Analysis Rank 'em 2017 Trade Period synopsis

Remove this Banner Ad

For west coast i'm very happy with what we have done and how it lines up. If we finish top 10 we likely downgraded our first round pick next year at absolute worst by 10 places and gained 3 extra second round picks in this draft in the process. Whether our trade period is a succcess will completely come down to who we draft with the picks and how successful those players are.

People think we will slide however that is almost solely on the basis of having mitchell and priddis retire. The truth is priddis was horse s**t for most of the year although he played well in the last 1/4 and extra time against port and in the smashing we received from GWS. Mitchell was similar except he had a couple of really good games during the h+a rounds. If nicnat comes back at full power combined with a few other changes i think we'll be fine. Get a couple of major injuries to key midfielders and we are rooted however.

We now have 5 picks inside the top 40 (the most we've had in a decade) The success of our entire period will come down to who is taken. If we can pick up Tim Kelly with pick 26 (im almost certain Carlton will take him with 30 if we don't) Him combined with Ah Chee i see being best 22 midfielders for us from round 1 next year.

With our other picks We realistically need to take best available with our first (the larger part of the West Coast board are hoping for either Hunter Clark, Charlie Constable, Jack Higgins or Andrew Brayshaw if he slides that far.

With our other 3 second rounders I would be absolutely stoked if Bonar was there at 21 and we took him, Sam Taylor at 37 (he would probably go later but this will likely be our last pick and we need one developing for when Mackenzie & Schofield are gone / he's not likely to be there by the time we'd have our next pick after if we take one) and either Worple, Lachie Fogerty, Spargo with pick 32.

I would find it hard to believe anyone could be critical of the clubs process and off season if we finished up walking away from it with

Trade: Brendon Ah Chee

13 Clark/Constable/Brayshaw/Higgins
21 Aiden Bonar
26 Tim Kelly
32 Charlie Spargo
37 Sam Taylor

R1 Hayden Schloithe/Bailey Banfield
R2 Scott Jones

Plus we have Last years first round pick Daniel Venables ready to debut early next season after this one was wasted recovering from injury, Jake Waterman who i'm of the belief is almost certain to be a 100+ game 3rd tall / medium marking forward, Willie Rioli fitness pending ready to step in as a small forward and Francis Watson just upgraded from the Cat B rookie list. (this kid could be something really special)

Truth be told we are 2 mid tier mids and 1 genuine A grade mid off challenging for the flag. You don't lead for more time during H+A than any other side because you're completely s**t. We lost close games because our other mids couldn't hold the fort up covering how pitiful defensively Priddis, Mitchell & Gaff are when the opposition has the ball for whole games. Everyone else was ****ed because of it by 3/4 time.

This is a myth. We’ve brought in three FA’s but got off the books the salaries of Lobbe, Trengove, Impey, Young, Ah Chee, Austin, Monfries, Krakouer and most likely Matt White.

Lobbe and Trengove alone cover Rockliff and Motlop’s wages. Watts will be on similar to Impey.

Our cap is just peachy. No player had indexed wages increases based on the new salary cap either.
Think you are still paying for some of Lobbe, but Port on paper had a strong trade period.

Lobbe was for pick 95, you cretin. Hardly selling the farm, is it?
No harm in having a back up if/when Kreuz gets injured. Plus no impact on our salary cap with only 2 players on more than $600K for 2018.
Your paying $500k of Lobbe's salary making him your 3rd highest paid player.....and your playing him in the twos.

That's not good trading.

Not sure you should be calling anyone a cretin with those figures.

Carlton very underrated there

For some reason, we were marked down for not getting players we were interested in who chose other clubs. It really shouldn't affect what we actually did. Maybe we offered less money and stuck to our guns?

Your paying $500k of Lobbe's salary making him your 3rd highest paid player.....and your playing him in the twos.

That's not good trading.

Not sure you should be calling anyone a cretin with those figures.

