Random Random thoughts and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I lived in Darwin for several years, and I think it's more about not taking life too seriously. They failed to work a crocodile into the story and I think a reporter has a limited career path if this doesn't improve.
They actually rejected statehood in a referendum when it was offerred.

That's only because they didn't want to risk losing cracker night

I lived in Darwin for several years, and I think it's more about not taking life too seriously. They failed to work a crocodile into the story and I think a reporter has a limited career path if this doesn't improve.
They actually rejected statehood in a referendum when it was offerred.
I've seen some of those N.T. News front page articles shared on Facebook. They're very funny! I wouldn't be surprised if some of their journos moonlight as reporters for The Onion.

I think GG has officially named the Bulldogs Mutts forevermore. I've been trialling it on other boards and it works well. Guess the Cheer Squad wouldn't put it on the Banner, but it definitely has a role on BF I think.

I think GG has officially named the Bulldogs Mutts forevermore. I've been trialling it on other boards and it works well. Guess the Cheer Squad wouldn't put it on the Banner, but it definitely has a role on BF I think.

They're out of control on the main board, bumping 6 months old threads just for the point of being dickheads.

They're out of control on the main board, bumping 6 months old threads just for the point of being dickheads.
Yeah
Reading between the lines I think it's BF policy to give the premiers some margin. All it's really done is given a lot their supporters a chance to show their ignorance and lack of class more clearly, I think. Kindest way to put it is they are very inexperienced at being successful.

Okay, so this is way O/T but it looks like I'll be heading down to Melb just after Christmas and will be spending New Year's there. My bestie moved in August this year and I'd planned to have a few weeks off over the festive season as the last two of my working years have been spent working on almost every public holiday.

My friend will be driving up the Hume to spend Xmas with her family and I'll get a ride back with her and fly back to Sydney in early Jan. That will mean that if we leave Boxing Day, I'll have upto eight free days in Melbourne which I plan to make the most of.

So anyway, my friend is still new to Melb and doesn't really know it well. I was in Melb twelve years ago (when I was eleven) with my family, so I can't really remember much. I do remember that Puffing Billy train. My Dad suggested the Great Ocean Road which was one of the first things that came to mind.

Can any of you well-travelled folk give me any suggestions? NYE will be spent in the CBD, two days spent down on the Great Ocean Road; probably stay the night in Lorne (just in tents lol) - other than that, I'm looking for suggestions.

Cheers!

Okay, so this is way O/T but it looks like I'll be heading down to Melb just after Christmas and will be spending New Year's there. My bestie moved in August this year and I'd planned to have a few weeks off over the festive season as the last two of my working years have been spent working on almost every public holiday.

My friend will be driving up the Hume to spend Xmas with her family and I'll get a ride back with her and fly back to Sydney in early Jan. That will mean that if we leave Boxing Day, I'll have upto eight free days in Melbourne which I plan to make the most of.

So anyway, my friend is still new to Melb and doesn't really know it well. I was in Melb twelve years ago (when I was eleven) with my family, so I can't really remember much. I do remember that Puffing Billy train. My Dad suggested the Great Ocean Road which was one of the first things to come to mind.

Can any of you well-travelled folk got any suggestions? NYE will be spent in the CBD, two days spent down on the Great Ocean Road; probably stay the night in Lorne (just in tents lol) - other than that, I'm looking for suggestions.

Cheers!

Vic Markets
Phillip Is Penguins
Bound to be plenty of more age appropriate suggestions as well, I'm an old fogey :)

So anyway, my friend is still new to Melb and doesn't really know it well. I was in Melb twelve years ago (when I was eleven) with my family, so I can't really remember much. I do remember that Puffing Billy train. My Dad suggested the Great Ocean Road which was one of the first things that came to mind.

Can any of you well-travelled folk give me any suggestions? NYE will be spent in the CBD, two days spent down on the Great Ocean Road; probably stay the night in Lorne (just in tents lol) - other than that, I'm looking for suggestions.

