Random Random Thoughts Rebooted

Remove this Banner Ad

This is going to be awful. The whole bridge just collapsed like a pack of cards!

It's insane that the ship didn't just slightly glance the bridge. They drove the thing flush into a pylon. What in the hell was the captain doing? Also, how poorly designed is the bridge that the pylons are not protected from the potential collision with a shipping container.

It's insane that the ship didn't just slightly glance the bridge. They drove the thing flush into a pylon. What in the hell was the captain doing? Also, how poorly designed is the bridge that the pylons are not protected from the potential collision with a shipping container.
It was 2AM in the morning so I'm hoping traffic on the bridge was low at the time.

Must be an old bridge because I couldn't imagine a modern one just completely collapsing like that.

Struggling a bit mentally currently.

First of all just starting off with I know I am an incredibly lucky individual, married, own a house (well mortgaged) and am fit and do a sport at a high level.

The world cup was an exceptional experience, I got to represent my country and complete a dream (and I still have the Grand Prix left (which is higher level for individual events (not teams)).

But right now I'm kind of stuck with what is next?

• I saw high professional level athletes dope in Italy (multiple, not just a few) and an international coach suggested I do it as well
  • I'm 33, not getting younger so don't have much improvement left, I was also the shortest competitor out of 270 people at the event.
  • Younger fencers are understandably overtaking me at a rapid rate now, but I am too young for vets.

Training is tough, you don't drink, you eat clean, my usual week consists of 3-4 fencing sessions each 2 hours log, and 4x S&C sessions with agility. You lose time out of your day and week. Let alone the constant niggles and injuries (currently have torn PCL in right knee, have had fractures to back, broken ribs)

Let alone the financial side of things (spend upwards of $180 a week on it, before travel, comp fees).

Logically I should be thinking about retirement at the end of the year, but I kind of feel lost without it, been doing it all my life and identify as a fencer/ athlete a bit. Especially without a goal in front of me.

Sorry for the rant/ rumble. And know it's in the minor side of things especially compared to other people's worries but just needed to vent somewhere

Struggling a bit mentally currently.

First of all just starting off with I know I am an incredibly lucky individual, married, own a house (well mortgaged) and am fit and do a sport at a high level.

The world cup was an exceptional experience, I got to represent my country and complete a dream (and I still have the Grand Prix left (which is higher level for individual events (not teams)).

But right now I'm kind of stuck with what is next?

• I saw high professional level athletes dope in Italy (multiple, not just a few) and an international coach suggested I do it as well
  • I'm 33, not getting younger so don't have much improvement left, I was also the shortest competitor out of 270 people at the event.
  • Younger fencers are understandably overtaking me at a rapid rate now, but I am too young for vets.

Training is tough, you don't drink, you eat clean, my usual week consists of 3-4 fencing sessions each 2 hours log, and 4x S&C sessions with agility. You lose time out of your day and week. Let alone the constant niggles and injuries (currently have torn PCL in right knee, have had fractures to back, broken ribs)

Let alone the financial side of things (spend upwards of $180 a week on it, before travel, comp fees).

Logically I should be thinking about retirement at the end of the year, but I kind of feel lost without it, been doing it all my life and identify as a fencer/ athlete a bit. Especially without a goal in front of me.

Sorry for the rant/ rumble. And know it's in the minor side of things especially compared to other people's worries but just needed to vent somewhere

Mate you have already achieved more than most of us will at any sport, so you could stop tomorrow and be incredibly proud and rightly so.

I guess only observing from a very distant knowledge of what you are up too here, but don't you do it because you love it? You have worked hard and got to some amazing highs , but fencing doesn't define you. You still work outside of the sport, you have your wife , you support a great footy team.

Like enjoy the sport? you don't even need to keep trying to be elite at it perhaps? can't you just remember why you do it for fun and fitness (maybe you cannot and it's all in career wise sorry :p)

But yeah simple view here, but if it's bumming you out , get back to basics and have fun, keep fit, enjoy your life , be merry, be with your wife, enjoy the banks house, have a drink , watch a premiership.

Above all be proud of how great you have been and enjoy the achievements that will keep coming your way in or out of fencing .

Never apologise for venting either, * that we are all here for each other

Mate you have already achieved more than most of us will at any sport, so you could stop tomorrow and be incredibly proud and rightly so.

I guess only observing from a very distant knowledge of what you are up too here, but don't you do it because you love it? You have worked hard and got to some amazing highs , but fencing doesn't define you. You still work outside of the sport, you have your wife , you support a great footy team.

Like enjoy the sport? you don't even need to keep trying to be elite at it perhaps? can't you just remember why you do it for fun and fitness (maybe you cannot and it's all in career wise sorry :p)

But yeah simple view here, but if it's bumming you out , get back to basics and have fun, keep fit, enjoy your life , be merry, be with your wife, enjoy the banks house, have a drink , watch a premiership.

Above all be proud of how great you have been and enjoy the achievements that will keep coming your way in or out of fencing .

Never apologise for venting either, * that we are all here for each other
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks The King! and Mister B :)

Sorry again, just been struggling a bit.

Going to give it one last big shot then just reevaluate from there.
Don't apologise. I can understand in some ways how this would be confronting. Much of my identity is linked with teaching. If something happened that I could no longer teach, I'd be lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Countdown to the draft and trade thread is at 3 days which means it'll open on April 1st. Which is April Fools Day. It won't open at all.

Ticky009 is playing us all

images

Countdown to the draft and trade thread is at 3 days which means it'll open on April 1st. Which is April Fools Day. It won't open at all.

Ticky009 is playing us all
I see someone has twigged to my cunning plan🤣🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back