Random Random thoughts and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

olivia.love633
The argument is there that it's not really a GWS GIANTS guernsey...
Does anyone else think GWS should use orange and sky blue as their primary colours? I think they have stayed away from sky blue (except on their training jumper) as to not alienate their Canberra fan base (as ACT is not NSW obviously) I just think for the following reasons:
  • Orange & sky blue go so well together as evidenced by Indian national cricket team, NY Knicks in NBA, Denver Broncos in the NFL (yes, I know navy & blue) plus others I'm sure.
  • The majority of AFL teams have dark colour bases so this creates a point of difference unlike charcoal.
  • Current colours are so similar to West Tigers. Could prevent Parramatta Eels/Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs/Penrith Panthers NRL fans from supporting GWS as secondary team like many AFL fans follow Melbourne Storm.
  • Any New South Welshman not supporting the Swans may support GWS if they at least included the state colour. Like Melbourne Storm/Rebels/Victory/United all include Navy.
  • Charcoal is in my opinion a rather insipid colour. Especially on a rainy day.

olivia.love633

Does anyone else think GWS should use orange and sky blue as their primary colours? I think they have stayed away from sky blue (except on their training jumper) as to not alienate their Canberra fan base (as ACT is not NSW obviously) I just think for the following reasons:
  • Orange & sky blue go so well together as evidenced by Indian national cricket team, NY Knicks in NBA, Denver Broncos in the NFL (yes, I know navy & blue) plus others I'm sure.
  • The majority of AFL teams have dark colour bases so this creates a point of difference unlike charcoal.
  • Current colours are so similar to West Tigers. Could prevent Parramatta Eels/Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs/Penrith Panthers NRL fans from supporting GWS as secondary team like many AFL fans follow Melbourne Storm.
  • Any New South Welshman not supporting the Swans may support GWS if they at least included the state colour. Like Melbourne Storm/Rebels/Victory/United all include Navy.

No.

We are 5 years in mate. Colours are set and everyone is used to them. Kinda like the big G. Its us.

Sky blue and Orange is actually Sydney FC colours.

No.

We are 5 years in mate. Colours are set and everyone is used to them. Kinda like the big G. Its us.

Forgot to list them in my examples. Hasn't stopped Melbourne Storm/Rebels/Victory/United from all using Navy in Melbourne.

No.

Aren't Sydney FC getting rid of the orange, even from their logo now?

And I think blue is a terrible idea. It's obviously the NSW state colour but if we adopted it, would it not give this impression that we feel we are better than the Swans, completely unwarranted too IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot to list them in my examples. Hasn't stopped Melbourne Storm/Rebels/Victory/United from all using Navy in Melbourne.

Sorry should have said Victorian AFL fans
  • Current colours are so similar to West Tigers. Could prevent Parramatta Eels/Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs/Penrith Panthers NRL fans from supporting GWS as secondary team like many *Victorian* AFL fans follow Melbourne Storm/Rebels/Victory/United

Aren't Sydney FC getting rid of the orange, even from their logo now?

And I think blue is a terrible idea. It's obviously the NSW state colour but if we adopted it, would it not give this impression that we feel we are better than the Swans, completely unwarranted too IMO.

Yep.

I was against the Sky Blue as it would feel like we are trying to hard. We arent NSW or the City Of Sydney so shouldnt have it.

I understand the blue from a purely derby side of things with the Swans red but still wasnt a fan.

I was for green and black with either the Razorbacks or Rams as our name.

But love what we are now. Obviously.

olivia.love633

Nah, on several points.

Sky blue is a fairly insipid colour. Never been a fan.

Does Melbourne Storm wearing the Freo Purple put off Victorian supporters of the storm? There is enough of a difference between the oranges between ours and West Tigers and there is a total difference between black and charcoal.

Besides, lose the orange and charcoal combination and you lose the story behind why the colours were chosen in the first place, and what they represent.

Nah, on several points.

Sky blue is a fairly insipid colour. Never been a fan.

Does Melbourne Storm wearing the Freo Purple put off Victorian supporters of the storm? There is enough of a difference between the oranges between ours and West Tigers and there is a total difference between black and charcoal.

Besides, lose the orange and charcoal combination and you lose the story behind why the colours were chosen in the first place, and what they represent.
I have no idea what orange & charcoal are supposed to represent about Western Sydney. Could you please enlighten me.

I have no idea what orange & charcoal are supposed to represent about Western Sydney. Could you please enlighten me.
Sunset over the Blue Mountains/Great Dividing Range as you see looking west of an evening.

Sheeds always was a touch poetic.

Oh and as to Rugby League supporters outside Wests Tigers... hasn't stopped me (Sharks), husband (Raiders) or son (Panthers - what colours are they this year?) backing the Giants.

Penrith Council has gone orange in their marketing, as has Sydney Trains. Orange is just the new black.

What Ellie said.

It's a phenomena fairly common to see a brilliantly orange sunset over the charcoal shadowed landscape below. It's particularly prominent at the escarpment at the foot of the mountains (one of the natural places where Western Sydney becomes Greater Western Sydney). But it also exists wherever the land and the buildings below fall into shadow. It's not black because it's not night yet, it's a definite dark grey charcoal that the landscape take on under such a sunset. And when there are light clouds in the area, they give off the most brilliant orange glow you'd ever see. Often on the train home of an evening I look out and say to myself "it's a Giant sky tonight".

There's also a nod to the Not #FakeTradies who populate the region and help build our community, with their "working class uniform" of a fluro orange top half over a dark coloured bottom half of the shirt you'll see on actual building sites with their saw benches inside the fence line.

But mainly it's the orange sunset over the charcoal shadowed landscape that give us our colours and allow the team to represent the region.

No.

This. I was in favour of blue back in the day, but at this point it'd be dumb to change it. Same deal with the "GWS" moniker.

I was for green and black with either the Razorbacks or Rams as our name.

1616481_1_S.jpg

I think we need to get Marchbank a goal. He's currently the active Giants player with the most games played without a goal at a whole seven games. The all-time leader is Power (20 games, crazy considering he was always a bit of a goalsneak at the Lions), Gilham (15, also the most games played by any player without experiencing a win), Hombsch (9) and O'Rourke (9) - all gone!

On a sidenote, Reid has a (slim) chance to join or overtake Gilham on the winless record. Reid has 14 games without a win, good for second place. If he makes a senior appearance in a win he'll be in the middle of the circle at the age of 27 and in his fifth year at the club - if anyone remembers to get him in there!

Bump!

Reid fell just short of Gilham's record for winless games, after going 2-0 so far this year.

Sunset over the Blue Mountains/Great Dividing Range as you see looking west of an evening.

Sheeds always was a touch poetic.

Oh and as to Rugby League supporters outside Wests Tigers... hasn't stopped me (Sharks), husband (Raiders) or son (Panthers - what colours are they this year?) backing the Giants.

Penrith Council has gone orange in their marketing, as has Sydney Trains. Orange is just the new black.
Well probably easier to accept the colours if you don't already support a western suburbs NRL team (besides West Tigers) & your son is am anomaly. Joking ; P

Remove this Banner Ad

Back