Cheers!
Mamacita has very nice Mexican food

You can do a long walk from the CBD along the Yarra and through the Collingwood Children's Farm

^ Don't expect to be able to drive to Lorne at that time of year and just hitch up a tent anywhere.
Not anywhere, no. But hopefully somewhere between Lorne and Apollo Bay - that looks good. I've just been looking up places and with Google Maps' help I'm getting some ideas. I might call up a few parks in the morning and see what the deal is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vic Markets
Phillip Is Penguins
Bound to be plenty of more age appropriate suggestions as well, I'm an old fogey :)
Ha! Well, if it's the nightlife we're talking about, I'm not exactly busting to dabble in the club scene. I don't have to go further than the Panthers Leagues Club to be hit on by sleazy drunk idiots.

Apparently Chapel St. has a more relaxed pub scene than the CBD according to my friend. I'd like to go out one night at least, but we'll see how that pans out.

Mamacita has very nice Mexican food

You can do a long walk from the CBD along the Yarra and through the Collingwood Children's Farm
Cool. I like all kinds of cuisine, including Mexican, so that's cool. I'm a bit of a fitness freak, so a long walk sounds nice at the very least. Bike hire might be another idea which will mean I can get to a lot more places than on foot. Thanks for the great idea! :)

Ha! Well, if it's the nightlife we're talking about, I'm not exactly busting to dabble in the club scene. I don't have to go further than the Panthers Leagues Club to be hit on by sleazy drunk idiots.

Apparently Chapel St. has a more relaxed pub scene than the CBD according to my friend. I'd like to go out one night at least, but we'll see how that pans out.
Lygon Street is also awesome for eats, Melbourne Zoo is up there too

CBD has plenty of good little bars, but check out where you're going beforehand otherwise you'll never find them. Food and drink is the only reason I can think of for going to Melbourne proper.

Is there anything special about Melbourne Zoo above and beyond Taronga?
I haven't been to Taronga for a few years, but from memory Melbourne allowed you a much better view of the animals, as a photographer this put it well above, but that may not match your personal perspective.

I haven't been to Taronga for a few years, but from memory Melbourne allowed you a much better view of the animals, as a photographer this put it well above, but that may not match your personal perspective.
Well, I've recently aquired a 2009 Canon 50D as my Dad upgraded to a new 7D Mark II. I have no idea how to use an SLR camera, so for the moment I've just been using it on auto LOL.

I'm certainly not much of a photographer. I was told by my Dad that I have a reasonable eye and my composition is good. It's just I find it all too tedious in manual mode. I'd be much better served with a high quality Point-and-Shoot camera.

If your fit and dont mind a walk with views the Westernport side of Mornington Peninsula has heaps of boardwalks and tracks through the sand hills. Cape Schank, Bushrangers Bay, the blowhole, Flinders and down at Portsea there is london bridge. Holiday season might be busy though. Arthurs Seat just reopened the new chair lift the other week.

Could head up to Mt Dandenong, Sky High looks back over the city, there is heaps of walking tracks around there, climb the 1000 steps at Tremont.

If your fit and dont mind a walk with views the Westernport side of Mornington Peninsula has heaps of boardwalks and tracks through the sand hills. Cape Schank, Bushrangers Bay, the blowhole, Flinders and down at Portsea there is london bridge. Holiday season might be busy though. Arthurs Seat just reopened the new chair lift the other week.

Could head up to Mt Dandenong, Sky High looks back over the city, there is heaps of walking tracks around there, climb the 1000 steps at Tremont.
All sounds great. I think going up to the Dandenong ranges sounds great. My friend lives in the western suburbs and looking at Google Maps all that stuff is east. That shouldn't be a problem, I'll just have to make an itinerary before I go and stick to it so I don't just sit around and let days melt away.

As someone who has been to Melbourne Zoo a couple of times and Taronga heaps, the main differences are different animals and Melbourne Zoo is flat. Taronga's got pretty good sightlines these days, and I haven't been to Melbourne's since their Commonwealth Games so I can't comment on their's as I know they've done a ton of renovations since then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back