Random Things on Your Mind (Part 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jasmine is pretty good but yes - a tad pricey. Often been there on 'company pays' gigs - that's never a bad thing :) Really enjoy their 'feed me I'm hungry' or 'feed me I'm starving' menu options.

Kwik Stix at Flinders was a common Friday lunch gig a few years back - not bad and godo value. If the one at parafield is that much better.. may bear checking out!

Vietnam, used to love it. Will still go back occasionally - but the magic isn't there for me that used to be. The bbq quail and cold roll entree's probably the highlight for me. They always pack'em in there so they're obviously doing soemthing right. (and they pack in a ton of chinese/vietnamese folks so must be reasonably authentic as well)

Personally I love Ky Chow on gouger for authentic, excellent, good value cantonese food. If you've never been there - check it out.

I find both the North Adelaide Kwik Stix and the one near Flinders to be a touch greasy, or perhaps soggy is a better term. Still nice, but the one at Parafield by contrast always seems fresher. They have a slightly different menu at Parafield too, most of the big dishes are the same but the side dishes are a touch different (they don't have the fried rice with chinese sausage at Parafield for example, but they have a roast pork special fried rice which is even nicer IMO).

All the Kwik Stix restaurants are nice though. I regularly eat their fried rice on nights where I'm playing racquetball :thumbsu: Will almost certainly head to one of them tonight!

I was engaged to a Vietnamese girl for a while, she loved the food at Vietnam Restaurant but said it wasn't very authentic. I guess it's similar to how I enjoy Outback Steakhouse in the US, even though it's basically an American-style steakhouse with Crocodile-themed decor :D To be fair it's hard to see them as authentic when they don't even use rice noodles in their Pho, hahaha. I love their crispy chicken with ginger and shallot sauce, and of course their cold rolls with the prawn balls are to die for. I also really liked their combination rice hot pot. Haven't been there in ages, I should check them out some time.

While we're a food subject, have many people tried Ethiopian food? Addis Ababa on Port Road (near the corner of Port and South) looks like a bit of a dump but damn the food is nice. Simple fare but the African spices are fantastic. Takes a while to get used to eating without cutlery though! :p

I've found Vietnamese food to be quite bland. Went to a restaurant in Ferryden Park yesterday and ordered crispy chicken with broken rice - was pretty much 1/4 chicken and boiled rice :eek

Would say Vietnamese would be my least favourie type of Asian food

I've found Vietnamese food to be quite bland. Went to a restaurant in Ferryden Park yesterday and ordered crispy chicken with broken rice - was pretty much 1/4 chicken and boiled rice :eek

Get your ass to Victoria Street in Richmond (Vic) and you won't say that ;)

Vietnamese food is not bland at all, but often Vietnamese restaurants fill their menu up with other options (usually based on Chinese cuisine) without really bothering to make them interesting. Crispy Chicken with boiled rice is a perfect example.

Vietnamese food is all about spices, sauces, and really fresh food (as opposed to heavily fried food). Crispy chicken is about frying up chicken and padding the meal with rice. They add it to the menu because otherwise people who don't like trying new things can't find anything that reminds them of their local Chinese takeaway, but it becomes a rather poor advertisement for the quality of their food.

If you do go to another Vietnamese restaurant try getting something that isn't simply some meat on boiled rice, you'll probably enjoy it more :thumbsu: And try the sauces, in my opinion they have the best sauces of any Asian cuisine I've tasted.

Vietemese never had alot of meat so there dishes required a mixture of vegatables to produce the required protien we humans need, takes abit of getting use to.

The Indians had plenty of meat, just crappy stuff so they put curry in it to hide the flavour and even kill bacteria....

Look up bombay duck :eek:

I like indian rice in a thai dish....thai food is quite good, they got abit more meat avalibility...sought of a cross between indian and vietnemese flavours...IMO.

Try Vietnam Sunrise on Henley Beach Road. Great place. Been there many, many times.

You bitch Wall-e, this thread is copyrighted to me!:mad: I am talking to the lawyers now about legal action, you will be hearing from me again.
Where's the copyright?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vietemese never had alot of meat so there dishes required a mixture of vegatables to produce the required protien we humans need, takes abit of getting use to.

Maybe if you're a carnivore. I hate over-the-top meat based food. I'd rather have a small amount of meat and piles of vegetables, so Vietnamese food suits me just fine. And to the person who said Vietnamese food is bland: It isn't overly spicy, but Vietnamese food is all about the fresh herbs and subtle flavours. I guess it's each to their own, but I prefer their food to the overly sweet food you get in most Chinese restaurants in Adelaide.

Went to a place on Gouger St last night called Noodle Kingdom. I've been there half a dozen times now, it is one of my favourites. They make all of their own noodles by hand, and the noodle dishes are so cheap. I had Lanzhou Beef Noodle Soup, and it cost me $9.50 for a HUGE bowl of soup with plenty of noodles and enough beef to satisfy. They also have a little dish of chilli oil on every table so you can adjust your heat as required. If anyone wants a cheap feed of good Chinese food, particularly noodles, check this place out. They are near Ky Chow, and next door to House Of Pearl. PS. Hot waitresses.

You'll love it. Was pretty sharp I thought.

My missus went and said it was pretty average. Has been to a few of their shows. Wouldn't say she's a diehard fan though. Maybe thats why...?

Lol...bigfooty just wished me a happy birthday!

Must admit it wasn't expected........

Well I better do it aswell! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Is it a special one? :thumbsu::D:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back