Random Science news and articles

Remove this Banner Ad

1712191015310.png
Microsoft, those folks that bought us Microsoft Bob and Clippy, may have knocked off the error problem in Quantum computing by using virtual bits instead of Qubits directly, Big advance if it pans out, can't wait to try out an Quantum computing, AI enhanced Clippy MkII.

French noble, Georges-Louis Leclerc who one hundred years before Darwin had similar ideas about evolution of organisms.

Remember Wallace, of the famous line, came up with similar concepts of evolution independently during Darwin's later life. Ideas arise in the milieu of the times and clearly evolution time had come. A similar thing happened with atoms, the wonderfully named Democritus of Abdera proposed the concept of atoms in classical times, but it was only centuries later the ideas caught on. There was also Xenocrates the Strange, who proposed Quarks......

Peter Higgs just died at a ripe old age of 94. Perhaps one of the best known particle physicists because he proposed a havy boun as the mediator of mass, 40+ years after his insight it was found by CERN with the large hadron collider. A triumph for the Standard Model of particle physics.

It also lead to the discovery of the 5th force, no not it's not love, rather it's called the Yukawa coupling. This “fifth force” of nature complement the gravitational force, the electromagnetic force, the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force. Below is a text book description, which I can't say I really understand.

Yukawa interaction is used to describe the nuclear force between a proton or a neutron, mediated by pions (which are pseudoscalar mesons). A Yukawa interaction is also used in the Standard Model to describe the coupling between the Higgs field and massless quark and lepton fields (i.e., the fundamental fermion particles). Through spontaneous symmetry breaking, these fermions acquire a mass proportional to the vacuum expectation value of the Higgs field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back