Random Science news and articles

Remove this Banner Ad

First ever production of 'anything' on another planet by humans makes this real landmark achievement. Well done MIT & NASA. I was going to say they going to need to scale it 1000 fold fairly quickly, then I thought perhaps I should consult Dr Google, then changed my mind and instead I should try to work out, albeit in a rough and ready style.

Moxie makes 6gm oxygen per hr = 4.2 L of pure O2 at standard pressure and temperature. Calculator here
That is the equivalent O2 in 21 L of normal air per hour. (Air is 21% O2)
If they can run it all day and night that's 504 L of pure O2 (24x21L) per day

Human need 8-11,000 litre of air per day,(say 10,000L to make it easy) of which 21% is O2, so 2100 L of pure O2 per day. However there is a catch, and unlike catch 22 this one is in our favour. We don't consume all the oxygen we breathe in, expired air contains 17% oxygen, so we only consume a fifth (21%-17%) of the Oxygen we breathe, so our daily O2 need is 2100/5, so about 400 L per day. Dr Google tells me 550 L O2 How much oxygen does a person consume in a day? | Air Quality

So each person would require the output of one toaster. or a bit more per day Very doable. These are at rest figures so you would need to add more capacity if you want your Martians to do anymore than look at Cat video's. Mind you, lag from Mars will be a bitch.

A death from an attack by a 'pet' kangaroo - First fatal kangaroo attack since 1936 as man killed on property in WA's Great Southern The last kangaroo related death was apparently 1936. The article has some interesting discussion about why roos may attack. Many years ago, while camping I was challenged by a big roo. Each night animals had been around the tent and pulled our rubbish bags apart. Eventually we tied them onto a tree thinking it would be out of reach, but it wasn't. On our last night I woke about 5.00m and could hear tearing noises, so bravely I leapt up and ran outside to shoo the roo away. There was one big male, tearing at the bag, a a few smaller females behind. The male stood up on its back legs and balanced on its tail, then lashed out with of its legs, fortunately missing me. Not wanting to see my bowel lying in the red dust I 'bravely' retreated.

Animal behaviorists will immediately understand how stupid I was to confront the animal in this way, especially with his females around. Heres some video of fighting roos.

For young folks, his video from last century shows Rags the red kangaroo fighting in a TV studio. While it is funny, it's also really dangerous. I don't think the OHS folks were in the studio at the time.

A death from an attack by a 'pet' kangaroo - First fatal kangaroo attack since 1936 as man killed on property in WA's Great Southern The last kangaroo related death was apparently 1936. The article has some interesting discussion about why roos may attack. Many years ago, while camping I was challenged by a big roo. Each night animals had been around the tent and pulled our rubbish bags apart. Eventually we tied them onto a tree thinking it would be out of reach, but it wasn't. On our last night I woke about 5.00m and could hear tearing noises, so bravely I leapt up and ran outside to shoo the roo away. There was one big male, tearing at the bag, a a few smaller females behind. The male stood up on its back legs and balanced on its tail, then lashed out with of its legs, fortunately missing me. Not wanting to see my bowel lying in the red dust I 'bravely' retreated.

Animal behaviorists will immediately understand how stupid I was to confront the animal in this way, especially with his females around. Heres some video of fighting roos.

For young folks, his video from last century shows Rags the red kangaroo fighting in a TV studio. While it is funny, it's also really dangerous. I don't think the OHS folks were in the studio at the time.

pretty sure a Cassowary can do the death blow with one kick too.

Thanks Brooooooce!!!

Now we wait for 10 years to see if it will MISS the earth

I did think about...well where does the reflected heat go ? would it heat up the planet ? then i read that, wohoo it's reflected back into deep space...cooling down our planet...then i thought again...well...if it's reflected sideways or slightly downwards it's gonna hit trees, buildings, mountains, hills, dirt, bitumen, or even some dude standing next to a white car...they surely ain't gonna be painted white !!! so to say yeah it's gonna cool down your 'local' environ...good...but to draw a long bow and say it'll cool the planet...i scoff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did think about...well where does the reflected heat go ? would it heat up the planet ? then i read that, wohoo it's reflected back into deep space...cooling down our planet...then i thought again...well...if it's reflected sideways or slightly downwards it's gonna hit trees, buildings, mountains, hills, dirt, bitumen, or even some dude standing next to a white car...they surely ain't gonna be painted white !!! so to say yeah it's gonna cool down your 'local' environ...good...but to draw a long bow and say it'll cool the planet...i scoff.
See how warm it gets when there is cloud cover at night? How cold it can get, even in the desert, without cloud cover?

A lot of the heat would radiate and continue on out if it doesn't hit anything. I am sure a sciencey guy or girl could explain it better.

more userfriendly read:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back