuff like fibre gets taken out often in both cases for shelf life as much as anything.

I'm interested about it to see what it actually is, low GI sugar sounds a bit like a food industry marketing term

artificial sweeteners aren't bioavailable energy, so I think that's the distinction.

I don't know if it's just a marketing term. Glycaemic index refers to the rate of absorbtion/elimination of the sugar compount. There are many types of sugars, the question is really whether it it can gradually convert to glucose in the system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back