If we are paying $500k of his salary, it's not that high these days. We needed an experienced back up ruck. It's bad practice to pay and frontload young players too much and we need to reach the minimum cap. Lobbe is praised for his work ethic and attitude. He may be of assistance to a developing midfield.

If we are paying $500k of his salary, it's not that high these days. We needed an experienced back up ruck. It's bad practice to pay and frontload young players too much and we need to reach the minimum cap. Lobbe is praised for his work ethic and attitude. He may be of assistance to a developing midfield.
Probably better value than Palmer...

Probably better value than Palmer...

Case in point. Palmer and Carlton have mutually negotiated his exit with a year left. No doubt we have paid some of his last year. He wants to head back to the WAFL and we needed to delist someone. Shows we have the cap space to eat that sort of payout.

Case in point. Palmer and Carlton have mutually negotiated his exit with a year left. No doubt we have paid some of his last year. He wants to head back to the WAFL and we needed to delist someone. Shows we have the cap space to eat that sort of payout.

You are better off though rather than taking the Lobbe's/Palmer's of the world and paying their contracts, you should be front loading the young stars that you have.

I like what Carlton have done since SOS arrived and like your direction, but, realistically there are a few weird decisions on the mature age recruits that are questionable.

You should be looking at the Witts/Nankervis, etc... of the world rather then a washed up Ruckman in Lobbe no matter what the draft pick used.

You are better off though rather than taking the Lobbe's/Palmer's of the world and paying their contracts, you should be front loading the young stars that you have.

I like what Carlton have done since SOS arrived and like your direction, but, realistically there are a few weird decisions on the mature age recruits.

You should be looking at the Witts/Nankervis, etc... of the world rather then a washed up Ruckman in Lobbe no matter what the draft pick used.

Witts and Nankervis were intended to be number 1 rucks. We don't need a number 1 ruck. We delisted Korcheck and Gorringe and needed an experienced ruck in case Kreuzer goes down. Port are paying some of his salary. Lobbe is purely insurance.

Palmer was a salary dump for getting Marchbank and Pickett cheaper. This tactic has served us well.

We are reigning in our contracts everywhere. Not overpaying for anybody until we have to hit the FA market in a big way. We have learned from the Gibbs situation that paying most of the money in the first couple of years makes a player approachable with a new lucrative contract. We will try not to go down the path as much as possible.

Witts and Nankervis were intended to be number 1 rucks. We don't need a number 1 ruck. We delisted Korcheck and Gorringe and needed an experienced ruck in case Kreuzer goes down. Port are paying some of his salary. Lobbe is purely insurance.

Palmer was a salary dump for getting Marchbank and Pickett cheaper. This tactic has served us well.

We are reigning in our contracts everywhere. Not overpaying for anybody until we have to hit the FA market in a big way. We have learned from the Gibbs situation that paying most of the money in the first couple of years makes a player approachable with a new lucrative contract. We will try not to go down the path as much as possible.

Like I said I like what your are doing. I really like the young talent at Carlton and your building list.

I just don't see the point in Lobbe. If he is a back up, you may as well have rookie drafted a star in the VFL/WAFL/etc...... whats the point in bringing in Lobbe? He is not going to help develop your list and he won't be near your premiership tilt? I honestly do not understand that.

On Palmer, if you took the salary dump in backroom negotiations for Marchbank and Pickett that makes sense.

Extraordinary how quickly intimate details of Lobbe's contract has made it into the public forum.

Like I said I like what your are doing. I really like the young talent at Carlton and your building list.

I just don't see the point in Lobbe. If he is a back up, you may as well have rookie drafted a star in the VFL/WAFL/etc...... whats the point in bringing in Lobbe? He is not going to help develop your list and he won't be near your premiership tilt? I honestly do not understand that.

On Palmer, if you took the salary dump in backroom negotiations for Marchbank and Pickett that makes sense.

