Random Random thoughts and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand mate.

But i work 24/7 365 days a year. Penalty rates are an important part of my wage.

Without it im in a much worse position and it doesnt make missing xmas and every other family day worth it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Not to mention that it incentivises folk to work those hours. Mrs Jaffa has made a career out of working nights and weekends with the trade-off being she works less hours overall.

Don't get me wrong I would love to be paid on my Sundays and public holidays. Just stating that there is a large portion of workers that already don't get penalties

I work 8 straight days and everyday is no more special than the other

Don't get me wrong I would love to be paid on my Sundays and public holidays. Just stating that there is a large portion of workers that already don't get penalties

I work 8 straight days and everyday is no more special than the other

Understand mate.
But
The point is that this effects mostly people on the lowest wages as they count on the penalties. Without it they hit rock bottom.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The other thing to remember here is real wages for at least low to middle incomes has been going backward. Wage increases in Australia are generally not keeping up with cost of living increases. This is just a further hit on those that can't afford it. I am not affected, but angry for those who are. This coming from someone who leans more to the right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. No-one extra, just greater profits for the caterers!
Actually when I compare the catering at Spotless with the SCG, ANZ and AO where I've attended recently I hope they are making a good living. The prices and options are way better.

This is completely random I know, but I just bought one of those smart arse TV's. Logic went It's really hard to stream from a Note 5 with no cables so a Samsung TV must be easy, probably is but it's too smart for me.
I did notice I can sign up to Foxtel go pretty easy. My question is does anyone use it? It's $29 a month but would be ok if I get all the AFL and international rugby, do you? I've been trying to figure it out on the website and not sure. As a last resort I'll sign up to the "free trial" and try to jump through the hoops to cancel if it's not.

I work shift work and if I were to be informrd that my penalty rates were being cut, I'd be looking for a new industry of employment.

Whilst this isn't practical advice for others - it's my reality. I won't get out of bed for anything less than the appropriate loadings for any shfit that isn't 9-5.

I do feel for the hospitality and other industries, especially the low paid industries, which sees its workers affected by the changes.

My cousin in S.A. told me that over there, many pubs and establishments don't open on Sundays because it costs too much in wages.

I'm not sure what to make of it all, really. A state like S.A. where the economy is a bit stagnant needs to boost its economy somehow. Hopefully any benefits can from this initiative can be realised by ALL.

I understand why people are outraged but playing devils advocate here. I don't get penalty rates for working weekends or public holidays
With all due respect, that's not really playing Devil's Advocate. All you're doing is saying I don't get any penalty rates so you guys shouldn't complain when you have yours reduced. I'm not having a crack, but that's just how your post reads.

I'm not sure what industry you work in; it doesn't really matter anyway. Playing Devil's Advocate, I would say that there's an argument for some establishments not being able to afford to pay all their staff $50+ dollars p/h on a Sunday.

I don't know all the facts, but if the reality is that paying the mandated penalty rate means a business can't open for a profit then something must change. I remain sceptical as to whether this really is the case for many, though.

With all due respect, that's not really playing Devil's Advocate. All you're doing is saying I don't get any penalty rates so you guys shouldn't complain when you have yours reduced. I'm not having a crack, but that's just how your post reads.

I'm not sure what industry you work in; it doesn't really matter anyway. Playing Devil's Advocate, I would say that there's an argument for some establishments not being able to afford to pay all their staff $50+ dollars p/h on a Sunday.

I don't know all the facts, but if the reality is that paying the mandated penalty rate means a business can't open for a profit then something must change. I remain sceptical as to whether this really is the case for many, though.
Bear in mind penalty rates were introduced at a time when getting the weekend off was the aim. The intention was for businesses to close on weekends so employees could have the weekend off. They had the option of doing business if it was important enough to pay the price.
Not personal but your argument sounds a bit like you want the penalties but also have the services available on weekends at no cost and that comes across a bit selfish.
I get Nurses cant work office hours, and really for the hoops you are required to jump through to become one, and the stresses of the job, it's only the penalty rates that make it anything like a fair wage.
In an egalitarian country the same rights apply to everyone though.
I dont know Conliglio no 1's circumstances but for contractors and people on high wages is the only exception to me.

I work weekends at the moment. It's crap. I'd much rather be at uni 3 days a week and work for two (or the other way around). But I guess I have to grin and bear it as that won't be the case in a few years and I'll be working teachers hours
Ha, don't underestimate the work you do outside of contact hours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back