Random Science news and articles

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

hmm..lazy pill ?

take away for me was

"Data from a human exercise cohort showed that sprint exercise induced the most dramatic increase in plasma Lac-Phe, followed by resistance training and then endurance training"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1280px-Chirodectes_maculatus.png

A beautiful, big and possibly undescribed Box Jelly described in PNG 'Are you sitting down?': Scientist believes jellyfish caught on film may be new species Nice video. According to Lisa-Ann Gershwin it's a new species but it does look a lot like Chirodectes Maculatus - Chirodectes - Wikipedia The pattern on the bell is similar, but the round markings are open on the PNG beasty. Wikipedia seems to have decided they are the same species, which is likely to my mind, but I wouldn't argue with Lisa. She is an American biologist resident in Oz for many years and is regarded as Australia's foremost jellyfish expert. She developed the Jellyfish app. She's a funny lady, I had spoken to her a couple of times for advice and one stage was going to collect specimens with her for a (failed) PhD. Seems a lifetime ago.

Box Jellies (cubozoans) are very different to other jellyfish, they are active predators who swim well compared to other Jellies that just blob around. They have a neural ring running around there bell along with true eyes, with retinas, corneas and lenses. The most famous is the large Australian Box Jelly or Sea wasp, Chironex fleckeri which causes many deaths worldwide, while a smaller species Carukia barnesi causes the Irukandji syndrome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back