Random Random thoughts and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Do the Melbourne clubs who still play all their games in Melbourne have that in their contract? Is there a difference between the MCG and Etihad contracts?

Interestingly, if the club in question is based at Etihad it'd be the AFL negotiating with the AFL for changes to the terms...

Theres been no changes to arrangements at Etihad yet, so the over-riding AFL contract is still in place - as it is at the MCG. The AFL simply bought the management company as well as the stadium. The difference is at the MCG - 14 of the 45 games MUST be Collingwood home and away matches. At Etihad it doesnt matter who it is.

Still looking at killing clubs.

They dont have the longest memories do they

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hilariously it's being promoted as a way to increase crowd sizes. The assumption seems to be that the axed clubs' fans will just transition to some other local club so the average crowd size will go up. That logic seems a bit flawed.

Hilariously it's being promoted as a way to increase crowd sizes. The assumption seems to be that the axed clubs' fans will just transition to some other local club so the average crowd size will go up. That logic seems a bit flawed.
Well the last time that happened. The Swans and AFL went from "no one cares" to the biggest club in the town.

AFL, and you could say the FFA, are now even more powerful and able to take advantage and they want to do it again? Lol

Our crowds are about to jump if it happens.

Less teams to devide it by i guess would make the comp avg go up?

That literally was the espoused theory... fewer games in Sydney with the same number of people attending means bigger crowds on average.

The gaping hole in the logic would be "the same number of people attending". Why would Cronulla fans bother showing up to other games in Sydney if their club has been shifted to West Wyalong?

That literally was the espoused theory... fewer games in Sydney with the same number of people attending means bigger crowds on average.

The gaping hole in the logic would be "the same number of people attending". Why would Cronulla fans bother showing up to other games in Sydney if their club has been shifted to West Wyalong?
When the Superleague war ended and the Dragons were force merged with Illawarra I didn't attend for over 10 years, only started going again as a result of my daughters both being passionate about the Dragons.. When Souths was banned their fans didn't move, when North was killed their fans didn't shift to Manly, wonder how many Balmain fans go to Campbelltown to watch Wests?
Flawed arguement on all levels.

When the Superleague war ended and the Dragons were force merged with Illawarra I didn't attend for over 10 years, only started going again as a result of my daughters both being passionate about the Dragons.. When Souths was banned their fans didn't move, when North was killed their fans didn't shift to Manly, wonder how many Balmain fans go to Campbelltown to watch Wests?
Flawed arguement on all levels.
I keep an eye on the Tiges.
Went to the Nest once and hated it.

Well I can't remember the last Sharks game I attended in Sydney and while I did go to the game in Canberra this year, it was the first game I'd attended in years.

I've only ever been to two NRL games in my life. One back in 03 or 04 to Panthers v Storm and last year Panthers v Broncos. I was raised with the AFL so I'm not interested in the other one
Similar except 1978, at Lidcombe and 1979 for a triple header at the Sports Ground. Couldn't be less interested, but everyone's got a different pre Giants and even post Giants story.

The latest silly "why do you post here" comment made me for have a look at the early days of our board. Much to my startlement, I'm about the only poster from back then still regularly posting on here, though Brave New World and Snoochems still pop in from time to time (or at least once this year). Apologies if I missed anyone. Lot lot lot quieter in those days though - except for the "will we poach Hayne" threads, to which we all know the answer now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just left the first of two 200 Club functions at Westconex. Basically an hour with Al McConnell, his laptop and decades of experience. All I can say is wow. That was just amazing. A real inner sanctum experience. He shared so much; club culture, insights on players, game plans and resulting data and analysis, talk through of match day video and so much more. Just simply the best non-game day experiences I have had as a footy fan.

Just left the first of two 200 Club functions at Westconex. Basically an hour with Al McConnell, his laptop and decades of experience. All I can say is wow. That was just amazing. A real inner sanctum experience. He shared so much; club culture, insights on players, game plans and resulting data and analysis, talk through of match day video and so much more. Just simply the best non-game day experiences I have had as a footy fan.
More than a little bit jealous, may have to reconsider next year :)

More than a little bit jealous, may have to reconsider next year :)
I had no idea what to expect. The single function last year was standard drinks and finger food, followed by an MC'd program of speakers, videos and coaches panel with q&a. Sounds like this year's event number two will be of the same scale. This year there are two events. So, this first one was much lower key and far more intimate. Al was brilliant. I reckon that when all is said and done with our first chapter as a club, it will be closed when this man leaves. It will be either with the ultimate success that he has been personally pursuing since the early nineties, or the sadness of having to finally give up with nothing left to give. He deserves no less that being part of premiership glory at the Giants. No matter the outcome, I suspect we'll learn a lot about how much he will have given in a long and fond farewell.

:D We'll expect you to share that wisdom in the coming days. No pressure

:D We'll expect you to share that wisdom in the coming days. No pressure
I am going to disappoint you I'm afraid. We covered things that I won't share here. I respect Al's request not to.

I can safely cover player insights:

- Wilson surprising coaches in recent times in coming out of his shell and leading discussions in the backline group
- Jezza couldn't spell Defence in his first few years, now his defensive game is as good as his attack.
- Chook and Lachie among our emerging vocal on field leaders. Wouldn't have picked Lachie for that, but there you go. Heater and SJ are are our standouts and no surprise there
- Everyone frustrated at the moment, despite ladder position. Al puts this down to the expectations the group is putting on itself. He put so,e perspective on that pointing out each club below us has just as much, if not more to be frustrated about. Except Richmond...they just gotta be happy with where they are right now.

Guys and Gals, who is up for a meet and greet at the Brewery before the Giants v Swans game? Simmofreo Jaffa Fan You guys will surely be up for it? I think General Giant and Ichabod Noodle aren't attending the match, so we'll be without 2 of our "heavy hitters" but it would be good to out faces to 'names'

I'm not expecting it to be a long catch-up, I had to buy 2 tickets behind the Swans Cheer Squad (hahahaha) to secure my ticket. I don't plan on sitting there however, I'll be in the Members Bar (the actual bar, not the thread...)

Guys and Gals, who is up for a meet and greet at the Brewery before the Giants v Swans game? Simmofreo Jaffa Fan You guys will surely be up for it? I think General Giant and Ichabod Noodle aren't attending the match, so we'll be without 2 of our "heavy hitters" but it would be good to out faces to 'names'

I'm not expecting it to be a long catch-up, I had to buy 2 tickets behind the Swans Cheer Squad (hahahaha) to secure my ticket. I don't plan on sitting there however, I'll be in the Members Bar (the actual bar, not the thread...)
Yeah, I'll be across the road at the soulless cauldron watching Arsenal vs Wanderers. Gutted to miss the derby, but the tix were bought last year. I've only ever been to two soccer games before but this one should prove interesting and hopefully a little entertaining. Will be following progress of the mighty Giants on the app.

Yeah, I'll be across the road at the soulless cauldron watching Arsenal vs Wanderers. Gutted to miss the derby, but the tix were bought last year. I've only ever been to two soccer games before but this one should prove interesting and hopefully a little entertaining. Will be following progress of the mighty Giants on the app.
:eek: Olympic Park will be pretty Crowded that night, with the Soccer about the same time. My mild crowd phobia just took a whack.
Hopefully there's a NEAFL game and I'll go over early. Getting home will have direct trains to Syrathfield at least. Just hope they clear the soccer crowd earkier than ours finishes, with a shorter game.
If not it might be like the QF at the station.

Unfortunately not. Only game i can attend will be the grandfinal (if we make it) this year.

Am hoping for a few next year including the Derbys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back