Random Science news and articles

Remove this Banner Ad

As a follow on from my earlier post about being blown away by the ability of ChatGPT to write programs from simple English commands, this article from the Conversation discusses ChatGPT and other 'generative' AI's and their effects on the creative process.

It has an interesting discussion about creativity.

'the process of execution is a gift, allowing artists to become fully immersed in a task and a practice. It allows them to enter what some psychologists call the “flow” state, where they are wholly attuned to something that they are doing, unaware of the passage of time and momentarily freed from the boredom or anxieties of everyday life.'

This flow state is very real thing. I have heard a number of artists describe it, one used the phrase 'let your hands do the work'. I suspect it's a similar mental state to when sportsmen describe being in 'the zone'.

This one cracked me up. While many folks wish they weren't native, the bin chicken (Australian White Ibis) certainly is.

As a follow on from my earlier post about being blown away by the ability of ChatGPT to write programs from simple English commands, this article from the Conversation discusses ChatGPT and other 'generative' AI's and their effects on the creative process.

'the process of execution is a gift, allowing artists to become fully immersed in a task and a practice. It allows them to enter what some psychologists call the “flow” state, where they are wholly attuned to something that they are doing, unaware of the passage of time and momentarily freed from the boredom or anxieties of everyday life.'

This flow state is very real thing. I have heard a number of artists describe it, one used the phrase 'let your hands do the work'. I suspect it's a similar mental state to when sportsmen describe being in 'the zone'.
Some Kiwi wag asked ChatGPT to write a Nick Cave song.
As you can imagine Nick wasn't impressed with the result.
Nick Cave criticises AI attempt to write Nick Cave lyrics: 'This song sucks'
Then some other wag showed ChatGPT Nick's letter,did lol at the response.
Screenshot_20230117-215752_Twitter.jpg

Big fan of Nick Cave but I have to give this round to the AI chatbot.

Last edited:

Some Kiwi wag asked ChatGPT to write a Nick Cave song.
As you can imagine Nick wasn't impressed with the result.
Nick Cave criticises AI attempt to write Nick Cave lyrics: 'This song sucks'
Then some other wag showed ChatGPT Nick's letter,did lol at the response.
View attachment 1588359

Big fan of Nick Cave but I have to give this round to the AI chatbot.
I didn't mind the lyrics of the original song. They should have got it to do music in the style of Mr Cave.
Microsoft have bought the company so I expect it will be rolled out as part of MS Office or perhaps with windows as Cortana MkII. Microsoft Bob or Clippy could even make a comeback.

I didn't mind the lyrics of the original song. They should have got it to do music in the style of Mr Cave.
Microsoft have bought the company so I expect it will be rolled out as part of MS Office or perhaps with windows as Cortana MkII. Microsoft Bob or Clippy could even make a comeback.
As long as it sounds like a demented,haunted pianola.

Ice, not the sort you find in labs round Geelong, but real water ice, exisits in 20 different forms. This article describes a new form, called Medium Density Amorphous ice, known as MDA (the drug refereneces just keep coming):

"We know of 20 crystalline forms of ice, but only two main types of amorphous ice have previously been discovered, known as high-density and low-density amorphous ices. There is a huge density gap between them and the accepted wisdom has been that no ice exists within that density gap. Our study shows that the density of MDA is precisely within this density gap and this finding may have far-reaching consequences for our understanding of liquid water and its many anomalies."

The 'why' water acts like it does is poorly understood, perhaps this MDA will unlock a few of its puzzles. Hopefully no one will discover a malignant form, like the fictional Ice-nine from Cat's Cradle.

Last edited:
These scientist looked at who was scavenging in the Australian Alps

88% of scavenging was done by Ravens (spring) and Brushtails (winter). There is some video to watch of a Brushtail eating a Kangaroo. In the dense wilds of Richmond I get Brushtails making significant mischief. If I leave the backdoor open at night they come in and pull the bin over and raid the fruit bowel. After watching that video I'm a bit worried they might decide to try some human flesh, it would be an embarrassing way to go, but at least I would get an article like this to honor my passing:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flux Capacitors are now available commercially
SNORT.....where dafuq are the reviews AND previews for this product ?

A bacteria that 'eats' atmospheric H2 and generate a current. Pretty amazing.

Perhaps this will be powering your Apple Watch Series 27
A generation will grow up recharging their phone by holding it to their backside a few times a day.

(Yes I know that's not hydrogen...)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back