Random Things on Your Mind (Part 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Man this Dreamworld incident is not cool at all :(

How the hell does something like that happen.

We were talking about it at work and our first thought was 'oh some dickhead's been a smartarse and got out of the ride midway through.' Then when the reports came through that it could be as many as 4 dead you wonder what the hell has gone wrong. These rides aren't like Royal Show rides - they're incredibly safe and well maintained with properly trained staff.

We were talking about it at work and our first thought was 'oh some dickhead's been a smartarse and got out of the ride midway through.' Then when the reports came through that it could be as many as 4 dead you wonder what the hell has gone wrong. These rides aren't like Royal Show rides - they're incredibly safe and well maintained with properly trained staff.
My family were up there two weeks ago, didn't go to Dreamworld but went to all the other parks, just a horrible event. Felt numb when I heard it was four people

Not sure what makes you say this? Id hazard a guess they are all under the same national compliance and safety regulations. Shows would get checked more often by safety officers than a static place like dreamworld.

Not sure what makes you say this? Id hazard a guess they are all under the same national compliance and safety regulations. Shows would get checked more often by safety officers than a static place like dreamworld.

I was thinking more on the fact that the rides are static, and therefore not being constructed and deconstructed regularly. I would assume that rides that don't get transported around the country year-in year-out would be a lower risk than rides that stay in the one spot for 30 years.

As we've seen, it doesn't stop tragedy from happening though and all rides carry an element of risk.

I was thinking more on the fact that the rides are static, and therefore not being constructed and deconstructed regularly. I would assume that rides that don't get transported around the country year-in year-out would be a lower risk than rides that stay in the one spot for 30 years.

As we've seen, it doesn't stop tragedy from happening though and all rides carry an element of risk.
I suppose different sorts of risks, static I would think would get less maintanence and less checks where as mobile rides probably have a higher wear rate and more chance of something being put together wrong.

Seriously??

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-10/adult-colouring-in-helps-women-destress/8010458

Adult colouring classes help Mosman women de-stress
702 ABC Sydney
By Amanda Hoh
Posted 10 Nov 2016, 2:04pm

PHOTO: Colouring is a relaxing activity that has been found to reduce anxiety. (702 ABC Sydney: Amanda Hoh)
RELATED STORY: Bushcare 'good for health' as well as the environment
MAP: Sydney 2000 PHOTO: Jane Broadbere says the adult colouring classes have become a social experience. (702 ABC Sydney: Amanda Hoh)

The classes have been both a cathartic and social experience for many of the women who attend.

"It's comforting, there's no decision making, it's easy. I colour before I go to bed, I sleep better." — Lindy Green

"I enjoy colouring because it relaxes me and it just frees my mind ... gives me peace of mind for the rest of the day." — Cynthia Ransford

One Mosman resident, who did not want her name published, said she started colouring after her husband died.

PHOTO: Many women have found colouring a calming and relaxing activity. (702 ABC Sydney: Amanda Hoh)

"Adult colouring was one of the things suggested as a stress breaker," she said.

"It's mindless, enjoyable, and at the end you can just sit back and think 'that's rather nice'."

Studies confirm colouring reduces anxiety
A 2015 study from the University of New England found that art-making activities, like colouring, significantly decreased anxiety in college-aged students prior to their exams.

Another study published in the Journal of the American Art Therapy Association in 2012 found that "colouring a mandala reduces anxiety to a significantly greater degree than colouring on a plaid design or colouring on a blank paper".

Currently there are at least 10 adult colouring books listed on the UK's Book Depository best sellers list, while consumer comparison site Finder.com.au has Johanna Basford's Lost Ocean adult colouring book listed as one of the top 10 books for 2016.

Basford's first colouring book, Secret Garden, has sold 11 million copies worldwide.

The Mosman class has recently been colouring Bollywood-themed pictures like floral mandalas and decorative animal figures.

"It's therapeutic for people," Ms Broadbere said.

"We can colour in and it can look terrible, but it's only a piece of paper and you can just throw it away."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously??

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-10/adult-colouring-in-helps-women-destress/8010458

702 ABC Sydney
By Amanda Hoh

PHOTO: Colouring is a relaxing activity that has been found to reduce anxiety. (702 ABC Sydney: Amanda Hoh)
MAP: Sydney 2000 PHOTO: Jane Broadbere says the adult colouring classes have become a social experience. (702 ABC Sydney: Amanda Hoh)

The classes have been both a cathartic and social experience for many of the women who attend.

"It's comforting, there's no decision making, it's easy. I colour before I go to bed, I sleep better." — Lindy Green

"I enjoy colouring because it relaxes me and it just frees my mind ... gives me peace of mind for the rest of the day." — Cynthia Ransford

One Mosman resident, who did not want her name published, said she started colouring after her husband died.

PHOTO: Many women have found colouring a calming and relaxing activity. (702 ABC Sydney: Amanda Hoh)

"Adult colouring was one of the things suggested as a stress breaker," she said.

"It's mindless, enjoyable, and at the end you can just sit back and think 'that's rather nice'."

A 2015 study from the University of New England found that art-making activities, like colouring, significantly decreased anxiety in college-aged students prior to their exams.

Another study published in the Journal of the American Art Therapy Association in 2012 found that "colouring a mandala reduces anxiety to a significantly greater degree than colouring on a plaid design or colouring on a blank paper".

Currently there are at least 10 adult colouring books listed on the UK's Book Depository best sellers list, while consumer comparison site Finder.com.au has Johanna Basford's Lost Ocean adult colouring book listed as one of the top 10 books for 2016.

Basford's first colouring book, Secret Garden, has sold 11 million copies worldwide.

The Mosman class has recently been colouring Bollywood-themed pictures like floral mandalas and decorative animal figures.

"We can colour in and it can look terrible, but it's only a piece of paper and you can just throw it away."
I read that our future Queen also does this.

Kate loves to colour! William reveals Duchess of Cambridge enjoys adult colouring books
THE Duchess of Cambridge likes to colour in, just like Prince George and Princess Charlotte, her husband let slip

Seriously??

702 ABC Sydney
By Amanda Hoh

Apparently there has been a massive increase in colouring in books for adults.

Can't be any worse than those playing repetitive computer games on their phone...

If it's a way for people to de-stress, why mock them?
I would love to see a study on the correlation between the reduction in smoking rates and any rise in stress and mental health matters.

Seems to me we've been quick to demonise the physical health negatives of smoking, but have we also considered any mental health benefits? For instance, when you smoke, you are practicing controlled breathing which is one of the most popular forms of meditation and stress relief.

I would love to see a study on the correlation between the reduction in smoking rates and any rise in stress and mental health matters.

Seems to me we've been quick to demonise the physical health negatives of smoking, but have we also considered any mental health benefits? For instance, when you smoke, you are practicing controlled breathing which is one of the most popular forms of meditation and stress relief.
I doubt reduced smoking is much of a cause for increased mental health.

Busier society & things such as social media would have more impact imo.

Important to find time to relieve stress. Personally I always walk my dogs every day to unwind.

Something like yoga would be better for controlled breathing than smoking.

I doubt reduced smoking is much of a cause for increased mental health.

Busier society & things such as social media would have more impact imo.

Important to find time to relieve stress. Personally I always walk my dogs every day to unwind.

Something like yoga would be better for controlled breathing than smoking.
Walking the dog and yoga would be better alternatives, agreed.

But there are people who won't do that. But they smoke. They used to do cigarettes. Now that shits too expensive, so they do meth instead.

Prefer them on ciggies to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back