Random Science news and articles

Remove this Banner Ad

Why isn't news like this plastered on the 6 o'clock news?

After a rigorous peer review process in the Australian Research Council, six grants were vetoed last Christmas by the acting education minister for political reasons. This meant several jobs were lost from the research sector on the whim of a politician.

Australia spent a million dollars training me – and now I’m leaving

manners...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So LaMDA had been with friends...Exterminate...Exterminate
Yes, hang on to your hat's boys and girls, the AI singularity event is here, well, maybe, maybe not. Google engineers assure it's not. You can
read a long and fascinating transcript of one of the conversations is here
In some parts it's very convincing, in others it sounds like canned answers and other times I expected it to say 'share and enjoy', like the elevators in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. At the very least it's a magnificent example of natural language processing and a convincing virtual intelligence. Perhaps it's more, the long predicted emergent sentience emerging from a complex neural network. Time will tell.

Yes, hang on to your hat's boys and girls, the AI singularity event is here, well, maybe, maybe not. Google engineers assure it's not. You can
In some parts it's very convincing, in others it sounds like canned answers and other times I expected it to say 'share and enjoy', like the elevators in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. At the very least it's a magnificent example of natural language processing and a convincing virtual intelligence. Perhaps it's more, the long predicted emergent sentience emerging from a complex neural network. Time will tell.

great read, yet to read it really carefully to dissect it, was hoping for a question like do you cry ? and how would you if you physically cannot ?

Alas, just hurry up and get me a fembot already.

Would be nice to get an idea of some sort of delay before the answers were spat out...like if it was instantly well then hmm..here's one I prepared earlier...while a human might pause and think deeply before answering.

Last edited:

So LaMDA had been with friends...Exterminate...Exterminate

Old mate has since disclosed via Twitter that (1) his belief that LaMDA is sentient is based solely on his own religious beliefs; and (2) his religious beliefs are Discordianism.

Feel free to disregard :rainbow:

sticky....no not this post...the mistletoe berries

a bit more techy and tldr but got some really beautiful slides to look at:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back