Lobbe has exposed form at AFL level. I'm not sure the words star and VFL/WAFL go together as it doesn't necessarily translate to the big stage. We've certainly gone that way before and not done too well. The word is that Lobbe is of great character and a good person to have around the team. If he can demonstrate work ethic and instruct on field, even in the VFL, he is worth the spot. David Teague is back from SA. I wonder if he had a hand in getting Lobbe over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lobbe has exposed form at AFL level.

A few years ago yes. So was a player like Mayne/Tippett/etc...... A good player years ago doesn't mean they are good now. Just means they have a contract.

The word is that Lobbe is of great character and a good person to have around the team. If he can demonstrate work ethic and instruct on field, even in the VFL, he is worth the spot.

If this is the case with a move for depth/transitioning him into a coach/key part of the club then I can see that the move is smart. Purely from a list management view, I do not see the point. I honestly thought he was stuck at PA after the Queensland clubs passed and I thought that is where he would be.

A few years ago yes. So was a player like Mayne/Tippett/etc...... A good player years ago doesn't mean they are good now. Just means they have a contract.

If this is the case with a move for depth/transitioning him into a coach/key part of the club then I can see that the move is smart. Purely from a list management view, I do not see the point. I honestly thought he was stuck at PA after the Queensland clubs passed and I thought that is where he would be.
He doesn't need to be a world beater. We have a good ruckman. We need a serviceable ruckman to call on if need be. That he appears to be a good influence on the track/around the club is all the better.

I like what Carlton have done since SOS arrived and like your direction, but, realistically there are a few weird decisions on the mature age recruits that are questionable.

I tend to agree about the mature age recruits, it's almost as if we deliberately choose them as 'fodder' rather than pick someone who may actually have a chance of making it long term. Perhaps we want a few 'yes men' for specific jobs who are under no illusions that they will be on the list for long and won't interfere with our long term plans by demanding slightly bigger/longer contracts. If it's not that, then I've got nothing!;)

For some reason, we were marked down for not getting players we were interested in who chose other clubs. It really shouldn't affect what we actually did. Maybe we offered less money and stuck to our guns?
Yeah carlton easily up near the top of the list for mine. Brought in some value targets and traded out Gibbs and received a sleigh-full of riches. Easily a 8 or 9

We need to reach 95% of salary caps thats going up next season.. what choice do we have other than overpaying kids.

52% of our list after the draft will be in their 1st-3rd years. We only have 12 players over 24 years old and players like Simpson, Thomas, Rowe, White Alex Silvagni might not be on the list next season.. which means we will again need to find a way to reach 95% of salary caps.. the flexibility in TPP is a welcomed change but also challenging to reach it

We need to reach 95% of salary caps thats going up next season.. what choice do we have other than overpaying kids.

52% of our list after the draft will be in their 1st-3rd years. We only have 12 players over 24 years old and players like Simpson, Thomas, Rowe, White Alex Silvagni might not be on the list next season.. which means we will again need to find a way to reach 95% of salary caps.. the flexibility in TPP is a welcomed change but also challenging to reach it

I understand that, however you can get creative with front loading contracts and loading up future salary cap space for when the time is right to land the big fish. For example you would have players on multi year contracts, so just massively front load so those players are playing for next to no cap space next year, the year after, etc....

I understand that, however you can get creative with front loading contracts and loading up future salary cap space for when the time is right to land the big fish. For example you would have players on multi year contracts, so just massively front load so those players are playing for next to no cap space next year, the year after, etc....

I am not too concerned about this trade - there is high possibility we are unable to front load anymore and pay Simmo, Daisy et al what they are woth and not more. I can understand how it looks but if Kreuzer goes down injured we know we have a handy back up

Carlton did great this trade period with Gibbs and Kennedy deals but have they actually seen Lobbe play?

Despite his one decent season he is flat out terrible. I'm fairly sure Carlton only took him so they could meet salary cap requirements
I'm kinda inclined to agree. Gibbs was on big money and Carlton were already barely meeting the minimum salary cap requirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back