Random Things on Your Mind (Part 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes.. and no.

From memory it was started by a guy who migrated here from Portugal & started a Portuguese style chicken joint in Bondi. So, yes, it's Australian, but it's Portuguese style food.

Though it seems to be getting more and more Australian. There's a distinct Aussie feel with their shops, and a fair chunk of their menu, particularly when compared to Nando's (although Nando's is South African owned).

Actually, the balls are faster, they're just generally hit less hard, because if you really pound a racquetball it's going to go flying right out of court since it's so bouncy. Make no mistake about it though, if you have the right technique to actually drive the racquetball properly, it goes like a rocket. Some of the guys in the top division hit the ball so hard it sounds like a gunshot.

But yeah, it's basically squash for people who aren't athletic enough to play squash :p The rules are almost identical (slightly different service rules), but it actually plays fairly differently just because the ball reacts so differently to a squash ball. It's a much more aerobic game - the rallies go for longer, there's more running involved, and it's very difficult to hit a "winner" without playing at least a couple of good shots in advance to get your opponent out of position. Squash on the other hand is more athletic, requiring hair-trigger reaction and lots of lunging. Wrenches the s**t out of your body which is why most of the good squash players are fairly slight.

Of course the reality is the best racquetball players get beaten by squash players, even if they've never played racquetball before. My loss last night was to a state-level squash player who doesn't necessarily do a huge amount with the ball, but he just gets everything back because a racquetball is easier to retrieve than the squash ball he's used to chasing after. There's a dude, Jason Mudge, who is arguably the best active squash player in the state, and he only ever plays racquetball once a year - when there's a tournament in SA with some prize money attached. And he wins it every single year. I don't think he's ever even lost a match.

Racquetball is a hell of a lot of fun though. It hasn't got a very big profile but I encourage anyone to check it out, it's very easy to get into and a brilliant sport for losing weight :thumbsu:

I expect a police officer rocking up to my house in the next 24 hours after finding this in my internet history.

424500_10150590076355824_552100823_9650865_762326842_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

amway...yay or nay?

Friend roped me into one of their presentations about online shopping and the like. Figures look good, just unconvinced that the reward will be commensurate with the effort put in.

amway...yay or nay?

Friend roped me into one of their presentations about online shopping and the like. Figures look good, just unconvinced that the reward will be commensurate with the effort put in.
Nay.

Had a couple of mates involved with it - in the end every time I caught up with them all they did was peddle Amway stuff. Basically avoided them like the plague so I didn't have Amway shoved in my face - and I think to make it work for you you'll probably have to resort to that tactic.

Nay.

Had a couple of mates involved with it - in the end every time I caught up with them all they did was peddle Amway stuff. Basically avoided them like the plague so I didn't have Amway shoved in my face - and I think to make it work for you you'll probably have to resort to that tactic.

Which aint one of my strengths anyway :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back